PDA

View Full Version : Scam Reply To A Want Ad

NightWing
04-25-2006, 08:45 AM
I just received the following response to a Want Ad posting I have in that section of this board. It is a typical scam that is spread through mail media. Local Police Departments warn people to not get sucked in to the promise of get rich quick.

It is a shame that this type of activity has infiltrated this website. I am sure that many other ad posters received the same message.

"Dearest One.
Good day.
Compliment of the Season!!
My name is Cheela Olivier,18 years from Sierra Leone. My father and I escaped from our country at the heat of the civil war after loosing my mother and two of my senior brothers in the war.

As a result of the political instability in my country even after the war, my father established his cocoa and coffee export business in Abidjan, Ivory Coast. He was in Buake, a northern city to negotiate for the purchase of a cocoa plantation when he was shot and killed by the rebel troupes fighting to take over the government of the country on the 22nd September, 2002.

The death of my father has now made me an orphan and thereby exposing me to danger. Before the unfortunate death, my late father had in his personal account with a bank here the sum of Eight Million United States Dollars. As a result of the present insecurity of lives and property in this country, I wish request that you assisted me use your account in your country to transfer the balance of my father's account.
Again to assist me with a letter of invitation that will make me get a visa to your country for residence in order for me to continue my education and to invest the fund in a viable business venture. If you are will to assist me, please let me know immediately .

Please note that I can only offer you 10% of the total money as compensation for your noble assistance. I am interested in any profitable commercial venture which you consider very good in your country and you would also get a school for me,so that I can finish my education.

I am hoping to hear your urgent response so that I can stop look for another foreign partner. You can contact me with this email address.(cheela_olivier5@yahoo.fr)
Thank you and may God blss you and your dear family.
Cheela Olivier"

webmaster
04-25-2006, 09:46 AM
The price of popularity. Some trouble makers have used the reply feature of the classified ads to send the same kind of nonsense that fills our email boxes every day. Others have complained to me about it but there is really nothing I can do about the content of ad replies. If it looks suspicious you should just delete and ignore it.

Keep in mind that those replies are completely blind. They do not have your email address and you won't get any additional spam from posting an ad UNLESS you put your email address in the body of your ad which is a BIG no no. Email addresses that appear on web pages (like ads and forum posts) are routinely harvested for spam. Email addresses are never revealed on this site unless you put them in the body of a message or ad.

Another recent problem is that the classifieds are being flooded with ad-placer and other offensive ads from all over the world. Those ads sometimes outnumber real ads by 2 to 1. You never see them because I now screen every ad before they appear. This does cause a delay in posting but allows me to keep the classifieds clear of the garbage.

dpg
05-05-2006, 05:37 AM
Not for nothing but if someone is dumb enough to respond to such an ad they deserve what they have coming.:D