PDA

View Full Version : anybody else get spammed with a PM?

Dave R
10-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Someone is trying to sell me a 15 year old boat through a PM. What's up with that?

Paugus Bay Resident
10-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Nope, fortunately didn't get it.

webmaster
10-19-2006, 02:58 PM
If you receive any spam through the forum's PM or email functions please let me know who sent it or just forward the entire message to me. Only registered members can PM or email you through the forum. If I discover that a registered member is sending spam their membership will be disabled.

Spamming forums is a recent problem that is growing every day. I now receive dozens of spam messages a day through the "Contact Us" form and at least that many new memberships who want to post all kinds of undesirable stuff on the forum. I screen and approve every new member and have been able to keep almost all the spammers out although it takes a great deal of time every day to sift through them all and try to determine who is legitimate and who is not. When in doubt I approve the member and place them on moderation until I see their first few posts.

The problem with all the screening is that new memberships can be delayed until I do some checking. If anyone has registered but still can't post please drop me an email and I'll approve you right away. Sorry for the inconvenience but it is the only way to keep the forum free of the nonsense.

Again, if you get spam or any other questionable messages from other members please let me know right away.

Spam has also become a problem with the Classified section. Spammers don't have to be registered to respond to ads and several people have told me that they received spam through the online reply form. Unfortunately there is not much I can do about the content of ad replies and I recommend that you just delete anything that is questionable. The good thing is that the reply form is blind and the sender never learns your email address unless you include it in the body of your ad (not recommended).

Sorry for any spam you receive and be assured that I am doing everything I can to keep the troublemakers and spammers out.

Weirs guy
10-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Sorry for any spam you receive and be assured that I am doing everything I can to keep the troublemakers and spammers out.

and let me be the first to say doing a heck of a good job at it too!

Pepper
10-19-2006, 09:00 PM

I second that!!! :D

Tired of Waiting
10-20-2006, 04:40 PM

I third that....:)

ToW

DRH
10-20-2006, 09:06 PM
I third that....:)

ToW I guess it's unanimous! :D

gtxrider
10-23-2006, 12:26 PM
SPAM, I love it. Sorry old Monty Python bit. :rolleye2:

I guess there is no such thing as privacy!