PDA

View Full Version : best restaurants

phoenix
01-24-2007, 11:33 AM
time for a new poll of the best restaurant in the Center Harbor/ Moultonboro area

Lucky2Bhere
01-24-2007, 09:33 PM
My order:
1. Canoe (best overall food)
2. Woodshed (best combo of food and atmosphere)
3. Corner House (pub is best casual atmosphere anywhere )
4. Village Kitchen (best breakfast and economy dinner)
5. Lemongrass (Great for sushi and alternative dining)

jkjoshuatree
01-24-2007, 11:00 PM
...The Corner House Inn

Best atmosphere.

Best selection.

Best food.

Phantom
01-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Boy -- that was a tough decision --- Only choosing the BEST, hmmmm

I toyed back and forth, forth & Back -- i absolutely love the fact that Canoe has a courtesy vehicle to pick you up at Center Harbor Public docks - and their food (for the most part) is great ---- but in the end, Woodshed got my vote, even if i hate getting in the car (versus boat) in the summer months!!

MaryS
01-26-2007, 07:09 PM
My favorite is the Corner House Inn in Sandwich, perfect food, cozy atmosphere....This has been mentioned in this thread and should be listed in the selection to vote.

jkjoshuatree
01-26-2007, 10:18 PM
I've said for the past year (in several different posts) that the Corner House Inn is definitely one of the best (if not the best) restaurant in the Lakes Region.

But for some reason it never gets the recommendation it deserves.

I'm glad someone else feels as strongly as I do about it.

Just Wonderin
01-28-2007, 05:39 PM
I wonder if the voting would have been different if the Corner House had been included...maybe next poll.

Old Hubbard Rd
01-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Who set this poll up?? How could you leave out such a nice place like the Corner House Inn?? It's off the beaten path and sometimes skips my mind although it's a great place. Let's start the poll over.

Pineedles
01-28-2007, 08:30 PM
I have :liplick: enjoyed The Woodshed for many years but have to give vote to Canoe as the up and coming place to be.

MDoug
01-28-2007, 08:35 PM
1. Canoe
2. Lago
3. Walter's (a few years ago)

phoenix
02-02-2007, 10:45 AM
just as the poll of 2005 Woodshed and Canoe basically tied for favorite restaurant on northern area of the lake. But a very respectible showing by two news restaurants Lemon Grass and Kevin's . next year's poll will include Corner House and any others that people feel worthy and by then there will probably be one or two new ones

Hermit Cover
02-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Mrs. Hermit Cover and I had dinner the other night at "other" and it's easy to see why many people liked this place. The service was well-prepared, the dinner was polite and prompt, and there was no wait for a dessert. We will make this a regular stop.....

phoenix
02-02-2007, 07:23 PM
"other "must have been great to drive from VA. and i bet they didn't even take american express

skisox24
03-16-2007, 07:51 PM
In the following order:

Lemon Grass
Canoe
Kevin's Cafe
Abondante

Lago
Town Docks (steamers and beer)

farechofisherman
03-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Corner House # 1
Canoe #2
Woodshed is a different class of restaurant than my top two, not even close to corner house or canoe.

Old Hubbard Rd
03-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Do you mean the Woodshed is better or worse?? I think the Woodshed is the BEST!!

Just Sold
03-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I have only frequented the Canoe and I must say the menu selctions are top notch. I will now have to try the rest this year. But for now the Canoe gets my vote.

BlackCatIslander
03-17-2007, 11:37 AM
This is such a subjective issue, but when not considering cost my vote is as follows. In first place is the Woodshed followed by the Lake House, and then Abondante followed by Canoe. Lago is probably in fifth place. It will be interesting to see what happens when the Coe House reopens.

Although I have a clear preference, we ate at Canoe last week and had a fine meal and we will patronize all of the above mentioned restaurants during the year depending upon our mood and interest in something that one might do a little better than it's competitors.

BrownstoneNorth
03-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Our favorites, in no particular order and depending mostly on mood:

Kevin's
Woodshed
Mise en Place
Garwood's

We've also been very pleased with Mill 51.

Old Hubbard Rd
03-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I find it really questionable that people think Kevin's is such a wonderful place. No discredit or disrespect to Kevin's hard work but it's like a diner/cafetaria. Kevins does not even compare to restaurants like Woodshed, Corner House, Canoe & Lake House. We ate at Kevin's. We will not be back. It was very expensive. Good Luck to him. I wish him well. I just question those that eat there and think it is similar to the better restaurants out there.

phoenix
03-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Kevin has the best fish in the lakes region

jrc
03-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Kevin has the best fish in the lakes region

Do you mean fish or shellfish or both?

More to the point how is their haddock, my wife is a haddock addict.

phoenix
03-17-2007, 10:03 PM
haddock was great and their crab cakes are outstanding but they are expensive and no atmosphere

skisox24
03-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Agreed. If you are looking for fresh fish prepared carefully but not in a complicated pretentious way, Kevin's is the place. I don't think of his prices as expensive, but if you want fresh seafood, you have to pay for it. We have dined at Kevin's five or six times and always enjoyed the results of his cooking skills.

I also agree that his dining room lacks atmosphere. Its clean but as a former bakery, it doesn't contribute positively to the entire experience. But if you enjoy fresh seafood you won't be disappointed.

wehatetoquitit
03-24-2007, 06:39 PM
I see that this poll relates to the best "overall" resturants in the Center Harbor area, but I was wondering, are there recomendations for catagories, say, Best steaks, Best fish, Best italian, Best Bar-B-Que,Best Diner, etc. Canoe is great, and I love it, but the food mix is eclectic, Woodshed is also great for Prime rib, never had a steak there, however. How is Christmas Island for beef.

Any recomendations other then the ones listed in this thread would be appreciated.

The Corner House, is one I will surely try when we get to Lakes region later this year.

On another note, I winter in California and summer on Bear Island. This is a great site for us out-of-towners to stay in touch with the area we love the most. THANKS.

jkjoshuatree
03-26-2007, 09:10 AM
My family's had a place on Bear Island for 34 years...what side are you on (west or east)?

We may have seen each other at the mail dock if you're on west.

Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can't go wrong at the Corner House Inn. Great atmosphere, great food, great location (very secluded). The young waitresses (the two or three I've had anyway) lack a little personality, but overall, a very fine dining experience.

Try the stuffed mushrooms (if you like stuffed mushrooms). And they have an incredible Sunday brunch.

Report back once you've tried it.

jkjoshuatree
03-26-2007, 09:26 AM
...I forgot to mention Lago in Meredith.

Past posts have had mixed reviews and although I've never had entrees there, they have great salads and appetizers. The calamari is great and the tomato and mozzarella salad is to die for.

If you just want something small and a few drinks, the atompshere is perfect. There's a small patio area outside that is literally three or four feet from the water. If it's a nice evening, you can't beat the location for a cocktail.

George's in Meredith has great breakfasts. So does the Waterfall Cafe inside Mills Falls.

I'd stay away from the Town Docks and the restaurant in Church Landing is mediocre.

Nothin' Fancy at Weirs Beach has good mexican and Las Pinatas in Laconia gets great reviews for "authentic" mexican, but I've never been there myself.

The Common Man in Ashland is very good (although a lot of people here think the Common Man restaurants are slipping in quality, my experiences at the Ashland one have always been favorable). Very New Englandy feel to it. And make sure you go upstairs either before or after dinner for a drink. Very cool bar. Outside roof deck too.

If you want super high-end, the restaurant at the Manor On Golden Pond is a dress-code, chef sample menu, extensive (and expensive) wine list kind of place.

Garwoods in Wolfeboro is decent and it has outside seating right on the water.

51 Mill Street (also in Wolfeboro) was great when we tried it. We had some kind of tuna sashimi for an appetizer and it was outstanding.

Of course there's the new O in Lakeport (all favorable reviews so far).

Patrick's in Gilford is good for comfort, pub-type food. They have karaoke and live entertainment too.

There are so many good place to eat around the lake. Just be patient and I'm sure you'll have dozens of recommendations within the next few days.

Just make sure you give your review here after you've dined at a place!:D

wehatetoquitit
03-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi Jkjoshuatree:

Thanks for the recomendations. We also love George's, and agree with your assessment of the Town Docks.

We are on the east side of BI across from 5 mile and just north of Camp Nakomis. And we are at the Mail Dock almost every day at 11:30 for the festivities.

jkjoshuatree
03-26-2007, 10:22 PM
I spelled your name wrong not once but twice. The third time's the charm though...finally.

Maybe I'll see you at the mail dock this summer.

Jk

nerual721
03-31-2007, 01:04 PM
I'd love to see a poll about the best restaurant on the other side of the Lake. We are still the new kids in town and I'd love to see how the Forum readers rank us with all the old timers. Maybe from Meredith to Alton...??
Lauren Lyons
The Lyons' Den Restaurant & Tavern
Best View on the Lake

phoenix
03-31-2007, 05:09 PM
why don't you start the poll. just start a new thread