PDA

View Full Version : Camelot Books, Hamshire Pewter????

nj2nh
06-29-2008, 10:06 PM
One of my favorite places of all time in Wolfeboro was Camelot Books. I loved walking through and checking out the books, picking up a few trinkets (as a kid and for my kids) and buying blocks of cheese. I was distressed to see it empty last week. First the giant nutcracker disappeared and now the store. Anyone know the story?

Secondly, did Hampshire Pewter just move or is it gone?

Enquiring minds want to know.

nj2nh (and back again :()

new boater
06-30-2008, 05:05 AM
Hampshire Pewter has a wonderful shop just around the corner from Main St. It is on Mill Street at their factory.

Heaven
06-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Camelot is gone, re-opened with new name and new owner.

rrr
06-30-2008, 07:24 AM
The gentleman who ran it said it was time to retire - although it did seem odd to stay open through such a snowy winter and then close as the weather got good...
We went in to stock up on the famous creamed cheddar but he told us not to fear - the Hunter's new shop on Railroad Ave where Julia's used to be (between Black's and Bradley's) will be stocking his cheese. :liplick:

chocophile
06-30-2008, 09:51 PM
There was a long article about Camelot Books' closing in the Granite State News last week. Their website is by paid subscription (it seems). It does say that the owner was in business there since 1964, and chose the name as reminiscent of John F Kennedy. The article has some nice comments about Wolfeboro during the entire period of time.

And yes, Sally Hunter has creamed cheddar now at her shop on Railroad Avenue, Butternuts. In fact, the old counter from Camelot was moved to Butternuts. I think the article said something about mail order as well. You could probably call Butternuts for more info.

tis
07-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Rumor has it, and notice I said RUMOR, that Camelot will now be a wine shop.