PDA

View Full Version : Login

DRH
04-07-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi Don,

I have noticed that on the new Forum I must log in with username and password each time I come to the site, even though I have "Remember me" checked off.

When I log out, a box appears on the screen that says all cookies have been cleared. I think that's why we have to log in each time. Is there a parameter in the forum configuration that allows the login cookie to remain on users' computers when we log off?

Don

Rattlesnake Gal
04-07-2004, 10:26 AM
What is going to happen is that people will not log off. It will look like they are on the forum when they are not.

webmaster
04-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi Don,

I have noticed that on the new Forum I must log in with username and password each time I come to the site, even though I have "Remember me" checked off.

When I log out, a box appears on the screen that says all cookies have been cleared. I think that's why we have to log in each time. Is there a parameter in the forum configuration that allows the login cookie to remain on users' computers when we log off?

Don

Hi Don,

From what I can see it is working properly. If you log in to the Forum (and click "remember me") and then close your browser without logging off, you'll still be logged in the next time you open a browser and go to the Forum. I just tried this several times and I always stayed logged in until I actually clicked the logoff link.

Only when you logout is the cookie cleared.

If you don't click "remember me" you won't be remembered after you close your browser.

I hope that answers your question.

PS The "Currently Active Users" list does not come from who is logged on. It only lists users who have been active in a certain time frame. I couldn't find the setting right now but I think it's 5 minutes.

DRH
04-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks Don (Webmaster) and Scott for your explanations of how the login function works. I was thinking of it differently and now I understand the purpose of "Remember me".

Don

Rattlesnake Gal
04-07-2004, 02:32 PM
I did try to just close the browser. Then I logged in as a guest from another computer, but didn't wait long enough. Thanks for the help.