PDA

View Full Version : Willows

bobio
11-15-2005, 01:00 PM
any feedback on The Willows at Weirs? Went there recently and was dissapointed with the food. Service was slow but the servers were nice.
Thinking about giving it a second chance. Maybe we hit it on an off night.

BroadHopper
11-15-2005, 01:07 PM
You may have. I've been there enough to meet the owner, Mike Moore. A Southerner who married a local woman and settled here. He would gladly make good any complaints thet may have come up. Seems like hospitaility is his middle name. I find that often when I travel below the Mason-Dixon line. :cool:

Phantom
11-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Well BroadHopper - I certainly can't share your enthusiasm over the Willows!!

My wife and I went there a number of times this season -it's right down the street from our cottage and extremely convenient- Our service was pitifully slow every time. The final straw came one evening this fall when we decided to stop in for cocktails and appetizers only (Sunday nite football) and were told as we entered it would be at least an hour before they could seat us - thinking we were dinner guests -- we told them drinks at the bar would be fine so we joined the 6-8 other folks at the "empty bar" -- Low & behold it got to be 30+ minutes and the barmaid was still ignoring us so we picked up and left -- walked right into Patricks that nite and were served with a smile immediately!!

Willows -- until a name change occurs -- Is off our list !! Shame too it's so close by.

jrc
11-16-2005, 04:13 PM
We had dinner there at least three times. I can't remember what we had, but in general, I'm sure it was fine. I always remember the bad meals. I think the reason we don't go very often is that it's not that memorable. The service was a little laid back not really slow but no one was in hurry. We always seemed to be there on a slow night, like a Monday or after Labor Day.

Prices were normal lake prices, 2-4 dollars more than you would expect away from the tourist areas. A little less than Patricks.

Phantom, I'm having a hard time understanding what you went through. You sat at in an empty bar for 30 minutes and the bartender never look your way, walked by, or asked what you wanted. What was she doing? She would have to be the worst bartender I've ever seen. And since they work mostly on tips she would also be the dumbest.

BroadHopper
11-16-2005, 05:26 PM
I find it hard to believe that the bartender was that bad. I would certainly make a 'big stink' about it instead of walking out. If you should ever go back, ask for Mike and let him know how you feel. I'll be surprised if he doesn't bend over backwards. :confused:

jetskier
11-17-2005, 10:53 AM
We went to the Willows this past Friday and I would give it a mixed review. The restaurant was not very busy and we were seated immediately. The service was prompt and friendly. There was a pianist performing and he was actually quite good.

My wife was quite happy with her meal. I felt that the shrimp cocktail was a bit overcooked and the sauce was still frozen. The filet was good, but relatively petite.

I would give the restaurant good grades on service and atmosphere. The food quality probably could be improved a bit, but it was not bad by any means.

Phantom
11-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Phantom, I'm having a hard time understanding what you went through. You sat at in an empty bar for 30 minutes and the bartender never look your way, walked by, or asked what you wanted. What was she doing? She would have to be the worst bartender I've ever seen. And since they work mostly on tips she would also be the dumbest.

Well -- it was a half empty bar to be fair -- and yes, ignore away they did (there was some other gal behind the bar as well -- having a register key around her wrist I took her for a manager- the same gal who told us there would be an hour wait before we could be served). Between the two of them they filled waitress drink orders and bussed dishes/glasses behind the bar.

As to why I didn't make my OPINIONS known -- which is wayyy my style -- quite frankly I wasn't up to the ordeal that night. We simply wanted a few drinks/ appetizers and wanted to watch the football game.

Having the owner (Mike) name will come in handy IF we ever venture in there again -- as I said, it's a damn shame because it's soooo close to our cottage. We literally can walk there (which is handy after cocktails too)

The Big Kahuna
11-24-2005, 10:05 AM
They have the best brunch I have ever been to. Freshly cooked omelettes, carving stations with turket and prime beef. Much much more. It is excellent.

GTO
11-25-2005, 03:34 PM
They have the best brunch I have ever been to. Freshly cooked omelettes, carving stations with turket and prime beef. Much much more. It is excellent.

What is "Turket"? I think they only serve that over in Braun Bay.

BroadHopper
11-26-2005, 10:22 AM
I think it is a cousin to this delicacy. :D