PDA

View Full Version : Coal Stoves?

Woodsy
10-24-2005, 12:50 PM
With Cordwood approaching $300+ and oil projected to be $3 per gallon I have been considering a coal stove. Coal seems pretty stable at $250/ton delivered.

What are the pros / cons of burning coal?

Woodsy

ApS
10-24-2005, 04:18 PM
You don't state what the furnace is, but my coal experience was in an antique cast iron woodstove. (The stove was designed to use either wood or coal). Coal was available from Ossipee Energy.

Anthracite coal is a little difficult to start (use wood-charcoal only to start it) and, compared to seasoned wood, puts out A REALLY HOT HEAT!

It's only because it thoroughly baked the living room, that I returned to burning wood.

It seemed clean enough in every respect, though.

ITD
10-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Woodsy,

Not sure I believe the $3.00/ gallon heating oil, although I guess it could happen. I have no experience with coal, my sister in law heated her house with it for a few years (with a stove specifically designed to burn coal). They finally converted the house from electric baseboard to forced hot water by either gas or oil, I don't remember. Coal worked well, but they always had a fine coating of black dust throughout the house, that's why they gave up on it.

Rattlesnake Gal
10-25-2005, 06:09 AM
Have you considered a pellet stove?

Woodsy
10-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the advice... keep it coming!

I am looking at two different coal stoves, a Vermont Castings Vigilant II, (identical to the wood burner I have now), and a Harman Magnafire Mk II. Both stoves seem pretty comparable, they are (according to the mfg) very clean burning. The price points are similar, the Vermont Castings is about $1299 and the Harman is $1517. The Harman has blower and thats a pretty neat feature. I figure I can sell my current Vermont Castings to help offset the cost.

I though about a pellet stove, but most of them require electricity to run the auger. I want something that I know will heat the house without any power...

ITD - I don't think the oil price issue will be too bad until late Jan - early Feb. I didn't pre-buy because I thought the buy in was ridiculous! I am actually kind of hoping for the oil prices to fall some.

APS - Thanks for the Charcoal trick... I told my father about it and he laughed. I remember as a kid him trying to get the coal fire lit... LOL! He looked like the Raphie's dad from "Christmas Story" after he argued with thier furnace... LOL!

Woodsy

Pineedles
10-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi, We had a Franco Belge coal stove that burned PEA coal, which is about 2" in diameter. 50 lb. bags stacked nicely indoors or out but when you tranfer the coal from the bag to the Hod, do it outdoors, lots of coal dust otherwise.

Had the stove situated on the lower level of 1,800 sf. split level home. Regulating the heat was simple and kept the whole house warm with no real hot spots.

Eventually took it out in favor of Pellet stove. Electricity is needed but easier to maintain, fill, and light.

ApS
10-25-2005, 05:24 PM
1) My "clean" references were to anthracite coal. Anthracite "handles" like quartz! The other coal-types are dirtier and produce less heat. Anthracite is becoming depleted in the US due to these considerations, and I'm unfamiliar with the coal type for which you have quoted the price.

2) If either stoves are available with an "Enamel-Delete" option, I'd do without the color. (Just go with the bare cast iron for maximum efficiency).

3) If, after a year, you're happy with coal, anticipate buying at least one standby replacement part — the grate. Coal's heat will eventually erode the grate and there's no telling how long the manufacturer will maintain replacement parts for your particular stove.

I want something that I know will heat the house without any power...

Good thinking. You mean like the power New Hampshire did without today?