PDA

View Full Version : Pollen

Just Wonderin
06-02-2008, 08:52 PM
I know this is an odd question, but I'm trying to decide when to put in the solid carbon block filter at the faucet in our camp...we draw our water from the lake.

Every year, I see this huge wave of yellow green pollen on the lake. I wait for it to go before putting the filter in place. Putting it in too soon just clogs the filter up immediately. I didn't see that wave of pollen this year, but have to believe that it has passed. Am I right?

Quilt Lady
06-02-2008, 09:46 PM
The pine pollen has not fallen yet. That is the sticky yellow-green mess you have seen on the water. It shouldn't be too much longer. We have a large white pine in front of us that has big pollen packets ready to pop.

Pepper
06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Can anybody identify the gigantic white puffy things that are blowing around everywere? They look like milkweed on steroids. Anybody know what the heck it is? I've never seen it as bad as it is this year! :eek:

SIKSUKR
06-03-2008, 07:27 AM
I know this is an odd question, but I'm trying to decide when to put in the solid carbon block filter at the faucet in our camp...we draw our water from the lake.

Every year, I see this huge wave of yellow green pollen on the lake. I wait for it to go before putting the filter in place. Putting it in too soon just clogs the filter up immediately. I didn't see that wave of pollen this year, but have to believe that it has passed. Am I right?

Pine pollen usually starts releasing around the second week in June.It lasts on the water till close to the last week in June.

Just Wonderin
06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for refreshing my memory.

abay
06-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Pepper - the white floaters that I think you are referring to come from poplar trees. Usually the large variety that some call cottonwoods. An efficient way for those trees to spread the seeds around.

Pepper
06-04-2008, 08:09 AM
... An efficient way for those trees to spread the seeds around.

I'll say it's efficient! That stuff is everywhere! :eek:

Thanks for the info, abay! At least now I know what it is!

KBoater
06-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm glad you IDed the white puffy stuff. That is what I'm allergic to. I tried to rake some. My new house has a forest with various types of trees. I do have poplar.
Thanks

gtxrider
06-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Looking at some of the webcams it seems the pollen is coming down and leaving "Ring around the tub"

Smitty1
06-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Yes, the Yellow pollen is here!!!!!

AC2717
06-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Down here in Boston and RI the Pine Pollen is Flowing like the Mighty Pemi River:D. IT is nuts, I drove away after being parked at work and it blew off the front of the car like powdered snow

Kamper
06-10-2008, 07:15 PM
... I wait for it to go before putting the filter in place. Putting it in too soon just clogs the filter up immediately. ...

Have you considerred a "pre-filter?" Install another filter housing before your carbon filter and use the cheaper paper/cloth filters for a couple weeks.

Good luck!

DRH
06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Yes, the Yellow pollen is here!!!!!Boy, that's for sure! Huge clouds of pollen were blowing out of the white pines today, and the surface of the lake is covered with it. While viewing the mountain peaks in the distance today, the air looked like it was full of yellow smoke.

upthesaukee
06-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Out playing golf yesterday in Farmington, which has a lot of pine trees on the property and adjacent to it, and with the light breeze, it looked at times like a smoke or haze blowing across the course. The car, normally green, was a definate yellow, which mostly blew off on the way home.:rolleye1:

Just Wonderin
06-12-2008, 10:14 PM
We've got a whole house filter that is a 20 micron filter...that does the trick for the majority of the junk. Then a 5 micron filter at the faucet. The 5 micron filter can be turned on or off as needed. So I didn't want to use it until I knew the heavy pollen time had passed. I just hate using up that 5 micron filter any faster than necessary...it must be the "old yankee" in me! :laugh:

COWISLAND NH
06-17-2008, 12:23 PM
:cool:I am praying this stuff is gone by next weekend...not fun to wade throught this stuff on out lil beach!

Orion
06-17-2008, 07:48 PM
....when that stuff collects in large amounts and starts to decay, it really has a bad stench, similar to a dead animal.

Seems to be mostly over now or at least far below last weeks crop. The water is also clearing up nicely.

AC2717
06-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Anyone know if this weeks rains will help get it out of the little creeks and streams. Down near my place it is terrible and I feel bad, I have renters in there tomorrow.
I am down near the Margate area, anyone else in that area that can give a report?
Thanks