PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Market Grille

Pat
05-25-2006, 07:25 AM
We give this newcomer 4*'s. The food, atmosphere and people running it are great. They are located across from the hardware store on Railroad Ave.,Wolfeboro. Right now they offer breakfast and lunch and I think they will try 1 night/wk in summer maybe with live music. Beverages include beer and wine.

sawyers_point_girl
05-29-2006, 02:44 PM
We went to the Downtown Grille for lunch on Saturday....the food was excellent!! My husband had the "best mushroom burger he's ever had!!" We were very impressed with the food and the atmosphere but I think they need to work out some issues with their lack of organization (no clear "order here" or "pick up here" line so people were very confused and thus long lines...)

Pepper
05-30-2006, 11:33 PM
SPG - in a few weeks time, I'm sure it'll become smooth as silk! ;) We have a similar issue at the beginning of each season, until folks become familiar with our layout. We've tried posting signs - BIG ones - but no matter where we put 'em, folks can't seem to see 'em, so we eventually gave up. The first few busy weekends of the year it gets a bit chaotic, and we do our best to help direct traffic, but inevitably there will still be a few who are temporarily in the wrong area for a few minutes.

If their food is as wonderful as it sounds, the crowds will flock to their doors, and no matter how many signs they put up, there will be too many people in the way and no one will see the signs. ;) (even if they hang the signs from the ceiling, they still won't get seen, trust me!)

Meanwhile, we wish them the very best of luck, and a wonderful first season!!!!!!!!! :D

Island Girl
05-31-2006, 06:25 AM
I went there last Friday with DBA. Very cordial staff, great food. The decor is also terrific. Of course the location is wonderful for boaters; just dock and walk!

IG

Smitty1
07-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Today we went to Downtown Market Grille in Wolfeboro for the second time.

Previously we had breakfast wraps that were amazing. Today we all had panini sandwiches for lunch and they were all very very good. (3 adults and 4 children-all were happy)

This is our new go to dining spot for breakfast and lunch in Wolfeboro.

Especially after a very bad experience at the Wolfeboro Diner 2 weeks ago.

Smitty

Fink2
07-27-2008, 10:03 PM
My wife and I each tried the prime rib panini sandwiches. Not cheap, but outstanding!

RI Swamp Yankee
07-28-2008, 01:21 PM
My wife and I had lunch there last February as we passed through Wolfeboro. Just after 1pm and it seemed quite busy with what seemed to be locals. I had their version of a Cubano and enjoyed it. Forgot what my wife had but it was big enough that I had half for part of my lunch the next day. We decided it was on the "short list" of places for lunch while in Wolfeboro in the winter.

http://www.downtownmarketgrille.com/

Lakepilot
10-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Had breakfast there this morning. It was very busy, although it is a Saturday morning during leaf peeper season. Many of the people waiting mentioned it was their first time there. Both the wife and I had hash and eggs. Hers' was prepared in a wrap and mine was not. Both were excellent. :)

secondcurve
10-04-2008, 10:28 AM
I ate breakfast there this year and it was excellent. Clearly, the owners are good business people. Even the web site is outstanding. It is good to see a nice alternative in Wolfeboro.

Orion
10-04-2008, 10:32 AM
....That place is our best kept secret. Great food, great people, and I won't even mention their New England clam chowder (which is the best I've ever had - though only avail on Fridays).

BrownstoneNorth
10-14-2008, 12:34 PM
....That place is our best kept secret. Great food, great people, and I won't even mention their New England clam chowder (which is the best I've ever had - though only avail on Fridays).

There was a Closed sign on the Downtown Grille and workmen inside when my husband and I walked by the other day; we assumed it was just some renovation or repair going on, but today I was taken aback to see a listing for the restaurant in the latest "Homes and Land" real estate brochure and then looked it up on the internet. Here's the listing, and I might add doesn't seem like a very nice way to treat the staff:

http://www.spencerhughes.com/proddir/prod/83/25150?mls=2740334

11 Railroad Ave, Wolfeboro, NH 03894

DO NOT DISCUSS THIS SALE WITH ANY GRILLE STAFF Lively upscale breakfast and lunch bistro in charming,Wolfeboro NH. Unique location, allows customers to come by sidewalk, bicycle, car or boat. SeatS over 35 patrons at table or bar as well as take out. This is a growing business, strong year round cash flow, Buyers must be pre qualified per owners.
MLS # 2740334 offered at $159,000.

This property is listed by Bob Crossley of Prudential Spencer-Hughes R E. IDX data last updated on 10/14/08.

Island Girl
10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
As I read the ad, I thought they meant that the staff are not the right people to get information about the property from... and that staff are working, not taking time to talk about their opinions on the sale. From your comment I think you are thinking they don't want the staff to know and are keeping from them.

Just goes to show we all read different things into the same words!!! In any case... I loved their food.

IG

BrownstoneNorth
10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
It was putting that line in all caps in the listing that got me.

I've seen too many times restaurants going out of business with no advance notice to the staff, and this is not a great economy to find oneself suddenly jobless. One time back home we arrived at a restaurant where we had dinner reservations to discover it boarded up and a bunch of people who turned out to be waiters and other staff milling around outside because they'd only just discovered it, too.

BTW, I have no clue as to what the Downtown Grille will be, e.g., a restaurant under new management, a store, or whatever.

Waterbaby
10-14-2008, 08:47 PM
As I read the ad, I thought they meant that the staff are not the right people to get information about the property from... and that staff are working, not taking time to talk about their opinions on the sale. From your comment I think you are thinking they don't want the staff to know and are keeping from them.

Just goes to show we all read different things into the same words!!! In any case... I loved their food.

IG

Hey IG, good to see you! My take on the listing is that the internal listing (at Spencer Hughes) had that on it, that the Realtors at S-H shouldn't be talking to any Grille staff who called to inquire about what was/is going on, and that somehow that internal instruction made it onto their website............. this is just from my own experience as a Realtor, we always had "internal showing instructions" on listings................nothing top secret, just things like what the code on the key tag was, or where the owner hid the key, or "don't talk to the tenants" or that type of thing.

NHDOLFAN
10-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Being from the area, you hear rumors. I had heard that the Grille was going to expand as they were suppose to purchase the Sun glass hut. I would hate for the Grille to close as I love the Black Forest Ham panini.

KPW
10-17-2008, 05:38 AM
Are you sure the listing is for Downtown Grille? They placed their usual order for ground beef on Wednesday - 10/15.

Skipper of the Sea Que
10-17-2008, 06:12 AM

IG

IG makes such a good point and this is a great example.

My first thought was that there were some secrets (skeletons in the closet) that the owner did not want revealed by the staff. Or maybe there were a few disgruntled workers that would maliciously bad mouth the place to perspective buyers, :devil: It sure wouldn't be a secret from the employees who could easily pick up the listing booklet or who read this here Winnie forum.

I did think it was a peculiar statement to make in an ad and figured there must be a story behind that warning.

IMO Waterbaby's explanation does seem to make the most sense to me but I never would have thought of it.

Wonder how many meanings can we come up with for, "Have a great day" :laugh: (don't answer that - just have a great day)

BrownstoneNorth
10-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Are you sure the listing is for Downtown Grille? They placed their usual order for ground beef on Wednesday - 10/15.

Which would explain why they're still ordering supplies.

There's actually a YouTube ad for the restaurant -- note the upload date, September 19th:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3AaYgtLXr8

Newbiesaukee
06-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Took the boat to Wolfeboro today ( only boat at dock!!). Anyway, very good breakfast at the Downtown Market Grille. Has it been sold? What is the story?

camp guy
06-02-2009, 02:37 PM
The Grille is still listed for sale with Prudential Spencer Hughes Real Estate in Wolfeboro, but, in the mean time, is doing well. The crew does a great job, the food is good, and the price is fair. For breakfast or lunch it is hard to beat the Grille.

Being accessible by boat is very helpful.

patman
06-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Ate lunch there a few days ago, I had a soup/sandwich combo with onion soup and chicken salad. Very tasty, I think it was around $7 or so. The tables are kinda tight, but the staff was extremely friendly and helpful for us first-timers.

LakesRegionSpirit
07-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Stopped in to the Grille today and discovered they offer Gluten Free versions of all their sandwich's (Brown Rice wraps). Thank you! My wife and I are both Gluten Intolerant.