PDA

View Full Version : Diner rescued from demolition at NHIS

Laconia Historical
06-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Great news! The former Barr's Diner , Jerry O'Mahony Diner #1001, has been rescued from demolition at the International Speedway (where it was being used as an office) and was re-located yesterday to East Providence Technical and Career Center. The American Diner Museum will work with the school to rehabilitated the diner next year as part of the Construction Trades Program.

The director of the museum, Daniel Zilka, is looking for any all information about the diner when it was located in Loudon. They are interested in locating and speaking with anyone who may have information about what happened to the stools, the bootks tables and maybe some equipment.

Daniel has spoken with Greg Bryar at Belknap Diner. Apparently his father opend the race track years ago. He mentioned that diner was owned and operated by Horace Humphrey and his wife. They lived next door and operated the diner as Humphrey's Diner. Is that correct and does anyone have any dates that the diner was in operation?

Greg Bryar told Daniel that they served beer, sandwiches and some necessities from the diner, but there were no stools or booths and tables. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

-Jennifer Carroll-Plante, Director, Laconia Historical

Here's a picture of it being moved to RI yesterday.
http://www.laconiahistorical.org/barrsloudonext1lo.jpg

idigtractors
06-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the great piece of history and hope someone can come back with the missing parts that you have requested. They could have left the A/C united with me before moving it though. :)

Winnigirl
06-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I think that is where we used to have to go to pick up our credentials. I had no idea it used to be a diner.