PDA

View Full Version : to get along better...

Dave R
03-15-2006, 12:11 PM
If you are in a small boat and concerned with your safety, what can I do to make you feel safer?Beyond what the law requires, I try to make obvious course adjustments at best; and wave at least, so that you will know I see you, but is there anything else I can do? Maybe if more people made it clear that they see you, there would be less fear.

upthesaukee
03-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Great ideas, Dave. I think that in a "go fast" world, regardless of the capabilities of your boat speedwise (go fast or not), we tend, as a society, to exhibit a need to be the first to get there (whether we are in a car, boat, on a bicycle, heading to the door or elevator, etc.) . Simple courtesy such as altering a course, giving a friendly wave, reduce speed, make sure our wake(s) are not excessive, etc. can go a long way to making everyone's boating experience better.

Nice first step, Dave!:)

BroadHopper
03-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Aclnowledging that you see the other watercraft and vice versa is just plain common sense. Then give the other person a wide berth and adhere to right-of-way rule can make a big difference. Not only in boating, but biking, motoring etc. I've been on this lake for 40 years and it is in the past 20 years, that I had to drive defensively. Since the boater's safety course became mandatory, I notice it has been easier and safer to cruise the lake. Let's hope that everyone 'get on the bandwagon' and do their part in making the lake safe and enjoyable. :D

HotDog
03-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Simple courtesy such as altering a course, giving a friendly wave, reduce speed, make sure our wake(s) are not excessive, etc. can go a long way to making everyone's boating experience better.

Aright i agree with Dave's suggesting

upthesaukee,
big boats can't control the wake size. Unless they go headway speed or a little over. so what are you thinking all the big boats go real slow. that isn't going to happen. if you have a 37 ft boat your wake is going to be bigger then a 22 ft boat. You really can't control your wake size. but you can control your speed w/out a speed limit. ALL it takes is for you to think of someone but yourself.

Lakegeezer
03-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Good thread!

Large boats:
1) if you are the stand-off boat, make a small course correction to indicate that you acknowledge your role in the passing and will (or are) taking action.
2) if you are in a big boat and passage will be just over 150', do not slow down if it will create more wake
3) if you have a lot of wake and are passing a small boat, go more than 150 feet from the craft if you can - even if stand-on boat
4) if its a sailboat, go behind rather than in front of the craft
5) if you can go faster and avoid a passage issue all together, throttle up

Small boats
1) if you are in a busy channel, keep up your speed so that you don't make the other boats slow down to maximum wake.
2) if you are stand-off boat, change your course early, so the distance is more than 150 feet. Don't make the bigger-boat change course.
3) if you see a bunch of boats coming, alter your course to a less traveled lane to help you avoid the wake
4) if you can predict a narrow passage where both boats may have to slow down to no-wake speed, slow down or stop - let the other boat through (the graveyard is a good place to practice this)

Large boats should be aware of their wake. Small boats should be aware that it is difficult (and expensive) to bring a large boat off plane and back up again.

In general - anticipate what the other boat will have to do - and try to avoid impacting the other - if possible.

Finally - my guideline - and while some others agree, keep in mind that it is still against the law. If both boats are about the same size, and there is less than 150 feet passage in a narrows, both boats may agree to pass at speed without slowing down. Agreement is acknowledged by neither slowing down, and altering course to maximize the passage distance. If one boat starts to slow down - the other must too. Keep an eye out for the water smokies. :look:

budman
03-16-2006, 08:13 AM
lakegeezer, I may be mistaken, but 150" is 150" and the law requires both boats to slow to headway speed. I don't believe size has anything to do with it. It seem every time I'm in the gravyard and another boat enters it I'm the only one to go headway speed. As a mater of fact, the person driving the other boat usually looks at me like "what are you doing?" If you can't afford to slow your big boat down for safty, maybe you should sell it, and get a boat you can afford.

budman

Dave R
03-16-2006, 09:38 AM
lakegeezer, I may be mistaken, but 150" is 150" and the law requires both boats to slow to headway speed. I don't believe size has anything to do with it. It seem every time I'm in the gravyard and another boat enters it I'm the only one to go headway speed. As a mater of fact, the person driving the other boat usually looks at me like "what are you doing?" If you can't afford to slow your big boat down for safty, maybe you should sell it, and get a boat you can afford.

budman

In this situation:

If I am in the other boat and you slow down to a no wake speed, I will slow down to a no wake speed too, and without hard feelings. If you do not slow down, I may not either. If I slow down and you do not slow down, I will have no hard feelings (boating is too much fun to get worked up about). If I choose not to slow down, It will be obvious at that point that we are both comfortable with being within 150' of each other on plane, regardless of the law, and we will probably share a friendly "knowing" wave as we pass.

jrc
03-16-2006, 09:55 AM
This thread has already brought out some things. Acknowleging that you see the other boats is important, especially if you are the burdened boat. The NH laws don't say it but I've read that you should make your course correction obvious and visible to the stand-on boat.

I've ridden with people who don't do this. They would aim directly at the stand-on boat, saying that they would be gone by the time we got there. This usually works but what if the boat slows? I try to make an obvious turn and aim behind the boat.

Lakegeezer, a lot of good ideas. But I think you're sending the wrong message on larger boats using the fuel costs of planing as an excuse to burden smaller boats. And your definately sending the wrong message on intentionally breaking the law in your final guideline.

SIKSUKR
03-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Being that my boat is only 10 feet long,I also drive defensively and yield to the other boat even if I'm the stand-on vessal.I will aim behind the boat way in advance and make it very clear what my intentions are.Even with me being the stand-on boat,I don't know if the other boat sees me or not and I'm not going to end like that boat that was hit by the coast guard.

upthesaukee
03-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Aright i agree with Dave's suggesting

upthesaukee,
big boats can't control the wake size. Unless they go headway speed or a little over. so what are you thinking all the big boats go real slow. that isn't going to happen. if you have a 37 ft boat your wake is going to be bigger then a 22 ft boat. You really can't control your wake size. but you can control your speed w/out a speed limit. ALL it takes is for you to think of someone but yourself.

I have a 19 ft bowrider and it handles rougher water ok. I don't have a problem with large boats. It's the boaters who don't know how to trim their boat so that they are not riding bow high and throwing an enormous wake, usually in fairly close proximity to another boat. Someone else said it can be expensive to bring a big boat up and down of plane, and I undertand that. It's just the people who don't seem to know how to trim their boat, and throw a wake much larger than required. Not only does it take a little away from the boating experience at that time, but also doesn't help nearby shore lines. That was the only reason I mentioned the wakes.

cowisl
03-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Everyone remember to look before you turn

ApS
03-17-2006, 06:38 AM
I was truly bewildered at this response when I posted this kayak photo here three years ago. At the time, it seemed elitist:

"This is just what we need to add to the mix of vessels on the lake. A boat you can hardly see. How do we spot this with the naked eye? It probably won't even show up on radar."

"...If you are in a small boat and concerned with your safety, what can I do to make you feel safer? Beyond what the law requires, I try to make obvious course adjustments at best; and wave at least, so that you will know I see you, but is there anything else I can do..?"

Watch out for the little guy.

:(