PDA

View Full Version : Re: Hole in the Wall Ice

KPW
02-14-2004, 06:29 AM
A snowmobile went through last weekend. They say it is not even safe to walk on. I would stay away from it.

JTA
02-14-2004, 08:20 AM
My “Hole in the Wall” ice education: A number of years ago, after walking to my camp (on Cow Island) across the ice from the Barber’s Pole, I decided to buy a snowmobile and come out from Harilla Landing. Of course, I buzzed through the Hole in the Wall as I was accustomed to doing with my boat. On one trip in for supplies (I was by myself) I ran into a fellow who was offloading his sled and heading out to check his camp, and he asked me if he could ride with me for a bit. I headed out to my place with him behind (through the Hole, of course). He was quite excited and animated when we arrived at my place, “I didn’t know how to stop you”, he exclaimed, “but when I saw you were OK going through the Hole, I went too!” He then shared with me the fact that the Hole in the Wall is dangerous because there is moving water through it and it may sometimes never freeze, or it freezes over thinner than the rest of the surrounding ice. He pointed out that there was an over land bypass for snowmobiles onto Cow Island by Devens. The next year I headed to the Hole, and sure enough, open water. So I used the by pass. The lesson ... the Hole may be frozen enough for a snowmobile at times. I still run through if It has been very cold and I see other tracks. Don’t stop in the middle for a nice view. and .... DON’T RUN A CAR OR TRUCK THROUGH!

spotsink
02-14-2004, 08:27 AM
We walked by there on Sunday the 8th and there was open water and several snowmobiles "skimming" back and forth. If you have to go that way I would suggest going on the land to pass that area. Of course I'm assuming your sled is one of those with the wooden top and iron runners... maybe that is a bit rash of me.