PDA

View Full Version : Signing our posts

NH_boater
06-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I think that Rich has a wonderful idea (http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=74048&postcount=279), signing his post. I know this has been discussed before. My guess is that many things posted would not have been said in a face to face conversation, or would not have been made with identities openly known.

Maybe this small, simple gesture will promote more reasonable dialog and more civil communication.

For those unwilling to sign their posts with their real, full name, I have to ask why not?

ITD
06-26-2008, 12:33 PM
I think that Rich has a wonderful idea, signing his post. I know this has been discussed before. My guess is that many things posted would not have been said in a face to face conversation, or would not have been made with identities openly known.

Maybe this small, simple gesture will promote more reasonable dialog and more civil communication.

For those unwilling to sign their posts with their real, full name, I have to ask why not?

Michael Costello

Because even though your post is thoughtful and sincere and this site is very well run.... I believe were it not for the untiring efforts of our webmaster, this forum would look very different and not so nice. You just have to look to the beginning of this thread, where Fat Lazy Less' name was hijacked in a newspaper, to see why it is not prudent or smart to publish your name in a forum like this.

With few exceptions I think most people are sincere in what they post here. But some seem to troll and we have no idea what gets moderated out by Don. In the end, when I post, I try to make sure I would say it to someone's face, although I agree, some probably get braver hiding behind a screen name, they are usually easy to pick out.....

wildwoodfam
06-26-2008, 01:45 PM
I second ITD's thoughts and would add that in an age where people hijack not only names but personal information and create all sorts of havoc it is not smart to post your name to a public website. While many of us (hopefully all - but i am a realist) are respectable people and upstanding citizens, you know that there are trollers always looking for that one slip up - weak link in the chain - to jump in and do what they have come to do - identity fraud is real and it can ruin a life.

Be careful where you sign your name.

webmaster
06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
For those unwilling to sign their posts with their real, full name, I have to ask why not?Unfortunately there have been several cases of stalking and harassment of some members over the 10 years since the forum opened. I do not recommend posting full names or identifying information for this reason. A few regular posters could tell you some disturbing stories.

I received a very scary (anonymizer) email several years ago from someone that was apparently unhappy with my moderation decisions. After calling me Hitler and the other usual stuff they made it clear that they knew where I lived and details about my children. The message ended with "Watch your back Donny".

The overwhelming majority of members on this forum are nice people and I try hard to keep it that way. However, there are too many nuts out there on the Internet to reveal any personal information.

A while ago a town in Massachusetts tried to pass a law requiring full names on a local forum because they were unhappy with some of the posts criticising town officials. I believe the intent of the law was to allow retaliation, not just honest discussion. McDude could tell you more about that case.

If you post your full name in a message you do so at your own risk. I do not recommend it.

Don

SIKSUKR
06-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I fully agree with the intent of posting your name but I have seen even in this thread that with the tone of a very few members,I would not want those people threatening my family.There are some real vermin out there and it's evident by their blood thirsty posts.Stay safe and understand that there is a certain amount of this behavior that will happen anywhere in life.And another "hats off" to our moderator.

VtSteve
06-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Great points Don.

Ones that should be headed. I've seen it happen as well.

NightWing
06-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I think that Rich has a wonderful idea, signing his post. I know this has been discussed before. My guess is that many things posted would not have been said in a face to face conversation, or would not have been made with identities openly known.

Michael Costello

The signing of a name would not add credibility to the post because we have no way of knowing if the John Smith, Paul Young, BJ Williams, Elizabeth Wilson, (All real names somewhere but used for example) and so forth are the true identity of the poster. Even worse, if the name of a real local person was used as a bogus identity on this forum, the reputation of that person in his or her community could be harmed, depending on the type of posts attributed to that name.

I think the present method of anonymous posters is a good compromise of security and familiar identification.

I have to leave now to go hang upside down in the barn until night falls.;)

SAMIAM
06-26-2008, 04:07 PM
So.....ITD.....you still believe that FLL's story was hijacked?

ITD
06-26-2008, 04:29 PM
So.....ITD.....you still believe that FLL's story was hijacked?

If you are talking about the reply in the Union Leader, yes I do believe him. He hasn't been one to back away from controversy. I think that if he had done it he would have owned up to it. I also think it is very easy to steal a screen name like FLL and post something on another site. I think we should all give him the benefit of the doubt and accept his statement that he wouldn't do something like that. Put yourself in his position, it's nearly impossible to prove that you didn't do something like that if someone did it to you. Not a good spot to be in.

That being said, it does feel funny defending Less since he and I seem to be political polar opposites, but I still believe him.

idigtractors
06-26-2008, 04:42 PM
I think that Rich has a wonderful idea (http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=74048&postcount=279), signing his post. I know this has been discussed before. My guess is that many things posted would not have been said in a face to face conversation, or would not have been made with identities openly known.

Michael Costello

One reason most do not sign out is because we know most of the people and their forum sign it name. Also, what is stopping me from signing anyones name to a post under a new made up forum ID? :)

froggy
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Owner, webmaster, originator, moderator, whatever the title, and all contributors or posting people.....

I am a member of two forums I refer to almost daily; one is open, but has a members only section (paid up with the large trade association that runs it). The other is run privately, and there is an annual fee, small but a fee. BOTH require a full name be used in the registration and the user name. In addition to the originator or owner, both have several volunteer moderators, who have the authority to "police" the ethics, language, and other matters.

If someone registers with a screen name, they are required to ask the webmaster to make the change to full actual name.

I was a member of a forum which did not require such; people used screen names or their name. It's since closed due to death of a partner.

I suggest that it's the option of the owner/originator to decide the rules. We can make suggestions, but the final is his/her decision. If one disagrees, one does not need to participate.

My 2¢, froggy

fatlazyless
06-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi all.....thanks to ITD for supporting me in that name deceit fiasco. I obviously have no clue who did it but it's my guess that it had nothing to do with speed limits. Speed limits is pretty much a more opinionated area, and people expect a certain level of contention there.

Anyway, fatlazyless has been my name since 1997, and yes it's a bit of a dopey dumb name and it encourages me to say stuff likely I'd not say if my real name were attached.

Probably, I should change it from fatlazyless to just fll so it will blend better.

best, fll

Airwaves
06-27-2008, 12:11 AM
I have to join the chorus of folks that believe FLL's ID was used by someone else in the Union Leader article because of this forum and if we used real names it would not be good.

I did post to that article and used Airwaves, although I misspelled Belknap...:emb:

I have to say that one of the best features of this forum is its anonymity. If you want to be known you certainly can be, but if for some reason it's not a good idea then you can keep your identity to yourself and speak your mind.

Thank you Don, I know that I have caused you many many hours of unnecessary reading and quite frankly I would have pulled the plug on me years ago!

So my real name is AHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh.....................:eek:

chipj29
06-27-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi all.....thanks to ITD for supporting me in that name deceit fiasco. I obviously have no clue who did it but it's my guess that it had nothing to do with speed limits. Speed limits is pretty much a more opinionated area, and people expect a certain level of contention there.

Anyway, fatlazyless has been my name since 1997, and yes it's a bit of a dopey dumb name and it encourages me to say stuff likely I'd not say if my real name were attached.
Probably, I should change it from fatlazyless to just fll so it will blend better.

best, fll

Not picking on you FLL, but I think that is part of the "problem" in internet communities. People say things that they would likely not say in face to face conversation. Some people can be downright rude. Some people can be very sarcastic. Some people are in fact genuine. But the fact remains that people are more brave behind a keyboard, myself included.
My first name is in my screen name here. I am not saying that to advocate that everyone sign their posts. I would however advocate that people post things that they would say face to face. I know that may be a pipe dream, but that is how I feel. As my father always told me, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all.
My snowmobile club www.bowpioneers.org (shameless plug :laugh: ) has a message board/forum. Users are required to use their full name. We are still in our first year of the message board, but it has been real tame. But then again, we don't have any speed limit stuff to argue about. ;)

Ropetow
06-27-2008, 07:45 AM
I used to dabble in horse racing...owned a few racehorses...and there were two fantastic forums, much like this one in content, but more of a list-serv format. Neither required members to reveal their true identity, even to the list owner. After a while, both became havens for the prognosticators of pessimism that plague our society. One closed down, the owner just throwing up her hands in an 'enough is enough' surrender to the nabobs of negativism. The other started to require members giving their full identification to the owner while still allowing screen names. It continues to limp along.

People thrive on negativity and conflict and the 'wow' factor. Anyone see yesterday's Portsmouth Herald? Plastered atop the front page was a giant headline about a faulty grease trap closing down a local eatery. Was this the most important news in that region yesterday? Nope. Did it get people's attention? Yup.

We are lucky that we have this forum, and that Don allows us to play in this anonymous virtual sandbox.

woodswalk
06-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Even worse, if the name of a real local person was used as a bogus identity on this forum, the reputation of that person in his or her community could be harmed, depending on the type of posts attributed to that name.

I have to agree.

Mick Jagger

;)

gravy boat
06-29-2008, 05:49 AM
It is indeed frightening that some wackos would take any opinions expressed online as worthy of stalking or terrorizing.

You just never know who will find their way to your door. I highly recommend improving your firearm prowess -- trust me, it gives you peace of mind.

GB

Argie's Wife
06-29-2008, 10:35 AM
What is to gain by someone knowing my name as long as I am following the rules of this forum?

How would this benefit me and my family to have my name on the internet and linked to information about me via what I have disclosed already on this board?

I don't see problems with trolls on this site and it's a very well moderated site. With all of the problems today with identity theft, stalking, etc., I don't see how this would ultimately be a good thing.

gtxrider
06-29-2008, 10:43 AM
It is better to keep your name private. Just listen to the Brad Paisley song "On Line"..Watch the video it features Jason Alexander aka George Costanza;)

Argie's Wife
06-29-2008, 10:58 AM
It is better to keep your name private. Just listen to the Brad Paisley song "On Line"..Watch the video it features Jason Alexander aka George Costanza;)

ROTFPIMP! :laugh:

Not being real familiar with country music I had to check that one out...

I gotta share this one with hubby.... we met via internet! (Nuff said!) ;)

nj2nh
06-29-2008, 10:13 PM
The only time I would use my real name is if I got a private message from someone who has figured out who I am! That has happened a couple of times with lake neighbors who recognized me from something I posted. Some of us have had very lively and fun dialogues outside the forum as a result.

As an attorney, I know that privacy issues are very important. In this day and age, hijacking an identity, even if only a name, can be problematic. I never use my full name on any forum unless I know every single person on the forum personally. (I am a member of one of those on Yahoo, but it is a private forum, by invitation only).

So, I would definitely recommend that you don't reveal your "true" identity.

A few years ago, I remember a thread about ownership of one of the islands (it was on the old system). It got heated and personal. I was very glad no one knew my name or where I lived!

nj2nh

dpg
06-30-2008, 10:40 AM
I have to agree.

Mick Jagger

;)

I love it!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: