PDA

View Full Version : Vote may be delayed

playinghooky
01-18-2006, 12:11 PM
According to the Citizen the vote may be delayed until February 1st if they don't get to it today. It is last on the list.
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060118/CITIZEN0101/101180057/-1/CITIZEN

fatlazyless
01-18-2006, 09:04 PM
My crystal ball tells me that the House ran out of time today and it will be heard on Feb 1. Stay tuned....and both sides now have another 13 days to turn up the volume on their local reps and let them know what you think.....again!

SIKSUKR
01-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Oh great!!I was kind of hoping this thing would be done with.

fatlazyless
01-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Boom or bust.....from 120mph to zero......from posters predetermining the HB 162 outcome here with their lengthy arguments to no comment. Well no comment certainly doesn't mean no interest, I suppose everyone has moved on, or given up, and is thinking about the coming Feb 1 vote, and it may not happen on Feb 1.

Talking about the need for speed. Isn't that all a matter of scale. Whether you are going 70mph in a 32' 8000lb 1150hp $125,000. boat or are going 28mph in an 18' 1200lb 60hp $10,000. boat the need for speed feels very similar. It's all a matter of scale, the need for speed.

Mee-n-Mac
01-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Boom or bust.....from 120mph to zero......from posters predetermining the HB 162 outcome here with their lengthy arguments to no comment. Well no comment certainly doesn't mean no interest, I suppose everyone has moved on, or given up, and is thinking about the coming Feb 1 vote, and it may not happen on Feb 1.

Talking about the need for speed. Isn't that all a matter of scale. Whether you are going 70mph in a 32' 8000lb 1150hp $125,000. boat or are going 28mph in an 18' 1200lb 60hp $10,000. boat the need for speed feels very similar. It's all a matter of scale, the need for speed.

I've emphasized the above to highlight that I think you've got it about right, so far as commentary goes. Pretty much everyone has had their say though perhaps I think the issue deserves a final commentary, a summing up as it were, from each person speaking. I just ran across an old post, that I somehow missed, that maybe deserves some response. I'm deciding if it's worth my time.

As to "need for speed" ... for me that's really not the question. HB-162 won't affect me in any practical way. I see it (in best lighting) as overly limiting regulation w/o a solid basis. Why 25 ? Why 45 ? Could a better solution be found (I think so) ? The problem is that the process is more along the lines of a legal battle (2 opposing sides) rather than a investigative effort. What people should be asking themselves is where does the truth lie ? What do I know vs what do I feel ? Do them "other guys" have any points worth considering and can "I" do anything to accomodate them but still answer the concerns "I" have ? I'm not holding my breath awaiting any answers though.

BroadHopper
01-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately I have a need for speed. Up to 55 mph. I like to barefoot ski and so do my daughters and colleagues. If I do get stop for speeding because I am barefoot skiing, I will feel very discriminated and will definitely take it to court on that matter. Barefoot skiing should be grandfathered and the sport should continue in this great state. 'Live free or die'.

fatlazyless
01-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm, well I don't know about that 55mph needed for barefoot'n. For years and years and years, I've barefooted and it's always at 44mph and on a very calm day. Usually, I do a deep water start on one slalom ski, and then drop that one ski in the trough just outside the right hand wake, usually next to South Bear Island. And I bet I weigh a lot more than you.

ITD
01-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm, well I don't know about that 55mph needed for barefoot'n. For years and years and years, I've barefooted and it's always at 44mph and on a very calm day. Usually, I do a deep water start on one slalom ski, and then drop that one ski in the trough just outside the right hand wake, usually next to South Bear Island. And I bet I weigh a lot more than you.

Yeah, but I hear your feet are as big as canoes. :look:

B R
01-24-2006, 01:53 PM

if it's all i need then it must be all everyone needs?:confused:

please!!!

chipj29
01-25-2006, 01:04 PM
I spoke with my local representative last night. She told me that this would be voted on either Feb 1 or 2. I had emailed her with my comments on the topic. She wrote back telling me how she would vote, without telling me why. So I emailed her back asking why, and to my shock she actually called me to talk about it. She said she has received quite a bit of email on this, and that they are just about evenly split into yes and no.

Another thing she told me was that her impression was that the reason the speed limit is being considered was to keep the large cig-style boats off the lake. She also said that the proponents of the speed limit were well organized, with over 30 local businesses voicing support. I asked her how many have voiced their non-support?? She didn't have a good answer for that. We also talked about enforcement, or lack thereof, of current laws.

I have to admit that I was impressed that she took the time to call me, to explain her thinking, and to listen to my thoughts. I am not sure that I swayed her either way, but am glad that she at least took the time.

Audiofn
02-01-2006, 12:37 AM
When is the next vote?

itchin for fishin
02-01-2006, 07:26 PM
In reviewing the voting records, it seems as though the House didn't take up HB162 today as planned. This is getting more like an episode of "24" everyday!

Skip
02-01-2006, 09:09 PM
...In reviewing the voting records, it seems as though the House didn't take up HB162 today as planned...

You are right, they worked "overtime" until 6:00 PM, but never got to it. I watched a lot of the House debate today through their streaming video, they spent a good part of the day on "right to vote" issues. It was actually pretty interesting debate.

Anyway, they will start earlier tomorrow (at 9:30 AM) in an attempt to finish the agenda.....so it looks like tomorrow round one may finally get on the books! :liplick:

Skip

Paugus Bay Resident
02-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Here's the link to what Skip was referring to. It's pretty neat.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/live/default.html