PDA

View Full Version : New HB 162 Sub-Forum

webmaster
12-01-2005, 04:12 PM
To deal with some of the problems created by the speed limit issue I have created a separate sub-forum within the Boating Forum and moved all speed limit related threads there. If you post a message about speed limits anywhere else it will be moved into that dedicated area.

This will allow all the people who are very interested in this topic a place to express their opinions and post information while giving those who don't like the debates and arguments an easy way to steer clear of them. Many forum regulars have told me that they don't even read the Boating Forum any more because of the speed limit arguments. I hope those people will now return to that forum for the wealth of other boating information that is there.

This new HB 162 Forum will allow for a more open discussion and exchange of information about this topic although the Forum's rules and guidelines will still be enforced and I won't let those with agendas take over.

The speed limit issue has been a no-win situation for me as I'm harshly criticised both when I allow and suppress the debates. I hope this new area will help.

Don

SIKSUKR
12-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks Don.I think that's a good move on your part.I'm not sure why people would not read a section of a forum because of one thread though.It's easy enough to read one post in a thread and if you don't like the subject,move on to the next.The current thread on HB 162 looks like people are really trying to stay within the guidelines.

Pepper
12-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks Don.I think that's a good move on your part.I'm not sure why people would not read a section of a forum because of one thread though.It's easy enough to read one post in a thread and if you don't like the subject,move on to the next.The current thread on HB 162 looks like people are really trying to stay within the guidelines.

SIKSUKR, I'll fess up and tell that I'm one of the Forum Regulars who quit reading the Boating threads, and I just wanted to clear up that way-back-when, it was not just one thread. Things had gotten really hot last year, and it got to a point where I was witnessing arguments between people I consider to be my friends, and I didn't want to feel "torn". For a while it seemed that somehow every thread somehow managed to have a reference to the speed limit issue.

I have affection and respect for many members of the Forum! Seeing the heated arguements became just too much for me, and I did the only thing I could - avoided those threads by avoiding the entire area.

Now I can once again enjoy the Boating topics, where I've learned a lot about boats, the lake, etc. I personally don't know the first thing about boating, and have had only a few opportunities to be in one out on the lake - mostly on the Mount. Being able to read all about boating on the lake sort of affords me an opportunity to live vicariously through all the other Members who post their adventures! :D I've even had quite a few chuckles reading the threads about the "Mystery" items on Bizer's charts! :laugh: While I still wouldn't know how to even start a boat, I've begun to learn the locations of various islands, the "cool places", the hidden jems, the cheapest gas, and a ton of other great stuff!

I am eternally grateful that Don has created a sub-forum so that those who feel passionately have a place to discuss this important issue! I think this is a brilliant solution. It is abundantly clear that there is much to be said on both sides of this topic, and for those whose lives will be affected by the outcome, I can certainly understand why they feel so passionate!

Thank you, Don, for creating this special sub-forum, so that discussion may continue! I am sure that Forum Members who have interest in both sides of the issue appreciate the ability to openly exchange their views. :) Also, those who wish to learn more about the issue have a specific place where they can now go to read specific information! I am sure that there are many visitors to the site who are seeking information, and this will allow them to locate what they seek! ;)

RLW
12-02-2005, 04:19 PM
SIKSUKR, I'll fess up and tell that I'm one of the Forum Regulars who quit reading the Boating threads, and I just wanted to clear up that way-back-when, it was not just one thread. Things had gotten really hot last year, and it got to a point where I was witnessing arguments between people I consider to be my friends, and I didn't want to feel "torn". For a while it seemed that somehow every thread somehow managed to have a reference to the speed limit issue.

I have affection and respect for many members of the Forum! Seeing the heated arguements became just too much for me, and I did the only thing I could - avoided those threads by avoiding the entire area.

Pepper you put into words what I could only think of. Your way with the words are my exact feelings. Thank you for putting my feelings and many others feelings I'm sure that will not take the time to say so. You have put so many threads into great words and said the right thing at the right time.
Thanks,:)
RLW

ApS
12-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Funny, I had no sooner e-mailed a HB162 supporter than Don opened up the new HB162 Proposed Speed Limit Law sub-forum.

My e-mailed opinion of yesterday was that that Don had been too cordial -- and professional -- dealing with the hoardes opposed to the bill. (Don's replies can be viewed on at least one other forum). I also said that Don could only proceed by locking threads as he has been doing. (I moderate another forum, and have had to lock threads when it got personal).

I'm thinking that a Pandora's Box has been opened, and here's why: Just one speedboat website boasts 45,000 wealthy and vocal members from all over the world. They believe they can skew the wishes of New Hampshire family boaters, and maybe they can.

NH Rep. Howard Dickinson knows. He wrote in the Granite State News, that "They are well-financed and noisy".

Expect some major spamming.

Pepper
12-02-2005, 11:34 PM
RLW, thank you so much for your kind words! You made my day. (she blushes) I'm so glad that my message was not misunderstood. :)

APS, I think Don's whole reason for creating the sub-forum was to provide an area where both sides of the issue could have a place to express themselves. It matters not how much money folks have, or how many voices are in one place. Everyone who has an opinion on the matter is equally passionate. If there are posts which break the forum rules (posted by either those who are for ORagainst the legislation in question) Don has clearly stated that those posts will be removed. I hope that everyone will be respecful of one another, AND of Don's wishes, and that there will be healthy debates and discussions. Bashing one another does nothing but defeat the purpose of discussion. Everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint, provided they abide by the published guidelines of the forum, and those who come seeking information should be afforded the opportunity to view opinions from both sides.

I must admit that I am so thoroughly clueless :confused: about the issue, that I will probably visit the subforum in the hopes that I can begin to sort out what in the world everyone is screaming about! It is my sincere hope that when I visit, I'll be able to read informative, NON-INFLAMMATORY posts that have substance and fact, posted by members on both sides of this debate. That would be wonderful! :D If all I find is another bash-fest, or a bunch more posts laden with with speculation or skewed data, then I'll never learn a thing! I really hope that all who use the sub-forum will present their information in language that I can understand (being the clueless idiot that I am), and provide bonafide factual information so that those who are like me can begin to truly understand. ;) PLEASE????????????????????????

webmaster
12-03-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm thinking that a Pandora's Box has been opened, and here's why: Just one speedboat website boasts 45,000 wealthy and vocal members from all over the world. They believe they can skew the wishes of New Hampshire family boaters, and maybe they can.I am determined that that won't happen here. I can usually spot an agenda a mile away and have no problem switching on moderation if I'm concerned about what's being posted. The extremists on both sides who's goal is to squash any other views simply aren't welcome here. I will intervene as little or as much as necessary to keep the discussion "productive and beneficial", which is the stated goal of this forum. If it does create a Pandora's Box I'll just close it all down again. Let's hope that isn't necessary.

Expect some major spamming.If you mean flooding I won't let that happen as I said above. Fortunately email spamming as we usually think of it isn't possible here. No one's email address is displayed and you can easily shut off email and PM by going to your UserCP.

So far creating a separate area for this topic is working well and everyone seems to be happy with this approach. At least I haven't received any complaints and the sub-forum is very active.

Don

Lakegeezer
12-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Hey Don. I know you don't want to overcommercialize the forum, but perhaps you could make some money on the speed-limit sub-thread by adding some extra "google ad" links. The thread will continue to be very popular with a certain crowd (over 1000 views so far). Those that read it are probably a bit more thick-skinned, and won't be too offended by the ads. Heck, its taking more of your time - why not make it worth it!

webmaster
12-03-2005, 02:55 PM
I know you don't want to overcommercialize the forum, but perhaps you could make some money on the speed-limit sub-thread by adding some extra "google ad" links.The Google ads have helped raise some extra income for the site but the advertisers who pay to run the ads at the top of every page are who I really want to keep happy. Any extra activity this topic may stir up will boost their exposures and click-throughs and make it more likely that they will continue to advertise here.

Even with the poor positioning the Google ads have been effective but there aren't many other good places to put them without being intrusive or moving in to the primary advertiser's space. I've seen other forums that insert ad panels every 10 or so threads or messages but I always thought that was distracting and annoying.

I've always tried to make the advertising that is necessary to support the site blend in and be a positive source of information. I don't allow animated or oversized ads and will only accept advertisers of Lakes Region businesses or services that I think visitors to this site would be interested in. I never collect information about anyone who clicks on an ad banner (a very common practice) except to count that an exposure or click-through occurred.

Don

codeman671
12-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Don, great move on creating the sub-forum for this. As ugly as these conversations can get some times this forum is about the reality of present day life on the lake and a place for people to introduce their ideas on the future of it.