PDA

View Full Version : Get Roof Shoveled?

offmycloud
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
With the new storm scheduled and then rain, is this a must prior to Tuesday? My house up there already has a ton of snow on the roof. Am I crazy to let it sit like that? Should I get it shoveled ASAP? Your thoughts would be helpful! Thanks!

chaseisland
03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Get it cleared!!!! You could spend all summer watching someone rebuild your cottage or be sitting back and enjoying it. Better safe than sorry.

offmycloud
03-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I am taking your advice and doing it. I have a flat section (!!!) that really needs it.
Thanks

Ropetow
03-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I just got in from clearing part of my roof again. We are in Rochester NH and have a 100-year-old farmhouse with an addition about 75-years-old that is pitched, but barely. Cleared it on Friday but the last storm added more. I say get out there and do it, ASAP.

offmycloud
03-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I actually forgot about my flat section until I wrote these posts! I am having someone clear it tomorrow before the storm. If the rain comes that area would collapse I am sure.

moose tracks
03-03-2008, 08:04 PM
We went up to check on our camp last weekend. The snow we had Saturday morning brought the total accumulation in the region up to over 9 feet for this season. Concord has experienced its sixth all-time snowiest winters. The state now is just shy of breaking the record of 122 inches, set during the winter of 1873 to 1874. I had over 3 feet of snow on my roof. When I heard, we might get rain Tuesday I spent 5 hours Saturday afternoon and shoveled the entire roof. My neighbor has a flat roofed portion of her house and she heard the house making creaking noises. She had some friends come over and shovel her roof and the noises stopped. Wet snow can weigh as much as 50 lbs per cubic foot. Better, be safe then sorry.

Flylady
03-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Being in CA. I never thought of the danger of build-up of ice and snow on the camp over the winter. All this dicussion alerted me and I was able to get a local crew out to my place tomorrow to clear the roof. One worry I didn't need in anticipation of my summer stay! Thank you all for your input on this. Clearly it was educational!

fatlazyless
03-04-2008, 05:16 AM
Another thing to watch is keeping the intake-exhaust vent clear of the snow. Those direct vent propane heaters that vent thru the walls will shut off when covered by snow. Apparently, the Rinnai's need an unobstructed air flow, as mine shut down while buried under just two inches of the last snowstorm.

offmycloud
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Sometimes those direct vent heaters don't shut off and it is extremely dangerous, CO2 buildup. Watch out for those things!

Glad this thread helped Flylady - this forum is great.

VitaBene
03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Great point on the vents!!

Please do yourselves and loved ones a favor and pick up a Carbon Monoxide Detector if you don't have one already- preferably one with Voice not just alarm (there have been studies that people particularly kids, incorporate the alarms into their dreams but react to voice). Even though my house is only 5 years old I am replacing all of the smokes and putting a hardwired smoke/CO2 voice alarm in the kids room down stairs. The rodent trap on our gas dryer vent was clogged last week and the CO2 detector went off as it should- I should have noticed that the dryer was super slow!

SteveA
03-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Some friends of mine appear to have a serious problem with snow on their roof. They are good neighbors but in general they are a bunch of birdbrains, I think I should just take care of the problem for them.

1760 :rolleye2:

fatlazyless
03-08-2008, 08:43 AM
What a terrific photo....maybe one of the newspapers would be interested in it.