PDA

View Full Version : to heat or not to heat

mma75
09-06-2005, 07:17 PM
I have been a long time vistor to the lake and recently purchased a new home. This is our first winter. We plan to use the home during 3 seasons, but remain away in winter. I have read many interesting posts on winterizing, but have not read many comments on whether to leave the heat on in a new home, at minimium tempertures. Yes, I am aware of low temp thermostats.

We love our new home, but the fuel price is going to be tough. Any thoughts, recommondatios or experiences with wallboard, wood floors, appliances, etc during extreme temps.

Thanks.

DRH
09-06-2005, 09:20 PM
I have been a long time vistor to the lake and recently purchased a new home. This is our first winter. We plan to use the home during 3 seasons, but remain away in winter. I have read many interesting posts on winterizing, but have not read many comments on whether to leave the heat on in a new home, at minimium tempertures. Yes, I am aware of low temp thermostats.

We love our new home, but the fuel price is going to be tough. Any thoughts, recommondatios or experiences with wallboard, wood floors, appliances, etc during extreme temps.

Thanks.
My parents had an island home on the lake for almost 20 years. They closed it up each year in late October and did not return until ice-out the following spring. They left the heat off all winter and never encountered any problems with the house's structure, appliances, furniture, etc.

If you decide to leave the heat off during the winter, it is critical that you make absolutely sure your entire plumbing system has been completely drained of water when you close up for the winter. Many people put non-toxic RV antifreeze in all toilet, sink, shower and bathtub traps, the dishwasher, the washing machine, etc., when they close up to make sure any standing water that is difficult to remove is replaced with antifreeze.

phoenix
09-06-2005, 11:45 PM
i alos have shut down for 20 years without a problem but have a plumber shut down and open up . The one time i did it myself i blew the heating element in my water heater and paid more to replace than the cost of shuting down . We have always used Ferrante Plumbing

Bear Islander
09-06-2005, 11:48 PM
If you are not going to use the home in the winter then you should consider electric heat. Electric is the cheapest to install and the most expensive to operate. However if you are not heating in the winter your operating costs will be low.

With electric you can have a thermostat in every room and save money by only heating the rooms you are using. It's safe, clean, quiet and takes up very little room.

Drain the water for the winter and shut the heat off.

To be fair I should mention I'm an electrician.

islandAl
09-07-2005, 06:43 AM
Any thoughts, recommondatios or experiences with wallboard, wood floors, appliances, etc during extreme temps.

Many years with no heat in the winter except when we go up snowmobiling. Taking the cold place and warming and then it gets cold again when we leave. Have had no problems with the wood floors, wallboard, refrigerator, micowave or anything else. Just make sure you do a complete job of winterizing. also remember to leave the faucets open to allow any trapped air to excape and lingering droplets in the pipe to evaporate. I use RV antifreeze in the drain traps. Any washing machines or ice makers will need to have the water totally removed. I use portable air compressor, like what you would carry in a car; to blow out my electric water heaters, not storage but small instant heaters at each sink. Should work for ice maker.
By the way, the lake is still great in the winter, just check with someone who has been around for a few winters before going onto the ice. Many tricky spots.