PDA

View Full Version : Re: Photopost Pictures/cameras

Mee'n'Mac
02-15-2004, 12:14 AM
"I am sure digital shots are easier to manipulate than scanning actual photos. Is it worth changing over or just stick with what I have? Does anyone have input about film vs digital?"

. If you're into photography as a hobby then by all means get a digi-cam. Under most conditions the results of a good digi-cam can rival 35 mm film and as has been said you get the instant review capability rather than waiting for film development. If you like to tweak your photo's then the software available to do a 'digital darkroom' gives you more capability, more easily, than a traditional wet process darkroom. Indeed this has gotten me back into my old hobby. My old SLR is now only used because I can't pry the S404 I gave to "Mee" out of her hands ! Presently I'm trying to decide whether it'll be a DSLR (D-Rebel, N70) or Minolta's A1 (?A2?) later this year. In either case a digi-cam beats scanning for convenience if not in absolute quality under the best conditions (with slides and a negative scanner). A perfectionist might want to stay with slides but for the rest of us digital is the way to go.

p.s. - if you're interested check out www.dpreview.com , the best digicam and related stuff site there is IMHO.

Throttleman
02-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Along with dpreview.com, another helpful resource is:
http://www.steves-digicams.com
The site consists of detailed reviews plus sample photos from virtually every digital camera produced.

Jeff Furber
02-16-2004, 05:29 PM
I got a digital camera about a year ago,after doing lots of looking and reading reviews.
I bought a Olympus C-720 3.0, as it fit a number of ny requirements, price and very important was "feel" or how it fits into your hand and ease of use and of course quality. I did buy the extended warranty. I also bought two extra cards (128megs) each as we were going to a wedding.

I believe that you first should examine just what your needs are and what you are going to do with the pictures, just printing them out or will they be put into a program like PhotoShop7. Are you going to download them into a PC?
Then go to every photo shop you can and try out the camera's. Once you have a particular brand you like, purchace or borrow a card and ask to see if they will let you shoot a few pictures to see how they come out. Any reputable place should do this.
Talk to your friends and see what they have for dig camera's and get there opinions too.
I have borrowed my friends very $$$ dig Nikon and the big dollar cameras do take sharper and better pictures but at the increased cost of the camera.
Depending on ones needs there are some very good dig camera's on the market.
Thanks to all the forum folks who gave us those great camera web sites.

Rattlesnake Gal
02-16-2004, 06:59 PM
All the feedback about the cameras has been invaluable. So glad I asked about them. Thanks again everyone! Glad that I am not in a hurry to buy. It sounds like research is the key.
Jeff, you will have to keep us posted on what you find out about your ancestors and Wolfeboro!