PDA

View Full Version : Re: vacation rental

DaPooh
02-16-2004, 03:42 PM
I also have a few questions. First time at Winni and thinking of staying at Village of Winnipesaukee second week of June 2004. Anyone knows about this place? Also, first time boater and nervous like heck..any tips for first time boater on this huge lakes? Already bought the Bizer chart. Is the water warm enough for tubing in June? and what should I use for fishing baits (for 6 and 12 years old kids) Where is the easiest public or private boat launch for beginner? Thanks a million in advance.

DaPooh

Gilligan
02-16-2004, 09:39 PM
You’ll love your stay at the lake. I like to stay at the Village at Winnie; it’s not perfect though. It’s also good for first time boaters to be a bit nervous (I'll save that for another message). Here are my critique on the Village at Winnipesaukee. Units do vary.

Village at Winnipesaukee: It’s an older, multi building condo complex. Renting is done by various methods (individual owners, agents etc.). They allow behaved pets (keep them on a leash and clean up after them). They have a nice, large, slightly heated (I think) outdoor pool. If you are on the first or second floor you WILL hear the people walking (or kids running) from the unit above you (not so in the top, third floor units). The walls are a bit thin. You will walk from the parking lot to your unit. Up stairs for 2nd and 3rd floor units, down for ground floor units. No elevators, no wheelchair access. Some main doors are closer to the parking area than others are. No assigned parking as I recall.

Typical 2 bedroom units have a double or queen bed in the master and two twin beds in the 2nd bedroom. Headboard may not be connected to the bed, but it’s there. Chest of drawers, end tables and lamps in some kind of interesting condition. Usually the sofa in the living area pulls out to make an uncomfortable bed. In some units I find the sofa uncomfortable to sit on as a sofa, I bottom out. Small dining area – which, in 3 bedroom units, disappears and becomes the walled off third bedroom. Usually a through the wall air conditioner in each bedroom. Often with dirty clogged filters, dented cases and vibration noise (I am picky). Not enough to cool the kitchen or living area but usually keeps the bedrooms cool. Can wake me when cycling on and off. More of a concern during hot July days and nights. Units have 2 full, small but functional bathrooms. Full but small kitchens with the basic appliances and some pots, pans, glasses, cups, bowls, plates, cutlery and such (I wash everything there before I use it because I’m a bit obsessive compulsive). We bring paper/plastic plates, cups and utensils and toss them when we are done with them (why wash and dry - it's vacation). Besides, if we have company visit we often run out of supplied forks, plates, glasses and such.

Color cable TV in the living area (I usually have to fiddle with the TV to get a good picture on all the channels we are supposed to get. Loose cables, improper settings and adjustments on the TV and with the Cable Company and etc.). We often bring our own TV and use our own splitter and wire to have a cable TV in the master bedroom while the kids watch in the living area before bed. I believe each unit has a telephone. You are on a hill and cell service is usually very good.

I believe blankets, bedsheets and pillows are provided (double check). I don’t think towels are provided. I usually bring my own linens and pillows for a week stay anyway (I like MY pillow).

Living area has big sliding glass door leading to private balcony (patio area for ground floor units – patios lead to large open common grassy field). This looks toward the lake and a few units have lake view, peek-a-boo lake views or mountain views. Since units are individually owned the brand, style, quality and age of furniture varies but rental units all seem to have similar amenities. They are all set out the same. Tables, chairs, beds and such. Minimal number of electric outlets and switched lights. We need extra outlets for charging cell, and all the other electronic gear we take for granted (hair dryer, elec toothbrush, video games, radio, CD player and the like). We bring extension cords and multiple cube taps (3 outlets from one socket). Can’t remember if all the electric plugs were three prong outlets. Bring along a few adapters for older style outlets just in case or be prepared to dash out to a local store to buy them – they are cheap and available even at convenience stores.

That is the critical view. Again, I have rented numerous times at the Village at Winnipesaukee and will rent again. I find it to be a good vacation get-a-way at our lake. Beats a desert island, the Margate and Misty Harbor. Convenient location. Close to Weirs, Weirs Beach, Funspot, malls, amusements, water slides, mini-golf, stores and more.

Enjoy your stay at the Village at Winnipesaukee DaPooh. You'll be back !!

Gilligan

Gilligan
02-16-2004, 11:20 PM
TO: First time boater new to the lake.

You have taken the right first step. You have the Bizer map of the lake. Do you have (or need) a Boater Education Safety Certificate? If you don’t have a recognized certificate and were born on or after Jan 1, 1973 you NEED one to drive a boat on the lake. If you plan to let your 6 and 12 year old kids drive the boat (you must be in the boat) then YOU need to have a safe boater certificate anyway. For info, a NH course and on-line test, see http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/course/index.htm . You’ll find the course answers many of your boating questions. Doesn't hurt to have one even if you are too old to need one this season. Praactice exams there are very helpful but the course contains some ocean stuff we do not use on Lake Winnie.

In a perfect world I would have you go out in the boat a few times without the distraction of family. Either alone or with a boater. Get used to your boat and how it handles. How does the engine trim work best. Easiest way to get on plane. How to use the trim tabs (if you have them). How it takes the waves, best way to take waves. Practice close in maneuvering and then docking. There is a “No Rafting Zone” marker that I use to practice with. Usually early and when no boats are anchored in the area. Like putting the back left corner of the boat at the marker – or pulling along side the marker without rubbing it. It’s just south of the Governer’s Island Bridge. Coming from Weirs, go to the right just after going under the bridge and it’s the first marker you see. Near shore and a swim rope but not any navigation hazard.

You don’t mention size and style of boat which can make a difference. It may be more convenient to find a dock, rack or slip for the week (if you can) than to launch boat and park car each time you want to use the boat. I don’t think the Village at Winnipesaukee comes with any docking facilities (maybe a day dock - check on that). There are many boat ramps available to the public for a fee ($10-$20 to launch and park). Although I have extensive trailing experience I don’t have a lot of knowledge about ramps in the area. Which are the easiest to maneuver for a new trailer driver to back down – easiest to boat away from and such. I'll let others comment on the best boat ramps. And remember to put in your drain plug and disconnect tie downs prior to launch. Don’t be afraid or embarassed to ask for help from seasoned boaters nearby or even go to a marina to launch or ask for their help to launch your boat the first time(s). Getting the boat back on the trailer is another treat. Be slow and careful and again, don’t be afraid to ask for help. We were all first time boaters at some point. Balance and secure tie down is a must.

First time boater. In the summer, do NOT go out on the lake on a WEEKEND (unless you are off the lake before 10 AM). Just don’t do it. Particularly not a good way to introduce a boat timid wife to our lake. Too much boat traffic. Too many boat induced waves (wakes). Don’t go out at night yet either. Stick to the west and south parts of the lake. Follow your chart. If you are unsure of an area, go very slow, watching the bottom, or TURN AROUND.

If you plan to anchor at a sandbar and hang out (or is that chill) you should have TWO anchors. One for the bow and another for the stern. Even at shallow sandbars it is a good idea to keep your boat from swinging. At a crowded anchorage you’ll see why everyone uses 2 anchors to keep them is place.

Depending on where you launch: Enjoy Paugus Bay (nice sandbar, shown in blue, by the shore to the right of Little Island). The kids might like a “boat in” Burger King a bit south of that sandbar – there are docks there but no “boat through”. Ride through the Weirs channel to Meredith. Or go from Weirs around Governor’s Island (watch for the markers between Eagle and Gov Island) or go “inside” Gov Island via the channel and under the bridge (also easy and clearly marked on the map). Watch for the “Witches” and, if you see the markers easily, go between the witches and Timber Island, OR, to be very cautious, go around the witches, giving them a wide swing by going toward Sanders Bay. From there you have clear area to the Broads. Easy boating from that area to Alton Bay, Winter Harbor, Wolfeboro. You could even find Braun Bay (Grid D-5 on last Bizer Map) another good shallow, sandy anchoring area. Bring squirt guns for the kids. Public docks at the Weirs, in Meredith, Alton Bay and Wolfeboro. Do some shopping, sightseeing, buy some ice cream and etc.. Have the family help you dock (push off from other boats if you get too close). Bumping other boats happens but is to be avoided if at all possible. Want a little challenge, go around Bear Island or go up to Center Harbor. Also easy but a but more navigationally tricky. Binoculars can help you spot markers. Follow the map. Not all passage ways are intuitive. Do you go between or around those markers? see map.

Yes the temperatures are usually fine for tubing in June. Sometimes kids wear a tee shirt. Remember that you need an observer (13 years or older) for each person you tow (maximum two) in addition to the boat driver. Each tuber needs a life preserver. Have you a ladder so they can climb back in to the boat? The boat will handle different depending on how many people are in the boat, where they sit and also when you tow. Towing is another subject. Hand signals, finding the right speed for the tuber and then holding that speed. It can be an art.

That should give you plenty to get started and lots of lake to cover in a week without putting you in difficult navigating situations. We monitor marine Channel 16 for calling/emergencies only. Move to another channel once contact established and for conversation.

Hope this gives you some good starting points. I'm sure you will enjoy the lake. So far I have found NO uncharted islands on the lake .

Gilligan

Jeff Furber
02-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Excellent advice for DaPooh from Gilligan, print it out and read it carefully.
Perhaps taking an expierenced Winnie boater with you for the first few times , preferably in the early mornings will help. It will give you a feel for the lake.
I would by a Bizer map today and start to familiarize youself with the area where you are staying. Good luck .

Rattlesnake Gal
02-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Remember to stay 150 feet away from other boats and objects! So many people violate this rule.
Do not follow other boaters into a dangerous situation, they may not be aware of what they are doing is a risk.
Take the safety course! In the classroom preferably, you will get so much out of it. This will give you lots of confidence too.
We bought our children some shorty wet suits. Well worth it. They get used the whole season. Available on line ( www.bartswatersports.com - for example)or at Parafunalia ~ They have stores in Meredith and Gilford.
Practice moving the boat trailer around on land. It can be very stressful at the ramp while others are waiting for you. (Always get the boat ready to go before you are on the ramp or there will be angry people.)
Gilligans advice is right on.

http://www.boat-ed.com/nh

DaPooh
02-17-2004, 07:25 PM
Thank YOU ALL...you all are great and very helpful.

Da Pooh

DaPooh
02-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Hi Gilligan,
You're very helpfu. Your message helped me alot but at the same time scared me alot .

I have an 18-foot, 140HP I/O Stingray boat. Never tow anything in my life, never backing up with a trailer or launching it. I want a public dock with less boater and want to drive around where are less traffic and less rocks. I am still learning to read the chart and markers...etc. Thanks a whole bunch.
Da Pooh

Belmont Resident
02-18-2004, 08:37 AM
It would really help if you could find someone to show you around. Also keep an eye on the weather.
With little more than a breeze that 18' boat could restrict you. The lake can be unforgiving when the wind kicks up.
Go to a parking lot and practice backing your boat up into a spot. This will help when you actually do launch it. Put cones out. Use only your side mirrors, forget you have a rear view mirror, it's more of a distraction than anything else.
Good luck.

samiam
02-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Just had a thought...why not try one of the smaller lakes first.Winnisquam is about 12 miles long,lots of nice sandy rafting spots,no dangerous rocky areas and waves seldom reach 3' .Squam is beautiful,also.Several areas of ledge and rock,but no big scary boats and smaller waves.Welcome,have fun.

Jeff Furber
02-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Since you are a novice at this, Rattlesnake Gal is correct, go some where there is a large parking lot and practice backing up.
Then go to a large launch ramp and try to bring an expierenced boater with you,and practice launching you boat. This should be done very early in the moring when the launch ramp has low boat traffic.
Just use common sense and take listen to voices of experience.

Once you get to the launch ramp, have a list of things to do while you are ready to launch. Be sure all plugs are in, have a 50ft launch rope with you, be sure your engine is ready to start immediately after launch. Be sure your tow vehicle is rated for the weight of your boat and the emergency brakes work.
You should also go to the dealer that sold you the boat and have him "walk" you through starting and safety procedures.
Launching a boat can be very easy and be done safely, its just a matter of doing things correctly.
You don't have to learn to launch your boat some of the crowded Winnie ramps, if you can find a quiet ramp on some lake practice launching and recovering your boat. Practice makes perfect, good luck

Learned my Lessons
02-18-2004, 09:45 AM
You may find investing in a "personal trainer" of sorts very worthwhile. I paid a licensed captain last year to take me out on my boat and learned volumes from him. It was well worth the money.

Island Al
02-18-2004, 09:57 AM
When backing a trailer, grip the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hands in the direction that you want the trailer to go.

GWC...
02-18-2004, 02:19 PM
My belly is in the way - too much pasta...

Grip the top of the steering wheel and turn it in the OPPOSITE direction that you desire the end of the trailer to turn when backing.

Trailer turns left = steering wheel turns right (clockwise).

Trailer turns right = steering wheel turns left (counter-clockwise).

Or:

steering wheel turns clockwise = trailer turns left.

And:

steering wheel turns counter-clockwise = trailer turns right.

Sandy
02-18-2004, 06:21 PM
I have 2 other suggestions. We sat for a couple of weekends at the launch on the docks at Meredith and just watched other people launch. You can learn a lot about what to do but more important what not to do in launching your boat. And try launching at Newfound
lake the first few times. It is a smaller lake and has a very large launch and parking area. It is not anywhere near as busy as the launch areas on Winnie. Also I was terrified in our 18' Four Winns so we traded up to a 22 foot. That wasn't much better. Especially on weekends. There is so much wake turbulence that all you do is pound around. We finally moved up to a 25 footer and that was better. Have a great time no matter what lake you decide to go on and be safe.

Belmont Resident
02-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Island Al
There are some things you just have to learn on your own. Just like riding a bike for the first time. That is why I recommended a parking lot.
Anyone who can park a trailer between the yellow lines will have a basic understanding when it comes to dropping the boat in.
Just don't forget to have the trim up when putting boat in and again when pulling it out.

rates?
02-18-2004, 09:22 PM
May I ask what they charge for weekly rates that time of the year?

Jeff Furber
02-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Another excellent suggestion by Sandy, watching experienced people launch and recover boats of similar size helps, you can bet that there will be mistakes made by novices at most launch ramps. Generally, I have always tried to help someone that is having a major problem in launching or recovering, most times my advice is received well, a few people are embarrassed when someone offers help and once in a while the advice is not received to well.
Also the suggestion to hire help and take a few trips around the lake is well worth it.

DaPooh
02-19-2004, 11:52 PM
This is Da Pooh

I want to thank all of you who were so kind to give me all kinds of advices and suggestions. It is too late for me to go to Winniesquam because I already booked a week at Village fo Winnie. I will bring my boat and try it at the lake. Before this huge like, I will practice at smaller lake in April and May. By then, I hope I feel comfortable...My most fear is the pressure and the looks of other experienced but impatience boaters. Second fear are the rocks at Winnie

For the rate at Village of Winnie...I don't know, this is my time-share by points. thanks again guys/gals of the gigantic lake
Da Pooh

Aquadeziac
02-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Don't worry about the looks of the experienced and impatient, remember, THEY were beginners at one time too. I think you will find boaters a friendly lot as a whole. My feeling is that if I, as an experienced boater, can help an inexperienced boater, then I have made their time on the water a little brighter. And I never lose sight of the fact I was a beginner once too.