PDA

View Full Version : Taming The Apostrophe

NightWing
09-20-2006, 04:28 PM
I will apologize in advance to anybody who takes offense by this link. No offense is intended, but I just read another post where the apostrophe was incorrectly used many times.....as in adding ( 's) in order to make something plural. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

This link will take all the guesswork out of it. Try it, you might like it.;)

http://www.users.bigpond.com/J_fersOffice/sample.htm

Pineedles
09-20-2006, 05:58 PM
My wife is an 8th grade English teacher and I am constantly trying to catch her with mistakes in her day to day English. Thanks Nightwing, I'll study up. BTW, did I capitalize the word "English" correctly in my post?:laugh:

Hermit Cover
09-20-2006, 06:14 PM
wood somewon wory so mutch aboutt a cupple apostrophyees whin mosst of the find peeple on these forms hav trubble speling evan the eesiest wurds. Hav wie nevr hurd of spill chik???"""''' Thers lotso reely bad gramar usd hear 2,,the webb mister culd cleen upp this forim and place postrophy"s whyll he...s at it!

Pineedles
09-20-2006, 07:52 PM
In olden times there was shorthand. I can't reproduce it here with these fonts but my message would equate to "m w ng t try c fp tx i; sty. C ok? At least that's what I remember of the lanquage, when I tried to decipher my mother's Christmas list.

Captain Bob
09-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Then there was the town's eccentric rich man in Newburyport, MA; wrote a whole book without any punctuation whatsoever, and had it printed, like in the late 1700's or so; at the end of the book he had a couple of pages of just commas, periods, apostrophes, etc, with a note saying something like "salt and pepper as you please"!

Rinkerfam
09-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Captain Bob,
did you really mean to say "like in the late 1700's"? The common use of the word "like" as a pre-fix has got to be one of the most annoying trends in contemporary "American" English:D

Pepper
09-20-2006, 11:17 PM
NightWing, I can see that you've been driven half out of your mind, and can relate! ;) Currently I'm battling insanity as a result of the latest affliction to the English language, which can be found in the form of "text messaging". Have you ever tried to read a text message sent to your cell phone by a teenager? :rolleye1:

Thanks for the link! I enjoyed it immensely! :D

NightWing
09-21-2006, 08:01 AM
NightWing, I can see that you've been driven half out of your mind, and can relate! ;) Currently I'm battling insanity as a result of the latest affliction to the English language, which can be found in the form of "text messaging". Have you ever tried to read a text message sent to your cell phone by a teenager? :rolleye1:

Thanks for the link! I enjoyed it immensely! :D

No, I have never had a text message on my cell phone. That feature, along with many others, I chose not to activate. As long as I have a dial tone, a ring tone and can say "hello?" on it is all I need. My phone takes pictures and video too as long as I have a power cable connected to Seabrook. I would rather use my camera.;)

Captain Bob
10-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Captain Bob,
did you really mean to say "like in the late 1700's"? The common use of the word "like" as a pre-fix has got to be one of the most annoying trends in contemporary "American" English:D

Actually, I sometimes toss in some loose lingo to make my writing seem more relaxed. But you're not off the hook yourself - I might do some research as to when we started thinking we had to add the work "really" (oop - like I used the word "actually" myself....)

CB

Rinkerfam
10-15-2006, 09:05 PM
hahahaha!!! How did I not see that coming?:laugh: Thanks for catching me on that one.