PDA

View Full Version : Last Snowmobile on the lake

Lakegeezer
04-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Two sets of snowmobiles went by on the lake today. When will the last ride take place? Will we be reading about someone taking a splash? My guess is there is another week of riding the lake, but it will be tricky.

chipj29
04-09-2008, 06:34 AM
I know one thing...you wouldn't see me out there.

fatlazyless
04-09-2008, 07:14 AM
When the ice surface gets soft the snowmos send out an aerial trail of slush. Watching about ten snowmos yesterday from Bear to Governor's, the surface is just a little soft, maybe like spring skiing. Some of the sledders go out of their way to skim the 50-yards of open water created by a neighbor's ice-eater. Here's the skimming technique as observed; open wide the throttle and move back so all your weight is over the stern of the sled...makes tread marks on the water.

Riding a two-stroke sled at higher speeds must sound like that buzzy engine noise is buzzn' thru one's brains....can be very noisy. bbbbzzzzzzzzzzz!:D

Weirs guy
04-09-2008, 11:21 AM
We were out fishing (OK, my son was killing lures) and watch 2 sleds go by out by Spindle Pt. Good luck!

michael c
04-10-2008, 01:05 AM
These are the same people who will complain that there were no warnings posted , that they should have free help and not pay any fine when their sleds sink ..The world is full of idiots and to be on the lake ,ANYWHERE now, is just looking for trouble .Why don't all the people who want to ride their sleds on the lake right now, go out and buy a brand new eddie Bauer explorer and take it out to check to see if the ice is safe ...Helps to reduce the idiots from the Gene pool ,therefore making the world a safer and more sane place to be

riverat
04-13-2008, 05:52 PM
when a sled is skimming do they have to conform to the 45mph speed limit on the water?:)

Rattlesnake Guy
04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Skimming at 25 at night could be dangerous....

Lakegeezer
04-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Any more fools out there? I haven't seen a sled for a few days now. Perhaps the season is over. April 9'th is the last posted sighting. Is that a record?

The Eagle
04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Hi Lg,
Last Saturday April 12th, there were at least 2 snomobilers in the cove near Balmoral, and Suissevale. They must have been totally out of their minds! They were going as fast as possible, and they were out there most of the day. If they are out there again this weekend, I bet they will be "Out there" this summer too! Only, not like they would like to be! I enjoy having fun, but at some point you have to look around you, take notice of the conditions, and and just say, "Well, it's been a fun winter, time to put the sleds away until next "Ice in!" I just hope no one goes through, and no one has to risk their lives going in after them. It just isn't worth it!
"The Eagle"
Oh, I missed "Ice out!" April 14th has come and gone, and the ice is still there. As we Red Sox fans, USED to say, "just wait until next year!"

Puckster
04-15-2008, 08:48 PM
"don't hate, appreciate!"

VitaBene
04-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi Lg,
Last Saturday April 12th, there were at least 2 snomobilers in the cove near Balmoral, and Suissevale. They must have been totally out of their minds! They were going as fast as possible, and they were out there most of the day. If they are out there again this weekend, I bet they will be "Out there" this summer too! Only, not like they would like to be! I enjoy having fun, but at some point you have to look around you, take notice of the conditions, and and just say, "Well, it's been a fun winter, time to put the sleds away until next "Ice in!" I just hope no one goes through, and no one has to risk their lives going in after them. It just isn't worth it!
"The Eagle"
Oh, I missed "Ice out!" April 14th has come and gone, and the ice is still there. As we Red Sox fans, USED to say, "just wait until next year!"

I am in Suissevale and could hear those jack@@ses from my house!!

fatlazyless
04-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Yesterday morning, saw an airboat out by Mark and Bear Island. It looked just like a small military, Navy SEAL, type of a boat what with its' rubber raft, large fan, and loud noisy engine but it did a good job of cruis'n the grey ice. There's very little open water, just close to shore, still mostly all grey ice. Still some snow & ice left on shaded rooftops but that will probably disappear today.

One can actually see the lake ice evaporate up into the sunshine from a distance of a few hundred yards. It looks a little like a mirage but sure enough that's whats happening, or am I just seeing things?

Could a person make it out to Mark Island on cross country skis? Maybe yes or maybe no? Not going to find out! Do not wanna be a brief news item.:D

Weirs guy
04-21-2008, 11:08 AM
No more snowmo's sighted, yesterday there were 2 jet skis breaking up ice in the channel and bay.