PDA

View Full Version : Price of Gasoline

jimbob1603
05-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Cheers,

Gasoline costing what it does; and boaters being as frugal as they are:

Could we convince our (already overworked :eek: ) webmaster to set up a spreadsheet listing each marina and their current fuel prices. Nothing too fancy; just three columns: Marina Name, $/gallon, Date. Something quick, easy, specific to Lake Winnipesaukee, and ad free.

I'm not sure how we could keep it updated. Perhaps have people email their cost experiences to a volunteer who will be responsible for 'seperating the wheat from the chaffe' & updating the spreadsheet. If webmaster sets it up, I'll volunteer if no one else wants the job.

Some organization does a similar thing for home-heating-oil in New England.(I'll add the link as soon as I can think of it)( got it: ww.newenglandoil.com) It works well, is kept up to date during the heating season, and shows that not all oil retailers are created equal; a fine service to the consumer.

If I'm off base here, let me hear it ... I can take it. jhr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tricia1218
05-19-2004, 03:39 PM
I am not sure if this website lists marina gas prices or not, but it may be helpful.
http://www.newhampshiregasprices.com/

hoytglp
05-19-2004, 10:11 PM
can you get the gas rebate from any gas station including the street ones if so what do they need to put on the slip for your boat

webmaster
05-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Here are the forms and information:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2391#post2391

jimbob1603
06-01-2004, 08:54 AM
Well, at the time, I thought it was a good idea! :( Maybe marinas and gas retailers are sponsering this website???

upthesaukee
06-01-2004, 09:24 PM
JimBob, not a bad idea, but not one that would be particularly simple to keep up with. I go to work in the morning and the gas is at one price, and has changed in the evening. And I don't know how far some folks would go in a boat to save .03 to .10 cents.
Of course you could develop your own website... :laugh:
Bottom line, just like cars, if you want to use your boat, you'll fill it up and bite the bullet. And is it worth a 20-30 minute ride minimum to save a few cents per gallon. Again, not a bad idea, just not one meet with an abundance of enthusiasm.

jimbob1603
06-02-2004, 11:14 AM
I see your point. I guess I was taking the viewpoint of the frugal boater, such as I am. For me, the process of going to the marina is the fun. I don't buzz around the lake for the heck of it. I need to have places to go; a destination. Whether it be to buy gas, the marina for a part, the grocery store in Wolfeboro, etc.

If I have to drive an extra 10 miles to save $.10/gallon, I'd probably do it ... its just somplace to go, bring the kids, socialize.

Its like Christmas ..... most of the fun is in the preparation & anticipation. :D

fpartri497
06-02-2004, 02:35 PM
:eek:

today 2.30 p.m. downings landing gas pumps read $2.69.9 per gal.

:(

jimbob1603
06-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Thats the idea. So, the first entry would look something like this:

Retailer ....................... Price ......... Date/Time

Downings .................... 2.699 ......... 6-2 / 14:30
Fays Marina ................ 1.99x ......... 5-1 / 12:00
Pier 19 ....................... 2.59x ......... 5-16 / 12:00
Lakeport ..................... 2.029 ........ 6-10 / 17:00
Channel Marine ............ 2.449 ......... 6-10 / 15:00

Lets get a few more entries, and we might have something here. ;)

madrasahs
06-02-2004, 07:49 PM
If I have to drive an extra 10 miles to save $.10/gallon, I'd probably do it ... its just someplace to go :D

Won't "using up the difference" between gas pumps around the Lake help create a shortage of gasoline that will result in generalized price increases?

:confused:

jimbob1603
06-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Yes, in theory it would. But, can't we be frugal just because? :argue:

People shop around for good gas prices for their cars; we haven't run out of gas yet! Certainly, there are some boaters who will also apply their same logic to boat gas.

We all like to think we are saving a buck or two once in a while. :D