PDA

View Full Version : VISTA operating system

camp guy
05-23-2007, 03:51 PM
I am really not smart about computers, at all. I am, at best, a recreational user, confining myself to e-mail, some sites of interest, some document work, and limited home banking (very limited). But, I do have an old computer running Windows XP, and I am hearing talk about VISTA. Does anyone have an opinion, suggestion, or a clue about VISTA ?? I'd be interested in comments. Thanks.

NightWing
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM
From what I have read, Vista is a turkey. Way too many bugs and, in some respects, isn't as efficient as older software.

Dell Computer Co recently stopped furnishing Vista in new computers and went back to XP.

Just for kicks and giggles, do a Google search on Vista and see what you find.

Here is an article from a few weeks back:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39087

ITD
05-23-2007, 05:27 PM
I'd give it a year or two, you'll know it's time because my experience is Bill Gates starts sending out "updates" that slow your system way down. I usually take that as a sign it's time to upgrade the OS.:rolleye2:

Lakegeezer
05-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Many who have tried it say wait at least until service pack 1. If you buy a new computer, ask to have XP put on it. Vista has driver bugs, blue screens and doesn't run all older applications.

Janie
05-23-2007, 06:48 PM
If you have an older system, Vista will have problems.... I agree with all the previous posts - wait. :) ... or, buy a Mac. ;)

GWC...
05-23-2007, 08:45 PM
If you have an older system, Vista will have problems.... I agree with all the previous posts - wait. :) ... or, buy a Mac. ;)
You mean a Xerox... :eek: :rolleye2:

Rinkerfam
05-23-2007, 09:25 PM
We ordered a Dell laptop with Vista and sent it back within two weeks. Too many glitches that made it cumbersome to use. We got an HP with XP Pro and are quite pleased. My understanding is that Microsoft rushed Vista to market to compete with Mac and give it the same visual feel. It may look similar but is nowhere near as stable a platform.

SIKSUKR
05-24-2007, 06:13 AM
As with any new OS,I would always wait a least a year.There are always bugs to remedy.It seems the more the software offers with each new version,the more problems that need to be worked out.I think Micrsoft puts out these versions and lets you and I be the test monkeys and find the problems and then offers the service packs.

Weirs guy
05-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I usually follow the "wait till SP1 is issued" rule myself. Of course in the case of windows ME.......:rolleye1:

Lucky2Bhere
05-24-2007, 11:09 AM
I haven't had any problems with Apple operating systems over several years. I gave up on microsoft after windows 98. Why should actual users have to do the beta testing?

GWC...
05-25-2007, 09:44 AM
I haven't had any problems with Apple operating systems over several years. I gave up on microsoft after windows 98. Why should actual users have to do the beta testing?

We do not live in a perfect world, Apple included (How about those Beatles'? :D ).

Hope you take proper measures to update and safeguard your computer(s).

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=2847

Chris Exley
05-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Running Vista on an HP Pavillion notebook.

Best operating system I have used from Microsoft. In the interest of full disclosure, I am an application developer who uses Microsoft products.

I started using vista with beta 1, moved to beta 2 and then to production Vista Ultimate. Beta 1 was very buggy, but that's what I get for using a beta, beta 2 was much more stable, though still a bit unstable.

RTM version of ultimate had no problems installing or configuring. Very easy to make sure my computer is secure.

I have not upgraded an older computer to Vista, but if you do, make sure to go to your hardware manufacturers and download the Vista device drivers for your computer before doing the upgrade and put them on a cd so that you will have them when upgrading.

Chris

upthesaukee
05-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Running Vista on an HP Pavillion notebook.

Best operating system I have used from Microsoft. In the interest of full disclosure, I am an application developer who uses Microsoft products.

I started using vista with beta 1, moved to beta 2 and then to production Vista Ultimate. Beta 1 was very buggy, but that's what I get for using a beta, beta 2 was much more stable, though still a bit unstable.

RTM version of ultimate had no problems installing or configuring. Very easy to make sure my computer is secure.

I have not upgraded an older computer to Vista, but if you do, make sure to go to your hardware manufacturers and download the Vista device drivers for your computer before doing the upgrade and put them on a cd so that you will have them when upgrading.

Chris

And have plenty of RAM (Random Access Memory). If your pocketbook will stand it, max out your RAM (2 GB or more). Vista is a memory hog, but those who have ample RAM (at least 1 GB) seem happy with it. Definitely get the drivers for your peripherals AND internal items such as DVD drives, etc.

ApS
05-26-2007, 03:53 AM
"...I do have an old computer running Windows XP, and I am hearing talk about VISTA. Does anyone have an opinion, suggestion, or a clue about VISTA ?? I'd be interested in comments..." Thanks.
Since you describe yourself as a casual user, I don't know what you'd be gaining by switching to VISTA. I bought a Dell XP last year, but didn't find all the "bells and whistles" to be particularly helpful, though the purchased extra memory was helpful in graphics-heavy applications.

The XP sits in a corner, waiting for my much-maligned Windows Millennium Edition to crash and burn—and I use this ME a lot!

Running the free programs Spybot and Ad-Aware has kept ME going fine, and I've never called technical support from day-one, eight years ago! It needs a re-boot after every three hours of continuous use, however, and selecting a new IE window every hour (while closing the old window) has put a halt to the occasional crash.

What keeps me with "old tech" was this Q&A—when the VISTA launch was announced several months ago:

Q: What did it take to make XP the best Windows OS ever?

A: Vista