PDA

View Full Version : Customs for renaming a boat

Lakegeezer
05-07-2004, 07:24 PM
How can I rededicate a boat that is on the lake? If I break a champaign bottle over the bow then I would have to clean up the broken glass. However, the boat I bought bore a name that had to go. Nautical custom dictates that once renamed, a boat must be rededicated with a champaign bottle. Ideas wanted for an alternate but appropriate ceremony?

islandAl
05-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Would strong close web bag to hold the glass, but let the champagne out; do the trick?

mcdude
05-07-2004, 07:44 PM
why not drink the champagne yourself...?. :cheers: ..then throw the bottle overboard? It would be much easier to pick up in the morning. Besides...I think champagne promotes exotic milfoil growth in the lake. Be sure to have a designated driver!! :look:

Cal
05-07-2004, 07:49 PM
I'm with McDude. Give the bow a small taste and drink the rest yourself :laugh:
Just boat safely ;)

RI Swamp Yankee
05-07-2004, 09:08 PM
How can I rededicate a boat that is on the lake?
I remember a good size thread about that here quite some time back. Someone said it was bad luck to rename a boat without the proper ceremony.

P.S. If you must break a bottle of bubbly, don't pay over $1.98 for it. :rolleye2:

madrasahs
05-08-2004, 08:49 AM
How can I rededicate a boat that is on the lake?

This is just another silly boating superstition -- like the following:

A woman must not be allowed to whistle on a boat. (Although I've seen that whistling on board a sailboat will bring the wind).

I re-named my boat yesterday, didn't rededicate it, and nothing bad has happened t

Cal
05-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Here's the real skinny on renaming a boat ;)
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

Hope it's a help. I personally didn't follow the customs but everthing was fine after the fire dept left :eek: :laugh:

Rattlesnake Gal
05-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Wasting the champagne in such a way is alcohol abuse! :D

Lexxi
05-17-2004, 09:47 AM
I remember when my Dad christened our boat, we poured champagne into paper cups for all including the boat, we christened the boat splashed the champagne on the boat and we all drank the rest. And of course no waste went into the lake.

Puff4
05-17-2004, 01:16 PM
I've been a boat owner for many years and I'm well aware of the superstitions about renaming watercraft - it's horribly bad luck... and if one wants to take on this great risk and in so doing, cast their eternal fate to the wind, the requsite 'renaming ceremony' involves numerous long and loud incantations whilst standing in the vessel, followed by copious amounts of alcohol, both for the boat's bow and the owner's gullet (nb: only the best liquor is permitted - else one may tempt the gods to show their displeasure), followed by still further chanting and ranting, along with considerable stumbling about (at least if one executes the ritual properly, anyway).

Some even say that one has to motor or sail the boat backwards for a time to reverse any ill fortunes, although if this particular ritual is to be considered it's best undertaken at the *beginning* of the overall ceremony, since if left to the end (after all the other incantations and liquid 'blessings') it's not a pretty sight and often ends badly, usually involving rocks, piers or other solid, immovable objects in conjunction with the sound of splintering of glassfibre and more incantations and chanting (this time, of a far more colourful nature!). ;)

Joe Kerr
05-17-2004, 02:55 PM
...the superstitions about renaming watercraft - it's horribly bad luck... and if one wants to take on this great risk and in so doing, cast their eternal fate to the wind, the requsite 'renaming ceremony' involves numerous long and loud incantations whilst standing in the vessel...

So what happens when you buy a used boat from a dealership? The boat had a name, the dealer removes the name and next owner adds their own name. The boat has been renamed without the proper ceremony.

How do the spirits view this name change? Is the boat, the dealership or anyone cursed?

I may never buy a used boat from a dealer. Where's Miss Cleo's number, maybe she knows :laugh:

HotDog
05-17-2004, 07:05 PM
well you could shake up the bottle and un cap it. spray it all over the boat then lick it clean. none would go to wast!!- :laugh: