PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks

NHDOLFAN
06-10-2008, 05:38 AM
With the rising gas prices and the need to get in shape, I am looking for 2 kayaks. If you have any for sale or know anyone who is selling, please forward that info. In addition, since I have never used one nor have any clue about them, any info as to which ones I should buy or stay away from, would be great.

fatlazyless
06-10-2008, 05:53 AM
Wild Meadow Kayak & Sail, on the Center Harbor-Moultonboro line, has a walkway to the water, and lets you test drive. Finding the right kayak is sort of like buying shoes, best to try it before you buy it.

The shape and design makes a big difference in paddle-ability. Some yaks paddle like floating bathtubs, while others glide along for longer distances.

Prices go from 200 to 2000, new. Plenty of used kayaks out there, too, in the classifieds and yard sales.

Get a comfy kayak, and soon you'll be practicing eskimo rolls! :D

Lakegeezer
06-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Two hints about selection.
Make sure it can hold your weight. I'm heavy and found one that can support 300 lbs, but even so, end up close to the water and take spash inside the boat when hitting the wake wrong.
Estimate how far you want to go in the kayaks. The cheap ones are good for a few miles, but they are inefficient and will be tiring for long trips. The sleek ones are better for distance, but hold less weight, are more expensive and are more tippy.

codeman671
06-10-2008, 10:03 AM
The LL Bean outlet stores such as the ones in Manchester and Concord often run blowout sales of their floor models and seconds. We bought 2 single person kayaks, a tandem kayak and a canoe all for $1200.00 last year at one of their sales. All made by Old Town. Probably a $600 savings.

Slickcraft
06-10-2008, 12:01 PM
We are long time kayakers having shifted with age from whitewater to flat-water on the lake. There being no simple quick answer, I offer the following:

1. Always have every paddler wear a PFD. Simply having it in the boat does not do it. If one dumps and there is some wind, your boat may float away faster than you can swim to it.

2. If you aim is just having short distance wet fun with inexperienced paddlers, get one of the short (15' or less) wide tubs. Inexpensive and good initial stability but very slow and no secondary stability. We see a lot of these going around the island; it is rare to see one occupied by a paddler with good paddling skills however.

3. If your aim is going some distance and being able to deal with whatever conditions that may arise, then you need a longer (16' to 17') narrower boat along with some basic skills. Actually such a boat while narrower and with a rounded bottom, is more stable in rough water provided you have some skill. In this case, 1st take a lesson in a rental boat and get some advice. There are some places around, Google found:
http://www.wildmeadowcanoes.com/wmtest.swf

Have fun and be safe.

Island-Ho
06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
If you plan to paddle any distance get a quality paddle, meaning light and strong! You would be amazed at the difference a few ounces makes in your comfort and fatigue level when you paddle for more than a few minutes. As others have already said, decide how you want to use the boat, and try before you buy. Do some research on the web and you will find some good tips on selecting a boat. It's great exercise and you'll see many things you missed while flying around in a power boat.

SIKSUKR
06-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Where's the kayaking expert?Surely ES could contribute to this thread and her usual foes will be on her side in this thread.Come on ES,were not all bad and we need your help here.

fatlazyless
06-10-2008, 06:41 PM
How's that eskimo roll, where you wear a watertight bib to seal the opening, and do a hip & paddle move to spin the kayak, and upright an upside down kayak? How to do it?

What's the make or break, critical, move?

Can it be done if you only half-hearted try, or does one need to go at it like a Navy Seal? :coolsm:

ossipeeboater
06-11-2008, 08:12 AM
i'd go visit with an expert. Canoe King in Tamworth is the biggest dealer in NH and can show you boats ranging from 400-4000. they also sometimes have used kayaks but they go quick, I had them selkl one of mine when I decided to buy my 8yo one that was smaller and it sold in less than 4 hours.

gtxrider
06-11-2008, 10:29 AM
How's that eskimo roll, where you wear a watertight bib to seal the opening, and do a hip & paddle move to spin the kayak, and upright an upside down kayak? How to do it?

Can it be done if you only half-hearted try, or does one need to go at it like a Navy Seal? :coolsm:

I would rather have an Eskimo Pie and Lobster Roll!:liplick:

Sorry I had to say it!

Slickcraft
06-11-2008, 11:49 AM

The "bib" is a neoprene spray skirt fitted to the cockpit coaming and to the paddler, keeps the H2O out very well.

Actually it is physically very easy to roll a whitewater kayak taking very little arm/shoulder strength. It is a matter of technique, physical and mental, a hand roll (no paddle) is easy to master. The body motion is similar to a golf swing in reverse. A right side roll starts with the upper body rotated left and up, ends with the upper body rotated right with the head down and face almost in the water. A failed roll where one is almost up and flops down is always a case of trying to lift the head too soon. "Head down, boat up" and vice versa. Newton's 2nd law.

I have taught several to roll in less than an hour, women being better students as they can think about body movement as opposed to muscling the boat up (which does not work boys).

As to flat water kayaks, the short flat tubs with big cockpits are not boats that you can roll. You need a longer, narrower boat with solid foot pegs for leverage, a good spray skirt and a suitable paddle. Also the boat needs to be padded to fit, no slopping all around. Any touring kayak is harder to roll than a whitewater boat, so learn to roll on a whitewater boat first.

If you do develop the skills to brace with the paddle (prevent an upset) and also to roll, and you have a good boat, you can handle most any conditions.

First, however, you must master the "wet exit". The ungraceful tip over and then while upside down pop the spray skirt off and get out of the boat. Helps prevent drowning after a failed roll.

SIKSUKR
06-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Good info Slick

Excalibur
06-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I did this same search last season and found a Kayak I can sit on and use like a bicycle. I had a hard time getting in and out of a regular kayak. So with one you sit on top off its easier to enter from the dock or beach. I find it very enjoyable to use and great exercise. The drawbacks is it can be a little wet on the rough days so wearing a bathing suit is best. Another nice thing, that I didn't take advantage of is that they come in tandem models. So check them out over at Fay's.

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/index.html

fatlazyless
06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
The "bib" is a neoprene spray skirt fitted to the cockpit coaming and to the paddler, keeps the H2O out very well.

Actually it is physically very easy to roll a whitewater kayak taking very little arm/shoulder strength. It is a matter of technique, physical and mental, a hand roll (no paddle) is easy to master. The body motion is similar to a golf swing in reverse. A right side roll starts with the upper body rotated left and up, ends with the upper body rotated right with the head down and face almost in the water. A failed roll where one is almost up and flops down is always a case of trying to lift the head too soon. "Head down, boat up" and vice versa. Newton's 2nd law.

I have taught several to roll in less than an hour, women being better students as they can think about body movement as opposed to muscling the boat up (which does not work boys).

As to flat water kayaks, the short flat tubs with big cockpits are not boats that you can roll. You need a longer, narrower boat with solid foot pegs for leverage, a good spray skirt and a suitable paddle. Also the boat needs to be padded to fit, no slopping all around. Any touring kayak is harder to roll than a whitewater boat, so learn to roll on a whitewater boat first.

If you do develop the skills to brace with the paddle (prevent an upset) and also to roll, and you have a good boat, you can handle most any conditions.

First, however, you must master the "wet exit". The ungraceful tip over and then while upside down pop the spray skirt off and get out of the boat. Helps prevent drowning after a failed roll.

Good reply...thanks for the info!

Paid 250. last October for an old Aquaterra Chinook, paddle and nylon spray skirt. It must be maybe 16' long, Have been trying to do eskimo rolls with no success yet.

It is constructed of polypropellene plastic, and had almost zero positive floatation, so I found these large, pump-up, vinyl beach balls at Wal-Mart for like 2.50 each and they make a huge difference. Having good positive floatation could be very helpfull.

This kayak fits like a glove so eskimo rolls are definately doable! :D

Slickcraft
06-11-2008, 07:33 PM

Paid 250. last October for an old Aquaterra Chinook, paddle and nylon spray skirt. It must be maybe 16' long, Have been trying to do eskimo rolls with no success yet.

It is constructed of polypropellene plastic, and had almost zero positive floatation, so I found these large, pump-up, vinyl beach balls at Wal-Mart for like 2.50 each and they make a huge difference. Having good positive floatation could be very helpfull.

This kayak fits like a glove so eskimo rolls are definately doable! :D

They make air bags to fit in front and rear of kayaks, you can find gear at http://www.coloradokayak.com/
Look under flotation.

You do need good solid foot braces.

A way to practice the body motion:
In quiet shallow water have a stationary object at water level and at the side of your boat such as the bow of another kayak at 90 degrees to your boat, or the side of a pool or a low dock or someone standing in the water with their hands at water level. Set your paddle aside. Rotate to the right (for a right hand roll), put both hands out palm down and lay your fingers on the object. Slowly let the boat roll over to almost upside down. Now your arms will be reaching up toward the surface and your face will be under water facing up. (Nose clips help). Then in one quick motion rotate to the right with shoulder and hips turning your head to face down as your hips roll the boat up. Head must be down and to the right as the boat comes up.

After a while you will be able to snap the boat back up using only very little downward pressure on your helpers hands. That is the point at which the helper (when you are over) removes the helping hand and puts the paddle in your hands so you can do your first real roll.

Have fun.