PDA

View Full Version : Polite Bathroom Sign

Chillin & Grillin
05-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I've been trying to think of a polite way to let my guests know that we have a delicate septic system and nothing should go into the potty but t.p. Can anyone help with any clever/funny sayings and where I might get such signs.

fatlazyless
05-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Ye olde Winni septic ode

If it's yellow,
Let it mellow.

If it's brown,
Flush it down!:)

Pine Island Guy
05-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I've been trying to think of a polite way to let my guests know that we have a delicate septic system and nothing should go into the potty but t.p. Can anyone help with any clever/funny sayings and where I might get such signs.

when we used to rent our place out, I had a "Top Ten List of things to remember" and Number 1 was: Our island septic system is very fragile, nothing should go into the toilet expect what comes out of your body and a small amount of toilet tissue. Please use the trash for anything else!!

I really wanted to take one of the signs from an airline restroom which says pretty much the same thing but includes graphics etc... but i'm sure that would be some sort of federal offense!

cheers PIG

p.s. you can always add... "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down"

sa meredith
05-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Pine Island Guy...
"Meet the Faulkners"

Gatto Nero
05-12-2008, 11:08 AM
"Please be kind to this septic system, it's older than you are."

michael c
05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
" Nothing Should Go Into This Toilet Unless It Has Been Eaten First " :)

CaptDan
05-12-2008, 01:34 PM
.......I really wanted to take one of the signs from an airline restroom which says pretty much the same thing but includes graphics etc... but i'm sure that would be some sort of federal offense!

HAHA.. you are prob right! Camera Phone the picture next time you fly... Oh wait... "all cell phones and wireless devices must remain off during flight."
another federal offense.

mcdude
05-12-2008, 01:36 PM
not exactly on the same topic....

"We aim to please,
You aim too, please"

John A. Birdsall
05-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Several years ago our septic tank was costing a fortune to maintain. It cost $75.00 every time it had to be pumped which was three times a season. Last time it was $200.00. I seen an ad in the JC Whitney catalog for Krane Products Septic Helper. ( just this winter purchased a 6 year supply which cost 149.00 and I will get 12 years out of it)

I put this in the toilet and flushed it. Every Month while in operation I have put 1/4 pack in and we have not had to have it pumped now for over 6 years and it works great.

Krane Products, P.O. Box 310721, Boca Raton, FL 33431-0721

Septic Helper 2000 6 year supply $149.00 no shipping costs.

John A. Birdsall
05-12-2008, 01:46 PM
As for a saying, We have a clock above the toilet (I suppose that is to time my sister) that says "Here in the land of Sun and Fun, we only flush for No.1)

Someone else added, step closer, its shorter than you think!

Sunrise Point
05-12-2008, 02:21 PM
I have never posted a sign, but my daughters know not to flush "unmentionables" down the toilet. And they do warn their friends. When my son brings a group up, I sometimes mention it to one of the girls and ask that she spread the word.

Our other camp had: "If it's brown,
Flush it down.
It it's pee,
Let it be.

If any creative types out there have a cute saying about the "unmentionables", I would love to hear it too.

TomC
05-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Several years ago our septic tank was costing a fortune to maintain. It cost $75.00 every time it had to be pumped which was three times a season. Last time it was $200.00. I seen an ad in the JC Whitney catalog for Krane Products Septic Helper. ( just this winter purchased a 6 year supply which cost 149.00 and I will get 12 years out of it)

I put this in the toilet and flushed it. Every Month while in operation I have put 1/4 pack in and we have not had to have it pumped now for over 6 years and it works great.

I am interested in keeping old septic systems going, since I have 3 of them, so I googled Krane Products... yikes - what I read scared me off....

So the stuff may work as described, but it seems like you get "renewed" in their subscription plan w/o approval then they hound you for payment.. One blog said they chased some guy all the way to France for payment on a supply he says he didn't order.. So go in with your eyes open, I guess.

jetskier
05-12-2008, 02:39 PM
The first attachment should do the job...I don't think that they left anything out.

The second attachment is a picture of the Las Vegas Hilton bathroom...I was there for CTIA and this one is a bit unsettling. :D

Jetskier:cool:

CanisLupusArctos
05-12-2008, 08:25 PM
You could always exaggerate (a humorous way to get a point across) and post a photo of one of those signs in the airport that illustrates the various items you can't take on board. Then you could add something like, "passengers on this craft must pass through your internal security line..." or something like that.

Rattlesnake Guy
05-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I am interested in keeping old septic systems going, since I have 3 of them, so I googled Krane Products... yikes - what I read scared me off....

So the stuff may work as described, but it seems like you get "renewed" in their subscription plan w/o approval then they hound you for payment.. One blog said they chased some guy all the way to France for payment on a supply he says he didn't order.. So go in with your eyes open, I guess.

I used the product on a previous system and it did a great job to keep the yard much drier. They are very aggressive with the sales calls but I never had a problem with shipping of things I did not order. You may be able to cut the pump outs but I am not sure you "never" have to remove some solids.

I have also seen advice to test your TP by putting a few squares in a pint jar 3/4 full of water. Shake 5 times. If it falls apart it is going to be much easier for your system to digest. If it looks like a bounty paper towel than it might last a long time before breaking down and becoming a microbe lunch. We tried the experiment and their is a big difference in behavior. There are materials called wet strength resins that can be added to paper to hold them together when wet. A good property during the first 10 seconds of your TP use but not desirable after that.

dpg
05-13-2008, 06:29 AM

I have inquired about products like this and actually used to buy from Krane products myself. After speaking (with many) people in the biz (septic systems) over the years the general concensus is that this is mostly a waste of time and money. There is naturally millions of bacteria in all septic systems. The last person I asked who pumped my system out at home last year told me the rule of thumb should be if you wouldn't eat it yourself there's no need to flush it down the system. This particular person refered to those products as "snake oil." I have personally known this person as a "townie" for over 25 years, he isn't just looking for my business. Well, that's my story and I can't explain the fewer pump outs your now doing. Hey, if it seems to work keep it up I guess. One can argue 149.00 is cheap insurance for 6 years however the amount of bacteria your introducing to your system with a treatment is equivelant to pouring a glass of water into a lake. Again stealing a quote from someone who did a septic design for me.

WakeUp
05-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I think the creative postings are humorous. However, you just might consider hitting this one head-on. (There's no humor in a failed septic system!!) I'd make the situation clear - nodody wants to be at fault for a septic meltdown. Just the thought of it should keep people in line.
Just a thought. This can be a serious situation you want to assure everyone understands. I know...I know..."what a party-pooper!!" (excuse the pun!!)