PDA

View Full Version : So what's the timetable for the bill now?

Airwaves
03-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I am not familiar with how quickly or slowly the NH legislature moves on bills.

The last I could find on the NH web site was the bill is "In Committee" but no indication when it might be reported out.

Anyone have any insight?

Skip
03-07-2006, 09:42 AM
From today's Citizen, Transportation Committee could move on HB 162 as soon as tomorrow.

Full story from Geoff Cunningham can be read at the Citizen's on-line site here:

Transportation Committee poised to move forward on HB 162 (http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060307/NEWS01/103070041/-1/CITIZEN)

Thanks Geoff (and the folks at the Citizen) for a great series of articles that have kept us up to date on the issues!

Skip

sum-r breeze
03-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Skip,

Thanks for that link! Does anyone know how many senators sit on that commitee? They mentioned 3 I think. What is their duty? Do they just make a recomondation or do they have more pull than that? This is really a nail biter!

Thanks,
The Breeze
Wave 'cause I'll be waving back

Skip
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
...Does anyone know how many senators sit on that commitee? They mentioned 3 I think. What is their duty? Do they just make a recomondation or do they have more pull than that? This is really a nail biter!...

There is a total of six Senators on the committee.

They will make a recommendation on the Bill for a vote that will consist of the entire Senate.

Anytime during this process the Bill can be ammended, we really won't know what the final version is until (or if) it reaches the Governor's desk for final signature prior to enactment.

As the article stated, the Chair wants to have something come out of committee by as early as tomorrow so that it can be put on the agenda for a full Senate vote. The full Senate vote would take place at a later date, not tomorrow! I am sure that if a recommendation leaves committee tomorrow it will be very newsworthy and the Citizen has been very prompt about following this story along, as has been WMUR-TV (Channel 9).

Anyway, here is a link to this particular Senate committee for you to peruse at your leisure:

NH Senate Transportation & Interstate Cooperation Committee (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ie/billstatus/commdetails.asp?commcode=S25)

Skip

Dave R
03-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Anyone know how any of the Senators are leaning right now?

Skip
03-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Anyone know how any of the Senators are leaning right now?

Well, in the Transportation Committee 2/3rds of the Senators are leaning to the right and 1/3rd lean to the left.

Of the total 24 Senators (entire Senate) the percentage stays the same, 2/3rds lean to the right and 1/3rd lean to the left!

Sorry, couldn't resist the joke..:) ...4 of the six Senators on Transportation are Republican, while 16 of the 24 in the full Senate are Republicans.

While a handful have publicly staked their claims on HB 162, most are still playing their cards close to their political chests!

But the clock is ticking, I expect we'll have an outcome within the next week or two from the Committee & possibly the full Senate as a whole, then on (maybe) to the Governor's desk. It appears the Governor will probably sign whatever reaches his office, it hasn't appeared that this is an issue he is willing to waste much political capital on regardless of what form it arrives in.

Keeping my eyes & ears peeled on whatever happens in Committee today, might be worth catching WMUR-TV 9's broadcast later on this evening!

Skip

Dave R
03-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Do you have the names of those that have already stated the way they'd vote? I might be able to add one more to the against if I know the names(won't say who though).

chipj29
03-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Do you have the names of those that have already stated the way they'd vote? I might be able to add one more to the against if I know the names(won't say who though).

I received an email from Senate President Gatsas, stating that he is against HB162.

fatlazyless
03-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Within the six member Senate Transportation Committee two of the four Republicans, Senator Flanders and Senator Martel look like they could be in favor of a 45-25 mph speed limit. They are both very intelligent and experienced law makers who bring lots of 'NH good sense' to the table.

Possible, they could use a a little education why a speed limit is no good!

Paugus Bay Resident
03-09-2006, 09:26 AM
I received a letter from Sen Boyce stating he is against it. He would possibly support "reasonable and prudent". I also received a similar letter from Sen Clegg, the majority leader.

Woodsy
03-09-2006, 10:39 AM
I am sure it will be a close vote either way!

I am in favor of "Reasonable & Prudent" replacing 45/25.

Woodsy

fatlazyless
03-09-2006, 12:33 PM
The problem with 'reasonable & prudent' when applying it to a boat speed limit is that different boaters will have different opinions as to what is 'reasonable & prudent.'

In a newspaper article from last summer, the driver of **** a 47' Fountain powered by three 620hp engines, capable of about 100mph, said that going 50-60mph at night is "perfectly reasonable" with the proper running lights and eye glasses. He made a point of differentiating from going these speeds out on the broads and not in the bays.

In addition to the safety factor, what about the noise factor of going these speeds?

Concord Monitor June 22, 2005 - Here, speed knows no limits

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050622/REPOSI...

Drummer Boy
03-09-2006, 12:41 PM
The Laconia Daily Sun is reporting this morning that this bill is on life support

Woodsy
03-09-2006, 01:01 PM
I will wait to see what happens. As with the House of Representatives, anything is possible!

FLL, your link doesn't seem to work?

There is also a new noise bill in the works that allows for what is essentially instantaneous dockside testing... that will cut down on the noise offenders.

Woodsy

fatlazyless
03-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Sorry about that, but posting a link using my ten year old web-tv box is a hit-or-miss. Makes me feel just like I'm cruisn' under that Birch Island bridge on a full moon night and then back home. "Where's the bottom and which way from here........gosh, is this a big lake?"

codeman671
03-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I received a response via a relative in the Marine industry from Marth Fuller-Clark that she is going to support the bill. If anyone wants a copy of her response PM me. Hopefully she is on the minority side of the vote!!!

Airwaves
03-09-2006, 05:56 PM
So did the Senate Transporation and Interstate Cooperation Committee take a vote to either recommend or not recommend this bill?

If so anyone know if they voted yea or nay?

fatlazyless
03-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Here's what Senator Martha Fuller Clark said to me.

Dear fatlazyless,

Thankyou for contacting me with your concerns regarding HB 162. After much thought and consideration, I believe that it is important to protect all citizens and visitors who are using the New Hampshire Lakes. The best way is to pass a specific speed limit for day and night time speed limits. For this particular reason I am going to vote in favor of HB 162. For the bill puts in place a clear and definable safety regulation with regard to how fast boats may or may not travel on lakes.

Sincerely,

Senator Martha Fuller Clark

Skip
03-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Here's what Martha said to me.

Dear Skip,

Thankyou for contacting me with your concerns regarding HB 162. After much thought and consideration, I believe that it is important to protect all citizens and visitors who are using the New Hampshire Lakes. The best way is to pass a specific speed limit for day and night time speed limits. For this particular reason I am going to vote in favor of HB 162. For the bill puts in place a clear and definable safety regulation with regard to how fast boats may or may not travel on lakes.

However, for a $100 "re-elect Martha" contribution, I could be convinced to raise the proposed limits to 35/55.

A $250 "donation" could convince me to raise the daytime limit to 70 Mph.

And a reasonable and prudent $500 donation could convine me to be "reasonable & prudent" also!

Anyway, you know where to send the money!

Sincerely,

Martha

fatlazyless
03-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Gee whiz Skipper, that Martha needs to raise her prices at least up to the 500.....750......1000 dollar range where the Republicans all live. But the Democrats were always the party for the little guy. Either way, everyone....the politicians, the voters, the GF-BLs, and even the kayakers are all a little guilty. Everyone is at least a little guilty, one way or another.

So on one side, it's "50-60 mph at night is perfectly reasonable and proper" and on the other side it's "we need a clear & definable speed limit." Is there a middle compromise possible here? Probably not!

Cal
03-09-2006, 10:21 PM
And here all this time I though NJ had the best politicians money could buy:laugh: :laugh:

codeman671
03-09-2006, 10:48 PM
It looks like the same response to everyone, we got an exact copy.

Airwaves
03-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Original post by codeman671 It looks like the same response to everyone, we got an exact copy.

We're all dealing with politicians, only the smart ones have more than two form letters! :laugh:

ITD
03-09-2006, 11:30 PM
...100....250....500......dollars, thats cheap!
.......at least up to the 500.....750......1000 dollar range where the Republicans all live. But the Democrats were always the party for the little guy......

Ah Less, I love the way you sneak the little political jabs in there but I think you have your info. wrong. Take a look www.opensecrets.org (http://www.opensecrets.org) and check out who the little guy gave more to on the last Presidential election. It's opposite of what you think and I'm willing to bet the same thing is happening around the lake.