PDA

View Full Version : Photo Post error message......?

Outlaw
03-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi Don -

Trying to post some pictures (5 in total, each approx. 1.8MB) and I am getting the message below. I probably only have a total of 6 or 7 pictures posted before. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

<TABLE class="" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat align=left colSpan=2>Winnipesaukee PhotoPost Gallery Message </TD></TR><TR><TD class=panelsurround vAlign=center align=middle height=300>You are allowed a maximum of 4194304 bytes of diskspace. If you would like to upload more images, please delete some of your older images and/or optimize your images using lower quality jpg settings before uploading. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ApS
03-30-2006, 06:47 AM
This thread may have the answer:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23606#post23606

(Sez to ask Don for an upgrading).

:)

Merrymeeting
03-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Outlaw,

A megabyte is one million bytes (1,048,576 actually). So, with 5 1.8Mb pictures, you are trying to post 9 million bytes of information, not counting what you may have aleady posted.

With that size, I'm guessing you are trying to post full-size, full-resolution images from a large mega-pixel camera. While that level of resolution is great for printing pictures and blown-up photos, that level of resolution is not needed for websites and typical computer monitors. What you need to do is to somehow reduce the size of the pictures with Photoshop or perhaps the software that came with your camera.

Usually there will be a "Save for Web" option, or something like that. Doing this will usually reduce your 1.8Mb picture to 300-500 kilo-bytes (thousands of bytes). This will allow you to post here and all of us to enjoy the photos.

I'd be happy to help you do this if you contact me offline.

Outlaw
03-31-2006, 02:20 AM
Outlaw,

A megabyte is one million bytes (1,048,576 actually). So, with 5 1.8Mb pictures,
Usually there will be a "Save for Web" option, or something like that. Doing this will usually reduce your 1.8Mb picture to 300-500 kilo-bytes (thousands of bytes). This will allow you to post here and all of us to enjoy the photos.

I'd be happy to help you do this if you contact me offline.
Thank you Merrymeeting - the save for web method of compression seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the tip, this is a keeper. I reduced them all from about 1.8MB to 44kb.

Thanks again !

Mee-n-Mac
03-31-2006, 03:32 AM
This is a good opportunity to bring up some prior good info re: the same issue.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2760

I say:
- Save original picture (on your PC) in high resolution (original size) and low compression
- Resize (reduce the number of pixels) first then
- Compress (save for web) as needed to get size down while maintaining minimum desired quality