PDA

View Full Version : Sport Bikes @ Bike Week - Where to go?

marcucci
04-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi All,

I have been to every bike week since 92 when I was 17 (and my parents bought their place and stopped renting for 3 wks a year) and for the last 3 years I have owned a Suzuki RF600 that I have taken up. Most of the time I am out on my boat and not on the bike, but when I go out on the bike it seems like there is no place for people on bikes like mine to go to hang out, buy clothes, or buy bike stuff. Now I have hung out with the Harley gang before (as several of my friends have hogs) but I don't think they like my little sport bike messing up the look of black and chrome when they ride.

So, anyone got some suggestions for the guys like me, up there to enjoy bike week just like everyone else but not having so much chrome on their bikes?

PS: To the guy who was broken down on his Harley whom I passed and yelled out "Should have bought a Honda!" I hope you know I was just having fun. :p

Yes, Dear
04-26-2004, 12:38 PM
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en/home.asp?bmLocale=en_US

Fancy
04-26-2004, 12:41 PM
My experience (as a Harley passenger) has pretty much been that you can go wherever you want - unfortunately there will always be a few idiots you will have to deal with. . . no matter what you drive!! Have a great time!

marcucci
04-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Before I can go here

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en/home.asp?bmLocale=en_US

I need to win this

http://www.nhlottery.org/games/infopb.htm

to pay for the bike!

KevinPlante
04-26-2004, 09:40 PM
I have not missed a bike week in a long time. It is my favorite holiday. I have always been on Harleys and such. I work at a Harley dealership. This year, I own a Honda RC51. I'll still go up there on it, but I won't be cruising the strip like I did on Harleys. When you are walking around or out at the bars, nobody knows what you have for a bike unless you advertise it. The only thing that I really hate is when people ride jap imitation Harleys and try to play it off like they are getting off a hopped up custom FXSTB or something.

Go up and have fun. Don't worry about what other people think.

marcucci
04-27-2004, 09:10 AM
My biggest question is, where are all the super sport accessory dealers? I love going up there and getting my yearly pin, looking at the other bikes, listening to the music, and getting my 3 t-shirts but I must be honest, there are very few places that have clothing, helmets, or bike accessories for bikes like mine up there. I did get my riding jacket up there but I would love to shop for other items. Anyone know a good place to go for these types of items.

When I ride I don't wear a leather body suit that matches my red bike and says "Suzuki" up the side so I don't stand out and I have no problems with the people at bike week. Actually, people always ask me how I get along with the harley guys up there, assuming I don't because of what I ride, and I tell them "Most of the people at Bike week are more friendly then strangers." I then try to tell them how we are all bikers and we all have one thing in common so we are not really strangers to one another but they usually don't understand.

jrc
04-27-2004, 09:26 AM
marcucci,
I've been going on and off for years on various Japanese sport bikes. Like you, I've never had a problem with the Harley people. People like to tell stories about bad things happening but I doubt many of them are true.

On the other hand, there really is much in the way of goodies for sport bikes up there. I usually just get some junk food, and a t-shirt. Obviously some stuff like helmets, wax, and oil, is generic but hardly worth the trip. Last year I went to the Weirs by boat and walked around. Left the bike at home. It took a few minutes to get a dock. But it's better than sitting in traffic on RT 3 from Laconia and paying to park.

madrasahs
04-27-2004, 09:48 AM
I've never had a problem with the Harley people. People like to tell stories about bad things happening but I doubt many of them are true.

During Bike Week a couple of years ago, I drove by wrecked motorcycle scene ("a bad thing happening") near Alton Bay, en route to Rochester.

It may have been the reported head-on collision that killed one Harley biker and sent two (the other, oncoming) bikers to the hospital. How many survived -- how many wore helmets or NH's mandatory eye protection -- I never learned.

It wasn't the only biker fatality in recent years, but how can a biker have a head-on collision with other bikers?

Maybe they need louder pipes?

KevinPlante
04-27-2004, 11:13 AM
A lot of the stuff vendors are selling up there is crap. I'd rather buy stuff for my bike from a shop that will be there in two weeks. There is some good stuff here and there, but that is generally hard to come by. The key is to know what you're buying. The other thing is dyno runs. There are a lot of people up there with trailer dynos offering dyno tuning. Most of them don't really know what they are doing, and some even burn up motors once in a while. Just something to keep in mind. If you are into bikes, check out another forum I'm on: www.insanespeed.com

jrc
04-27-2004, 04:17 PM
madrasahs
When I said "bad things" I meant the anecdotes about Harley riders harrasing or injuring riders of Japaneses motorcycles. I didn't mean to imply that I don't believe any bad things ever happen, I'll try to be more clear.

I'm sure vehicle accidents happen during bike week, as they do pretty much every week. As for head-on collisions, it's not something I'd wish on anyone, it's a pretty bad thing. I don't think exhaust volume or helmets can contribute to or prevent motorcycle accidents. Proper eye protection has obvious accident prevention benefits.

Old Chris Craft
04-27-2004, 07:38 PM
There is usually a truck with "Rice Rocket Remover" painted on the snow plow near the Tamarack intersection that must make non-Harley riders feel welcome.

marcucci
04-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Old Chris Craft,

I have never seen that I may have to take a ride up there to check it out. You know, maybe I should rename my boat to "What I bought with the money I saved by not getting a Harley" to zing them back. However, I don't really feel that way. :rolleye2:

Kevin,

I saw one bike up there in the dyno trailer get destroyed while the owner looked on. I guess you sign something that says you take responsibility for damages not the dyno guys. Anyway, there were hot melting chunks of metal flying out the exhaust while the guy pounded away on the nitro button on this poor guys bike!

jrc
04-29-2004, 09:37 AM
There is usually a truck with "Rice Rocket Remover" painted on the snow plow near the Tamarack intersection that must make non-Harley riders feel welcome.

Yikes! I've never seen that. But I still think, violent Harley vs Japanese incidents are rare. Those that do happen are probably more related to blood alcohol content.

Old Chris Craft
05-02-2004, 12:07 PM
The truck is usually parked on the corner property where Sun Valley Cottages is located. One year they had it up on a huge rock (couldn't firgure out how they got it up there).