PDA

View Full Version : Mise en Place

pmj
10-13-2006, 03:08 PM
I am not sure if I spelled that right. Does anyone know if they have a website? I am also looking for directions..open all year?

I have heard good things about this restaurant. Any opinions here?

Thanks,
pmj

SteveA
10-13-2006, 03:22 PM
pmj,

never been there... cause I'm from the "other side" of the lake..:)

http://www.nhliving.com/dining/lakes.shtml

They are on the list shown...

Maybe this is the place your looking for

SteveA

Frank
10-14-2006, 08:34 AM
I think Mis en Place is the best "fine dining" (i.e, not a place for my 5 year old daughter) restaurant in the Lakes region, not that I've been to every other one necessarily. It has the food and service you would expect from a nice bistro-style place in Boston or Seattle. It is also fairly expensive for a restaurant up here.

They are open at least some days of the week all year, but call ahead. The place is tiny, so reservations are essential. They are off the beaten path in Wolfeboro... in the summer, we take the boat, and walk about 1/4 mile to get there, as the little street the restaurant is on, Lehner Street, is a couple blocks inland from Main Street. The location is not very good, but the food is! Just ignore the abandoned buildings next door. :)

Here's a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=96+Lehner+St,+Wolfeboro,+NH.

- Frank

TomC
10-18-2006, 05:11 AM
at least literally. i wonder what the significance of the name is? is there a more appropriate translation? my high school french is long gone...

mcdude
10-18-2006, 06:21 AM
click for more on MISE EN PLACE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mise_en_place)
:p

Newbiesaukee
10-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Mise en place is a cooking term meaning that all of the ingredients are assembled, such as on a counter, and you are ready to cook.( sorry, I did not check McDudes link before answering).

pamsy30
10-19-2006, 04:26 PM
We went there for lunch over the summer and went back the next day for dinner. We wanted dinner on our last night but they were booked.

The food, service and atmosphere are all excellent. It was nice to be waited on by someone (both times) who was not home from college for the summer and who knew about the wines and food they were serving.

Fantastic all around.

robertwcook16
02-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Went to Mise en Place last night for dinner. We were a party of 2 & had one of the best meals we have ever had in the Lakes region. Had a gift cert from restaurant.com which I paid $4.00 for a $25.00 certificate. It was quite expensive but well worth the price. Started with the pumpkin ravioli in a curry cream as an appetizer. My partner had salad of baby greens w/ dried fruit, goat cheese & balsamic dressing. He is a very picky eater & loved everything he had. For mains we got the filet special & lump crabmeat risotto w' seared sea scallops. Both were delicious !!!! For dessert we chose the Lemon tart with fresh berries. Wonderful!!!!! Everything that was served seemed so fresh & prepared to order. Great ingredients & wonderful quality combined for a very memorable meal. Service was mpeccable as well. We will return to Mise en Place as often as possible. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

donnamatrix
02-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Mis en place (everything in place) is the BEST restaurant up here. We live year round in Moultonboro (the boonies) and although it's pricey, the food is spectacular, and service is same. There is a waiter there who shaves his head, don't remember his name, he is the best fellow. So knowledgeable and just a delightful guy. It's more upscale than Canoe, but the menu changes constantly (unlike Canoe which cannot seem to change vegetables) and the salad, as mentioned in an earlier post, is absolutely scrumptious... but it's large, enough for 2 to share as an appetizer. Do NOT miss ordering dessert for any reason. If you are too full, take it home!!! Worth the calories.

Knomad
02-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Mise en Place is indeed the best resturant we've been to in the area. Excellect food and service. Worth every penny (dollar).

beaner
02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
There is a waiter there who shaves his head, don't remember his name, he is the best fellow. So knowledgeable and just a delightful guy. .

That would be Gary. I agree - he is absolutely the best waiter in the area, and you won't find a nicer, funnier guy anywhere. We had made a reservation at Mise en Place in December to celebrate a special event. Because we were there in the midst of a big snowstorm, we ended up having the whole place to ourselves! Now if you've ever dined at Mise en Place, you know how rare that situation would be. It was truly a memorable evening: delicious food, impeccable service, romantic lighting and snow falling outside. While we were eating dessert, unbeknownst to us, Gary had gone outside and shoveled a path out to our car!

The selfish part of me is reluctant to give this place the kudos it deserves, because we're afraid we won't be able to get a table if everyone knew about it.

offmycloud
02-06-2008, 02:52 PM
I was there Saturday evening as well and it was great. I chime in and bash the Woodshed a lot on this site and I have opposite feelings for Mis en Place, it is superb - especially considering where it is. To make money in the restaurant business in the lakes region you don't have to be that good - like Garwoods, Woodshed, etc. At Mis en Place they clearly take a lot a of pride in their food and are not out to just make a buck. These guys are true food enthusiasts. I ordered the most expensive red on the menu, a $69 syrah (really not that expensive at all) and it was super. There were four of us and we had a lot of drinks, appetizers, brandy and dessert and the total bill was $290 (pre-tip) - that's pretty darn cheap!! I will call there first everytime over any other restaurant - but it's tough to get a reservation in the summer though so call way ahead.

Cristen
03-30-2008, 09:27 AM
That would be Gary. I agree - he is absolutely the best waiter in the area, and you won't find a nicer, funnier guy anywhere. We had made a reservation at Mise en Place in December to celebrate a special event. Because we were there in the midst of a big snowstorm, we ended up having the whole place to ourselves! Now if you've ever dined at Mise en Place, you know how rare that situation would be. It was truly a memorable evening: delicious food, impeccable service, romantic lighting and snow falling outside. While we were eating dessert, unbeknownst to us, Gary had gone outside and shoveled a path out to our car!

The selfish part of me is reluctant to give this place the kudos it deserves, because we're afraid we won't be able to get a table if everyone knew about it.

Gary is a friend of mine. He also works at my company's events in Charlestown, MA. He is a great guy, and loves what he does for work. He has a strong passion for Winnipesuakee too!!