PDA

View Full Version : Black Flies

Mr. V
05-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Do those miniature flying devils, those annoying swarms of tiny black flies, frequent areas away from the lakefront?

I recall being on the water during the height of black fly season, and it was hellish.

I would hope it is a localized phenomenon.

gravy boat
05-07-2008, 11:26 AM
There are four harbingers of Spring/Summer in the Lakes Region this time of year:

1. The Mount takes its shakedown cruise
2. The hummingbirds come back
3. The Weir's sign is turned on
4. I get my first of many black fly bites

Based on my experience last night while raking, the black flies are back in full force on Rt. 11A.

But hey -- they're a small price to pay for summer. ;-)

DickR
05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
We don't seem to get black flies down on Long Island, where I am anyway. I guess they're too lazy to fly down the length of the neck road, when there are plenty of folks closer by to annoy.

Well, to say none isn't quite right. We did get some last year, I think, but I nailed both of 'em early on and the message got around, I think.

Orion
05-07-2008, 07:37 PM
We don't seem to get black flies down on Long Island, where I am anyway. I guess they're too lazy to fly down the length of the neck road, when there are plenty of folks closer by to annoy.

Not much of a problem on north side of Cow either.

COWISLAND NH
05-08-2008, 10:28 AM
We have way too many bats to have any black flies left here on north side of Cow Island!!!!

Orion
05-09-2008, 06:42 AM
We have way too many bats to have any black flies left here on north side of Cow Island!!!!

yep, love the bats!

........but not the dingbats!:laugh:

moose tracks
06-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Black flies were fierce over Memorial Weekend. Heading to camp this weekend. What is the latest on the black flies? :look:

phoenix
06-03-2008, 08:15 AM
the mosquitos are the worse that i have seen up here. Even on days with low humidity and winds they are still out

secondcurve
06-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I noticed the same thing this weekend. The mosquitoes were everywhere while the black flies were clearly on the wane.

Rattlesnake Guy
06-04-2008, 11:50 PM
We can all do our part by eliminating any conditions that cause standing water. Junk in the yard, old tire, beach toys. It does not take much.

Orion
06-05-2008, 08:12 AM
I've got 72 square miles of standing water outside my window.......open the dam!:laugh:

tis
06-05-2008, 12:15 PM
I wonder if we have more bugs this year because the winter was not at cold as it usually is. I also can't believe how many lilacs there were this year! I wondered if that is for the same reason. Anyone know?

TimmyG
06-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Being new to NH this is a phenomena I have ever seen before. The Black Fly plague is like a scourge from the open gates of hell! . I haven't found a bug spray yet that is effective.

What's up with these mosquito's?! They are relentless..Good Grief!

TG

RI Swamp Yankee
06-08-2008, 09:17 PM
... The Black Fly plague is like a scourge from the open gates of hell! ....
Black flies are natures way of saying NH isn't quite perfect. :rolleye1:

.... well, other than that it comes close. ;)