PDA

View Full Version : New Menu Items at Waldo Pepper's

Just Sold
04-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Dropped in for lunch at WP's and to say hi to Waldo and Pepper today.

I got a very nice supprise. They have added some new items to the menu. In particular they have added fried clams and boy were they delicious:liplick: . Lightly battered and fried to a nice crispy brown outside and tender on the inside. I did not even need the tarter sauce. Fresh clams do make a difference. I understand Waldo tried over 20 batters before he found the right one and he did find it IMHO. I just LOVE FC's

Between this and the Lobster Roll I am in heaven! Can't wait to try some of the other items but I was so distracted with the calms I forget what they were.:rolleye2:

Merrymeeting
04-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Ok, now you've done it. I've been feeling increasingly guilty about never visiting Pepper's. But I've never been a big lobster roll fan (:eek: heresy I know!)

But, fried clams?!!! Pepper here I come!

Lakegeezer
04-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Pepper makes a wicked good steak sandwich too!! :liplick:

Weirs guy
04-27-2006, 12:02 PM
And good pulled pork...

Hermit Cover
04-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Please don't forget the Chicken Salad!!!! If you're going to Waldo Pepper's for the first time..(I can't believe you haven't been there yet..) be careful going into the parking lot...some guy tried to land a plane there and missed!

Newbiesaukee
04-27-2006, 03:59 PM
And ribs....mmmmmm ( the Webmaster said I had to lengthen my reply to 10 characters, so I did). Don't forget the cole slaw..not as glamorous but just as good.

Alton Bay Bob
04-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Last weekend I went to old lake place.. finished work early. After all the rave reviews and the help of GPS I found Waldo Peppers. I enjoyed the best lobster roll I have ever had. Embarrassed that I had not been there before. I feel that the greatest accomplishment of this web site is that it introduced an old Alton Bay guy to Waldo Peppers... I can't wait to bring my mom (the self-proclaimed goddess of lobster rolls) to Peppers this summer. Will post her reaction......

RamJet
04-28-2006, 06:37 PM
My family visited WP’s. Lots of interesting friendly conversation.

* Fried claims were some of the best I’ve ever had. Juicy fresh clams cooked just right. Fried and cole slaw was very good.
* Steak and cheese sub was also great. Lean beef, cooked like a Philly cheese steak.
* Lobster roll was ok. Lots of lobster on a roll with melted butter.

We’ll definitely be back.

ACutAbove
04-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Went there for dinner tonite with the wife.. She really enjoyed the single stuffed lobster roll and I had the Fried clams. Both were excellent!!! Im happy to say. I like the fact that Pepper comes over to ask if everything was okay. It not very often a owner will do that big rest. or small. And as a customer its good to know they care enough about us to do that.
Thanks and the wife and I will be back again....

RI Swamp Yankee
04-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Everything is good :liplick: I only get up that way a couple of times a year. So many good choices, so few days. :o ... and now fried clams ....

tomboymom
05-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Can someone give me directions to Peppers...also hours of operation? Can't wait to try it!

mcdude
05-04-2006, 09:27 AM
TomboyMom: Check out the website (http://www.waldopeppers.com/intro.htm).
You won't be disappointed!:liplick:
http://www.waldopeppers.com/images/wp.gif

tomboymom
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks, McD. I'm not too familiar with The Weirs area...can we walk from the docks?

Weirs guy
05-04-2006, 11:15 AM
You sure can walk from the docks tomboymom. Head down the boardwalk towards the public beach, take a left across the channel bridge, then a right towards the texaco gas station (carefull crossing rt.3, there is a crosswalk at the other end of the brige thru a traffic island). Waldo's is "right" across the street from the texaco and handy landing general store. Can't miss it, theres a plane on the roof!

JL Girl
05-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I had started a thread on Pepper's People but thought I'd put my next message on this one. Mom and I were in Waldo Pepper's Saturday - early dinner - and had lobster rolls (we are working our way through Pepper's menu!) - that was the best lobster roll I have ever eaten, bar none! Not just a dollop of lobster and filler like most others, this was a roll that was filled with good pure lobster. The roll was grilled (outstanding) and the combo was melt in your mouth, topped off by some of those awesome French fries and cole slaw - mmmm, mmmm! Besides being so warm and personable, that Pepper is smart too...I coudn't believe she remembered my name from the time before. There's a bunch of different friends and family we're going to drag to Pepper's this summer - and see if they come away like we do - smiles on our faces, tummies filled to the max!

Pepper
05-07-2006, 11:11 PM
I've been so busy feeding folks the past few weeks, that I haven't had much time to come here and play with all my friends! So ...

JustSold - you've started a stampede! We've been bombarded by a steady stream of clam lovers! Unfortunately, we sell out quickly, as they are fresh clams, and we're still trying to gauge how much to have delivered! :eek: The worst possible thing happened as a result - last weekend some nice folks who read this forum came in for clams - a total of four people in their party ordered them. Well, apparently two of those orders were considerable overcooked (we're still training new staff) and I was unable to provide a replacement, as we had none left. :( I did refund their expenses, but I sure hope they'll come back again and give us another try.

Merrymeeting - I'm looking forward to your visit. Hopefully we'll have time to chat, since our meeting at last year's forum-fest-after-party was so brief.

R.I. Swamp Yankee - very much looking forward to seeing you again! If I don't recognize you right off - give me a nudge, wouldya? It gets so crazy in there sometimes, I recognize repeat faces, but can't always connect the name to the face. :o

Weirs Guy - I'm wracking my brains trying to put a face to your screenname. It's obvious by your posts that you're familiar with most of my menu, so I must see you fairly often. Would you please reveal yourself to me next time you visit, so I'm not laying awake at night trying to put a face to your screen name? I'm fairly certain you've probably introduced yourself using your screenname before, but my advancing age is creeping up on me, and I'm not having any luck recalling. :confused:

McDude - I am seriously overdue for a hug from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JLGirl - you are just soooooo easy to remember! Between the delightful personality you possess, and the loving, caring way you treat your mother - well ... you're unforgetable. ;)

ACutAbove - please do introduce yourself next time your in! I love meeting new friends from this forum.

RamRod - So nice to see you and your ever-expanding family so many times! Really glad you were able to bring the dogs with you today, but brokenhearted that I wasn't able to take the time to come out and scratch their ears. Next time, hopefully it'll be a bit quieter, and I'll give them both a double dose of lovin'.

AltonBayBob - it was really nice to meet you, and I'm so glad you found your way to our side of the lake. Very much looking forward to seeing you again.

Newbie - I laughed out loud when I read your post! Looking forward to seeing you and Mrs. many times over the summer.

HermitCover - are you still stuck down south, or is this warmer weather finally here because you dragged it north with you??? :laugh:

LakeGeezer - all the credit belongs to Waldo! I may be from Philadelphia, home of the Cheesesteak, but my Darling Waldo is the man in charge of all the wonderful stuff that comes out of that kitchen. It was great to see you and Mrs. Geezer, and what a treat for me to be able to chat with you so much during your recent visit!

DRH, QL, IG and IS - thanks so much for the hugs last weekend, and for understanding that I was losing my mind trying to keep up! I love you guys!!!!!

Special note to IG - the event we spoke about will take place just before Memorial Day. Any chance we can arrange a photo sometime before then? Email me at your leisure, and let me know if you'll be in the neighborhood. If not, I'll figure something out. The fellow with the striped pole is ready whenever.

riverat
05-08-2006, 05:47 AM
It's OK Pepper we understand and appreciate the refund although it wasn't your fault. From the post I read about WP I know that this was a fluke and probably won't happen again but as they say "stuff happens" or something like that.:) Your concern for our satisfaction far outweighs the disappointment of the meal. We will come back again, I need to have one (maybe two) of those Lobster rolls I keep hearing about:D

You did'nt have to tell everybody, I was going to clam up;) but I guess that goes to show how honest and special you are,

thanks

Island Girl
05-08-2006, 07:11 AM
I will come over next weekend... time for a lobster roll. I blew the engine in my boat last weekend.. the new one should be in for this weekend... else I will come via jetski, :coolsm: weather permitting. I will take your pictures then... I am thinking Saturday morning or Friday afternoon.

IG

Pepper
05-08-2006, 07:15 AM
...You did'nt have to tell everybody, I was going to clam up;) ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That line just had me laughing so hard I think I scared the dog! Thank heavens I wasn't sipping my coffee when I read it! :D

I'm really glad you folks brought the issue to my attention. It's so important to know when something's gone wrong - otherwise we never know we have a problem that needs fixing! Thank you! Looking forward to seeing you again!

Pepper
05-08-2006, 07:19 AM
I will come over next weekend... time for a lobster roll. I blew the engine in my boat last weekend.. the new one should be in for this weekend... else I will come via jetski, :coolsm: weather permitting. I will take your pictures then... I am thinking Saturday morning or Friday afternoon.

IG

OUCH! Sorry to hear about your motor! :(

Friday or Saturday works fine for me - see you then! :D

BBS2
05-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Pepper...
BBS1 and I came to Waldo's last summer and are looking forward to coming again this spring. Clams sound appealing to BBS1. Since I'm veg though, is there anything besides the peppers and mushroom thing for folks like me? :liplick:

Pepper
05-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Pepper...
BBS1 and I came to Waldo's last summer and are looking forward to coming again this spring. Clams sound appealing to BBS1. Since I'm veg though, is there anything besides the peppers and mushroom thing for folks like me? :liplick:

Sure! Let's see ...

Eggplant Parmesan
Cheese Pizza
Cropduster Pizza - (Onion, Peppers, Mushroom, Broccoli and Tomato)
Greek Pizza - (Onion, Olive, Spinach, Tomato and Feta)
Caesar Salad
Tossed Salad
Grilled Veggie Sub
Cold Veggie Sub
Pepper Poppers
Mozzarella Sticks
Fries with or without cheese
Onion Rings
Cole Slaw

So, unless you are strict Vegan, we have a fair number of items which could accommodate you. ;) Hope this helps!

mcdude
05-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Pepper Poppers

Dare I ask? What is a Pepper Popper? http://fool.exler.ru/sm/leb.gif

Skipper of the Sea Que
05-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Dare I ask? What is a Pepper Popper? http://fool.exler.ru/sm/leb.gif

Do you dare ask? You McDid ask!!

They are Jalapeño Poppers:

A half of a jalapeño pepper with cream cheese based filling, breaded and deep fried to a golden brown. :liplick:
If I don't have that right I'm sure Pepper will correct me

I've enjoyed Pepper's Poppers more than once.

I scoped out Waldo Peppers several times before I introduced myself to Pepper. I wanted to be like the Phantom Gourmet and see how things were when I was "unknown". There was a difference. Not with the food though. The portions and quality were just as good before and after I met Pepper. The difference now is the HUGS. But when it's too busy there's no time for hugs (or maybe she doesn't want us to be seen like that by her customers :laugh: )

The thread title is, New Menu Items. Does anyone want to vote on new items they would like to see on the menu?
I'd love some Falafel. Can't find any good fresh falafel around the lake.

BBS2
05-08-2006, 10:59 AM
You have my vote!!:rolleye2:

spnr bug
05-09-2006, 05:52 AM
Pepper,
My fishing partner and I will be up to the lake for two weeks starting Memorial
day weekend. We'll be by for a great Waldo Pepper's meal. See you then. Oh by the way, since we were formally introduced last year, this year I expect a hug not a hand shake.:emb:
Spnr Bug.

Merrymeeting
05-09-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm on a business trip in China right now. Just returned from a dinner where we were served sea urchins with the spikes still moving, and fish sliced in the middle while the head was still breathing and tail still moving. YUM!!!!!

Pepper's menu is looking REAL good right now! :eek2:

Hermit Cover
05-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Wow, I think Merrymeeting has started something...all the fresh seafood stores will be selling "sea urchins with the spines still moving...rolls" surely not to be confused with your own world-class Lobsta Rolls.

I once saw what I thought was a sea urchin with spines moving ....crossing old Route 66 on a hot windy day somewhere near Tucumcari, New Mexico.....
back in '71. Seems like it was just yesterday.....

Pepper
05-11-2006, 08:31 AM
...They are Jalapeño Poppers:

A half of a jalapeño pepper with cream cheese based filling, breaded and deep fried to a golden brown. :liplick:

100% Correct! Yummy!

...I'd love some Falafel. Can't find any good fresh falafel around the lake.

When I lived in Philadelphia there was a vendor just outside my office door - he served the world's most divine Falafel Pockets! Of the many foods I miss from home, that one's near the top of the list! Hmmmmmmmmm ... now you've got me thinking ...

Oh by the way, since we were formally introduced last year, this year I expect a hug not a hand shake.
Spnr Bug.

But OF COURSE!!!!! :D and a really big one, too!

Just returned from a dinner where we were served sea urchins with the spikes still moving, and fish sliced in the middle while the head was still breathing and tail still moving

:eek: Did you EAT it? (I just looked, and there's no emoticon that even remotely represents what I would have felt if I were forced to consume such a thing!)

I once saw what I thought was a sea urchin with spines moving ....crossing old Route 66 on a hot windy day somewhere near Tucumcari, New Mexico.....
back in '71. Seems like it was just yesterday.....

One year - late November I believe it was - I saw something similar! It was making it's way across Rt. 140 in Belmont, having just consumed a large quantity of fermented fallen apples in the nearby orchard. Suffice it to say the poor dear was struggling mightily, I was laughing so hard I had to pull off the road! :laugh:

jkjoshuatree
05-11-2006, 11:22 AM
I was working in a restaurant just yesterday and falafel was on the menu. Never thought to ask what it was. What is it?

Mr. V
05-11-2006, 11:25 AM
When I lived in Philadelphia there was a vendor just outside my office door - he served the world's most divine Falafel Pockets! Of the many foods I miss from home, that one's near the top of the list! Hmmmmmmmmm ... now you've got me thinking ...

Speaking of Philadelphia food, I love your cheesesteak bombs, and will pass on the following "suggestion" for the good of the order.

For me, the ultimate Philadelphia sidewalk vendor fast-food was the soft pretzel (with mustard, of course).

The pretzels came in sheets, attached to each other, and were...how can I say this?..."to die for."

I wonder if it would be possible to replicate this Delight in the Lakes Region?

But please, don't replicate the scurrilous, degenerate sidewalk vendors: authenticity only goes so far.

roll dem bones

RI Swamp Yankee
05-11-2006, 11:32 AM
When my food starts moving ..:eek: .. so do I, rapidly away.

Just Sold
05-11-2006, 08:53 PM
To quote Merrymeeting: "I'm on a business trip in China right now. Just returned from a dinner where we were served sea urchins with the spikes still moving, and fish sliced in the middle while the head was still breathing and tail still moving. YUM!!!!!"

Mrs. JS and I do want to know if you consumed the Sea Urchins and fish. I am adventurous but I am not sure that I would have those items on my list of food delicacies. If I had the Sea Urchin I would have to find a new place to sleep until I my breath cleared. :eek:

Now Waldo's fried calms and my homemade escargo on the other hand are awesome.:liplick:

Merrymeeting
05-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Well I will confess to taking one small bite of the urchin, there is not enough money in the world to get me to eat raw, still moving fish. The urchin was also not something I would normally touch but as it was offered to me in a very formal setting with great enthusiasm. It would have been a major faux paux for me to decline. http://www.boatered.com/forum/images/yuck_125.gif (javascript:insertsmilie('[:-yuck]');)

Thankfully I had a beer nearby to quickly wash it down. I now understand why George Bush Sr had that unfortunate incident with the Japanese Prime Minister!

Can't wait to get back and eat some "real" food, especially Pepper's!

Pepper
05-11-2006, 10:25 PM
I was working in a restaurant just yesterday and falafel was on the menu. Never thought to ask what it was. What is it?

Falafel is a delightful treat made primarily from Garbanzo Beans (also known as Chick Peas) which are ground and blended with wheat flour and other grains, sometimes with other beans added, and always with lots of wonderful seasoning. It's served fried or baked - sometimes in flat patties, other times in small balls similar to meatballs but tinier. It can be a side-dish, an entree, or a sandwich component! It's packed with protein and bursting with aroma and flavor if it's done right. :liplick:

For me, the ultimate Philadelphia sidewalk vendor fast-food was the soft pretzel (with mustard, of course)...

Aaaaahhhhhh - the very top of the list of foods I miss from Philadelphia: A steamy-warm Federal Street Pretzel with Keller's Mustard on top! There was a time in my life where I consumed one of these remarkable pretzels at precisely 10:00AM every Monday through Friday!

A recent visit to Philadelphia over New Years weekend found me searching in vain for a vendor who still serves them warm! Apparently the good vendors only work during the week, and leave the hacks to take over on the weekends. Alas, my desire for the perfect pretzel remained unsatisfied. :(

If there was a way to get the Federal Street Pretzel Factory to ship some frozen, par-baked pretzels to me, along with a few cases of Keller's Mustard - well let's just say they'd be a new item on the menu at Waldos!

jkjoshuatree
05-12-2006, 08:44 AM
...thanks. I'll have to try falafel.

So you're from Philly. I was there for the first time last year to see a concert and we had a great time. I LOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE that city!!!! We can't wait to go back. It reminds me of Boston (where I'm from) and had so many cool things to see and do.

Okay Pepper, now for the real reason I'm writing to you. I have to apologize profusely...I've had a place at Winnipesaukee for over thirty years and I've never been to your place...I'll wait while you (and the people reading this) take a few minutes to recover from what I just wrote...

...okay, I'm back. I always thought it was just a convienence store. Not until joining Winnipesaukee.com did I realize it was a restaurant (and obviously a very good one according to the peeps on here!).

But I promise I'll stop by this summer (more than once) and introduce myself.

Pepper
05-12-2006, 11:21 PM
jkjoshuatree - certainly no need to apologize! We've only been there for a little over six years ourselves! Prior to our occupying the building, it was indeed a convenience store for many many years. Before that it was a gift store.

Looking forward to meeting you over the summer. :)

RI Swamp Yankee
05-13-2006, 07:16 PM
.. Prior to our occupying the building, it was indeed a convenience store for many many years. Before that it was a gift store.

And then someone landed a airplane on the roof and it hasn't been the same since. :liplick: :laugh:

jetskier
05-29-2006, 03:25 PM
We stopped in yesterday for a lobster roll and got to introduce ourselves to Pepper. The food was great, as was the conversation. We collectively agreed that the 600 ft no wake zone has caused everyone to calm down a bit and take it a bit more easy. Much nicer atmosphere when we all agree to relax a bit.:D

Anyhow, nice to finally meet Pepper.

Best Regards,
Jetskier

Pepper
05-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Jetskier, it was so nice to finally meet you and your lovely family! I thoroughly enjoyed our chat, and hope we'll get to chat again sometime!

Indeed, the "mood of the weekend" seemed to be so much more relaxed and less frenzied than most holiday weekends! It truly seemed as though folks were kicking back and relaxing this weekend, and enjoying all the wonder and beauty the lakes region has to offer. :look:

Whatever the cause, it sure was nice to see everyone smiling and happy and relaxed! :D :D :D

Pepper
06-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Goodsk8s - I remember. ;) I'll be happy to introduce him at the SO when the time comes - and I'll be jealous when he ends up doing my old job. :)

And yup, I know about the "thaw and serve" from Amoroso's, but it's cost prohibitive, and until they put a factory in Boston, I'll be sticking with Quinzani's fresh! :D

See you in August, if not before!

scott s
06-05-2006, 10:21 PM
I am SOOOOO Happy that you added Fried Clams! How about a combo plate of a lobster roll and clams????

That would be the ultimate take out for the boat!

Best Regards,

Scott S
Alton

Pepper
06-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Scott S - Easy to do! You can order the lobster roll, or the lobster roll with fries and slaw, and simply add a pint of clams! ;) If you're really feeling adventurous, you can make a combo of haddock, clams, lobster roll, and scallops (when available)!:look: :liplick: