PDA

View Full Version : Bear sighting

gravy boat
06-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi all,

Has anybody recently sighted bear near Gilford Village?

One passed through my yard yesterday at about 9:30 am. It apparently crossed over 11A and up my property along the stonewall, climbing over wall and up the mountain. This is near the junction of 11A and 11B. It was a big one, the largest I've seen up here.

It was indeed a treat!
GB

SteveA
06-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I didn't see him on the "other" side of Gilford Village. (Timber Lane) But we did spot a hugh male last fall.. sadly we couldn't find the camera fast enough.

I read up on these guys.. they have something like a 30 mile range that they wander.

Several years ago we had a "bear up a tree" after it cleaned out the neighbors bird feeders.

You have already seen this pic. ( I know becuase you commented on it! ):)

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9814

Smitty1
06-02-2008, 03:30 PM
We had a bear at our house early Friday morning in Moultonborough. He was after the bird feeder.

It was cool to see him/her up close....

Smitty

Lakepilot
06-02-2008, 04:31 PM
We had a female and two cubs in South Wolfeboro, near the golf course, last week. A few days later a female and two cubs were spotted on Springfield Point (same family??).

nj2nh
06-02-2008, 05:46 PM
There have been numerous bear sightings down here in suburban NJ! It was all over the news a few weeks ago when there was a bear in the local county park in Paramus. Paramus has something like four shopping malls (all enclosed!) and two major highways with tons and tons of stores. It was definitely a very strange sight.

People are seeing bears everywhere where one wouldn't expect this spring.

nj2nh

riverat
06-02-2008, 07:34 PM
We have had a bear roaming here in Merrymeeting River Park for the last two weeks, stealing bird feeders and even took one guys Bass out of his cooler. And yesterday one of the tennants saw a deer walking up her road.
We love it!

Resident 2B
06-02-2008, 08:24 PM
We have had a bear roaming here in Merrymeeting River Park for the last two weeks, stealing bird feeders and even took one guys Bass out of his cooler. And yesterday one of the tennants saw a deer walking up her road.
We love it!

Riverat,

Was the Bass a fish or a Bass Ale?:)

I would let the bear have the fish, but no one takes a Bass Ale out of the cooler without asking!:liplick:

R2B

Pepper
06-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Gravy - if they have a range of 30 miles, it could be the huge one your Uncle Ken photographed up on the mountain several years ago. He was raiding the birdfeeder, and standing on his hind legs was well over 8 feet tall. Beautiful bear!

Riverat - the wildlife in your area is amazing. It's incredible the variety I see just driving on Rte 11 every day. You live in a seriously cool place for seeing nature. I'm jealous! ;)

Resident2B -would you give up the Bass Ale if the bear asked nicely? :laugh:

phoenix
06-03-2008, 08:12 AM
while going out for the paper this morning a huge black bear( like the size of the bears at Clark's) was sitting in the road ( near Fox Hollow in Moultonboro) when i approach he got up and lumbered to the side of the road and was no more than 10 feet into the woods and looking at me as i drove past. Yesterday we saw a smaller bear in the same spot

Dave R
06-03-2008, 08:55 AM
These bears moved into my neighbor's tree for a couple of days last week. There are two cubs up there, but only one was visible for this picture. They left Saturday morning.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8d822b3127ccec41218bf9db100000026108CbM27Nyzcg9 vPho

SteveA
06-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Very nice picture. I hope that was taken with a long lens. I"m told the only time they get aggressive is when cubs are around.

With two cubs, I'd keep my distance! :eek:

Heaven
06-03-2008, 11:29 AM
And you never know if there is one or two , , , , unless you see two, , ,

Resident 2B
06-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Resident2B -would you give up the Bass Ale if the bear asked nicely? :laugh:

Pepper,

As long as the bear was of legal age with a photo ID and was not about to operate a motor vehicle or boat, I would gladly gime him or her a Bass Ale if the bear asked nicely.:)

I would not want to break the laws or contribute to somebear breaking the laws!

R2B

Dave R
06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Very nice picture. I hope that was taken with a long lens. I"m told the only time they get aggressive is when cubs are around.

With two cubs, I'd keep my distance! :eek:

She was utterly mellow. I think if we had come between her and the tree, she may have been less mellow:eek:. Either way she was 30 feet up and showed no signs of wanting to come down.

As happy as I was to see this sight, I am glad she left. I don't think anything good would've come from her hanging around a long time with two youngsters in tow. There's 5500+ acres of wilderness behind my house, I'm sure there's room out there for a bunch of bears.

rander7823
06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
My new TomTom keeps saying bear right.......my kids keep looking but haven't seen any yet.:)

Resident 2B
06-03-2008, 08:02 PM
My new TomTom keeps saying bear right.......my kids keep looking but haven't seen any yet.:)

My Tom-Tom says bear left. I have no idea how my Tom-Tom knew the bear was there in the first place, but I never see a bear when it says bear left, so I conclude it knows what it is talking about.

:)R2B

gravy boat
06-04-2008, 07:55 PM
I can bearly contain my laughter from the last two comments. :emb:

dpg
06-05-2008, 05:50 AM
If the bear had any class he wouldn't accept the Bass Ale. Now, if you had a Corona!!! :eek:

riverat
06-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Yes definetely Corona, So I guess the lesson here if you are going to keep your bass in a cooler at night, and you have a bear in your neighborhood, before you turn in for the night you should bend over and kiss your Bass goodbye.

rander7823
06-05-2008, 08:57 AM
If the bear had any class he wouldn't accept the Bass Ale. Now, if you had a Corona!!! :eek:

I thought most bear prefer salmon?????

Lakesrider
06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
There are a few up in Suissevale in Moultonborough. Itook this shot late in the evening the other day...Sorry all I had was my cheap camera that I keep in my car. That and it was getting dark. I got this picture because I saw them cross behind my house so I ran and got into my car and headed to a side road that I knew they were going to cross. Shut my car off and waited a few minutes. There they were...dumpster diving.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/midgetmgb/bears1.jpg

Pepper
06-05-2008, 10:52 PM
OMG the cubs are adorable!

Thanks for sharing!