PDA

View Full Version : Difference btwn trout & salmon?

Major problem
02-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Can anyone point me to an online resource for a definative description of landlocked salmon and winter trout?

My buddy caught a fish during the derby and we asked for a second opinion from many people who said it was definately a trout. The weigh-in people said it wasn't a rainbow. The fish had some color but from what we've been told there are no brown trout in Winni. The pic I have shows a forked tail but when laid flat it was square.

I've been fishing Winni for many years and every winter we've cut the line on many a "salmon". There's always a debate about species ID.

The fishing laws extract and derby brochure don't seem to capture the subtle differences.

From what I've seen, there are many thousands of seasoned ice fisherman/gals that also get confused. The penalties for taking a salmon through the ice are very harsh. Everyone is supposed to know the difference just from seeing the head of the fish in a two foot hole on a cloudy day.

secondcurve
02-12-2008, 10:57 AM
My first instinct is to say it is a Salmon, but I could be wrong. My advice is to post the same photo on Fishlakewinni.com Those folks will know. Good luck.

Resident 2B
02-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Major Problem,

I am almost positive that it is a landlocked, Atlantic Salmon. Sometimes, you have to see the fish.

Check out this link: http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=104

R2B

Smitty1
02-12-2008, 12:33 PM
It looks like a Salmon to me.

At the seminar on Friday night John Viar of Fish and Game said the rainbow trout have spots on their Caudal fins.

Here is a link to Fish and Game:
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/salmon_v_browntrout.htm

Smitty1

trfour
02-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I think your right, R2B. I used to catch the salt water version while fishing the North River on Cape Breton Island, in my younger days.

jrc
02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Throw it back quick, it's a salmon.

FLAG!
02-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Definitely a salmon.

Here are a couple things to remember:

Salmon Forked tail (though subtle, the fish pictured above defintiely has a forked tail elbeit more af a "V" shape). All trout other than lake trout have a STRAIGHT tail.

Also, salmon have silver sides with a generally olive colored back. The markings are not symetrical, dots or circles. They look more like x's, y's, and slashes.

Their jaw extends passed their eyeball. trout's jaw terminates at about the middle of the eyeball.

Sometimes the salmon may look like brown trout or lake trout when they are molting. they are much darker and not nearly as pretty.

Good luclk. I hope NHF&G doesn't email you a ticket!

Grant
02-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Definitely a landlocked salmon.

JTA
02-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Yup, a salmon. Watch out! Guys like you are busted and exposed on "Dateline".

nightrider
02-12-2008, 07:17 PM
That's a salmon...turn yourself in immediately.

SteveA
02-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Simple rule... see silver belly... Salmon.. cut the line don't even take it out of the hole.

Major problem
02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. It really was an aquaintance of mine that caught the fish. My catch for the weekend was a small perch.

Like I said, the fish in the above picture has the top of it's tail propped up on a chunk of snow. When laid flat it looked very straight. The pic has also been adjusted for color balance, brightness and contrast. When viewed on the ice much of the color looked like just a shadow. Poor ambient lighting and a lot of wishful thinking had everyone convinced that there was some color in the silver sides.

You're all obviously correct and the jaw does extend well past the eye.

What bothers me is that many nearby fisherman ran over to check out the flag to see what was caught and ALL of them said it was definately a trout.

In my group of friends, most of us have seen more than a few salmon caught in season and we've all cut our share of lines off at the hook in the winter. We all understand and appreciate the reasons for protecting the salmon in the winter. This one fish fooled a bunch of people.

Treerider
02-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Salmon!!!!

Weirs guy
02-13-2008, 01:20 PM
What bothers me is that many nearby fisherman ran over to check out the flag to see what was caught and ALL of them said it was definately a trout.

Well, we can just blame them. Don't feel bad MP, I'd have brought him up too. Then again, I'd have never caught him in the first place.....

farechofisherman
02-14-2008, 12:08 PM
the fish is most definitely a winni landlocked salmon, but i would agree that at times it is very difficult to tell. i have seen brown trout come out of new york city reserviors that look more like a landlocked salmon than a brown trout, i guess having to do with their enviroment-crystal clear waters make the brown trout look just like a salmon, and nothing like the browns you catch in the western part of the country. the jaw line is the best way to identify them, and then it is still tricky. there are no brown trout in winni, that i know of, and i have fished winni for nearly 50 years. technically speaking there are really no trout in winni, the lake trout actually being a cousin of the artic char, and the rainbow trout actually a strain of a pacific salmon. Brook trout (although not in winni eithert to any degree) are also not really a trout but, like the lake trout, is actually a descendant of the artic char, all of which has been discovered in the past dozen years or so through dna testing.

swnoel
02-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Some time back Brown Trout were introduced into Winni,
problem was people were keeping salmon believing they were Browns.

Now there are no Browns in the lake:)

Salmo
02-18-2008, 08:22 PM
The fish you have on the ice is definitely a salmon.....The Maine Fish and Game website has a nice fish ID section with pictures of brownies and salmon. Brown trout usually are more dusky than silvery often with a yellowish belly. The black spots will often have some red halos around them and be mixed with some red spots. The salmon are definitely silver in color with black spots......Hope this helps.

Major problem
02-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Some time back Brown Trout were introduced into Winni,
problem was people were keeping salmon believing they were Browns.

Now there are no Browns in the lake:)
I'm constantly talking to "expert fisherman" that claim to have just caught brown trout in Winni. :confused: I believe many still live in Winni but not in the numbers people are claiming.

The waters of Winni are clear and cold. I've been told that many fish typically found in warmer water lose much of their coloration in this environment. Everyone posting here has affirmed that my friend made a mistake in this case but in my experience MOST of the fisherman I've talked to have problems with fish ID. Its my understanding that many fish species evolve coloration according to their environment and many fisherman are making this kind of mistake. The whole point of my questioning is wether or not its fair to have such exorbitant penalties for catching the "wrong fish".

Now about my "perch", could it have been a tiger muskie? :D

secondcurve
02-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Major Problem:

If one wants to engage in fishing, I believe that it is incumbent upon the fishermen to learn what he/she is fishing for. I don't think there are many, if any, Brown Trout in Winnipesaukee so that makes it easier. Education is powerful! Good Luck.