PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new server

webmaster
11-12-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm happy to announce that we've completed the move to a new server! You should notice much faster response from now on.

The Forum is working fine and open for business. The latest version of the forum software is installed and many of the small bugs I've been living with are now gone.

It will take me a few days to get everything else working properly so please bear with me. Although the forum is working there are some problems with PhotoPost I have to iron out. Please just try again later if you have problems.

Other parts of the site are affected too and I'll be going through all of the site's features and fixing any problems as I discover them. Again, please try later if you run into problems.

Thanks for your patience!

Don the Webmaster

DRH
11-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Great job, Don! Wow, it is REALLY fast!!

trfour
11-12-2005, 02:06 PM
You are seeing this because we've completed the move to a new server! You should notice much faster response from now on.

Hi Don,

I lost my internet connection back in late September, havent' figured' out why as yet. All that I can say is that ( for me ) it's been like losing an arm or a leg, not being out here on this "World Class Website with all of the Forum Members".
Got back on line late last night and am looking foward to more of this forum's Special works, With Our Beloved Webmaster, Don!

Terry

Pepper
11-12-2005, 02:52 PM
The term "Greased Lightning" comes to mind! Wow, this IS fast!!! Thanks, Don! :D

upthesaukee
11-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Great job, Don. And we thank you for your patience in dealing with us, and doing all that you do to make things so much better for those who visit winnipesaukee.com. Thanks for everything.

mcdude
11-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Wow! I'm at the clunky old dial-up here at the cottage and even here the page is loading noticably faster! And I see we have some new icons here on the "Reply to Thread" screen that we all get to play with! Nice job, Don!

KBoater
11-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Fast as a FLorida green flash.(I'm still looking for one) Great to be able to get my NH fix on the forum.:banana: :D

trfour
11-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Beans and franks for dinner. :)

Hi Don,

I logged on today hoping to upload just one more photo, and could not find a link at the new, to do so............. " HELP "!!!!
As you know, I have been off the Net since a long time,.... well since late September anywho.....
As all of us, from time to time, I need your help on this one!
Love,

Island Girl
11-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks for all your work, Don... we love you!

Steve
11-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Yup, what they said! Very fast, thanks for effort Don...

webmaster
11-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the support everyone. I am enjoying the speed of the new server too as my admin tasks complete so quickly it will take getting used to.

I still have things to do and I'm struggling with a few problems but rather than mention them here I am going to start a thread on the Support Forum where I can post updates for those who are interested. I'll also move this thread there in a day or two.

Don

Hermit Cover
11-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Things go too fast on our lake! We need to slow things down and get back to the way it used to be........but NOT the new server. Wow.....welcome to the New and Improved Forum......Welcome to our new 21st century website...and THANKS, Don....for all you do for the BEST lake website in the universe!!!

secondcurve
11-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Don:

I'm curious, who foots the bill for the Winnipesaukee.com web site? Also, do you back up the files at a remote location? Just wondering. Thanks for your efforts.

webmaster
11-13-2005, 10:22 PM
who foots the bill for the Winnipesaukee.com web site?The ad banners you see at the top of each page and the Google Ads pay the real monthly costs of running the site and server. What's left doesn't come close to covering my time but I enjoy it and think it's worthwhile.

I created this page (http://www.winnipesaukee.com/support.shtml) a while ago with other ways you can help.

lakegirl
11-14-2005, 08:44 AM
:D Fast.... is an uderstatement!!! Your the best webmaster!! Two thumbs up for the new server!!(and the webmaster)

BroadHopper
11-14-2005, 09:11 AM
I always thought it was my computer and the internet that slows down the loading of a web page. I notice one heck of a difference just now! Thanks Don! I switched to Verizon DSL because of the price drop and I do not notice the difference when downloading a page. I also heard that DSL is available on the islands that have phone service along the 'metropolis' of Laconia, Gilford and Meredith.

Keep up the work Good Buddy! :D

Woodsy
11-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Good Job Don!

Woodsy

rrr
11-14-2005, 01:32 PM
What they all said!

Thanks Don - you're the best!

Resident 2B
11-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Outstanding upgrade!

The new speed is great and very much appriciated.

Lady Di
11-14-2005, 11:41 PM
I see you're still awake. Hi. What do you suppose that means? Still on warm weather time? Glad I am not the only one awake now. :)

ApS
11-15-2005, 06:14 AM
"...Things go too fast on our lake! We need to slow things down and get back to the way it used to be..."

Yeah...Even the Olde Forum is too fast! :laugh:

How'd that happen?

Just Sold
11-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Don, Thanks so much! The new server is super. :coolsm:

Mee-n-Mac
11-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Wow! I'm at the clunky old dial-up here at the cottage and even here the page is loading noticably faster! And I see we have some new icons here on the "Reply to Thread" screen that we all get to play with! Nice job, Don!

I've had a few trials now between home/dial-up and work and it's really clear how much faster the dialup is compared to the old server. Even the Photopost thumbs load quicker ! Almost don't need broadband now :D Good job Webmaster !

Rattlesnake Gal
11-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks Don! I especially love the speed in the calendar mode.
Am I having another blonde moment? I cannot add links to threads, smiles, change text size etc. Am I doing something wrong?

webmaster
11-17-2005, 01:46 PM
I cannot add links to threads, smiles, change text size etc. Am I doing something wrong?Hi RG, When on the forum click "UserCP" and "Edit Options". The last option on the page is "Message Editor Interface". Change that setting to either Standard or Enhanced and all the buttons you're used to seeing will return.

Don

Rattlesnake Gal
11-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Oh no! Here we go again! (Insert a laugh.) I did have the Standard option selected, changed it to Enhanced and it still doesn't work. (Insert confused.) Also, when I hit enter to start a new line, the preview combines it to all one paragraph.

Rattlesnake Gal
11-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Now I'm really confused. I went into Rattlesnake Guy's account, logged on as him and the smiles etc. didn't work. Then I reset his options to Enhanced and it did work. I logged off, logged in as myself and it worked. When I came back to my own account, it doesn't work again. Any ideas?

webmaster
11-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Sounds like your cache may be messing you up. Clear your cache (Tools|Internet Options|Delete Files in IE) or hold Shift down while reloading the page and see if that helps. With some enhanced features problems it's also good to try a different browser, like FireFox. On my new server's admin utility several enhanced features don't work in IE, but do in FireFox.

If you continue to struggle with this please email me directly.

Don

Rattlesnake Gal
11-17-2005, 05:45 PM
I tried holding down the shift key like you suggested and it worked! :banana:
RG is up and running. Thanks for the support.;)