PDA

View Full Version : Condo association Management Company?

Lakewinniboater
09-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Anyone out there currently using a Management Company to run their Condo association? Is there one in the area that people are HAPPY with??

BroadHopper
09-02-2005, 07:20 PM
I experience a condo association that got really bad, the condo fees quadrupled and the board of directors and officers refuse to give up their position. The condo owners finally put up a court fight and dissolved the condo association. Now I own a condex. My half of a duplex and share 2 acres of land. Everyone is happy. Something to think about. :D

Lakewinniboater
09-03-2005, 08:55 AM
yes that can certainly happen! However, we all own our homes.... the association is just for the roads, docks and beach. However, we have real issue with the "board" being TOO impowered.

I do know of a few management companies..... but would like to price it out with one that someone in the area currently uses.

Thank you very much for the input though. Definitely something to think about!!

donnamatrix
11-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi. When we lived at Southdown, we used McCormick Group in Laconia (they manage the Southdown Recreation Association also). They did NOT do a good job, so we went back to self-management. This worked really well, since we had a board with skilled folks who understand what needs to be done! However, we did use the services of Harvard Management (I think they are in Manchester) for accounting and check writing purposes. They are quite good.

MJM
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
My two cents' worth: All you need is a good lawyer, on a retainer, not a company to run things. The lawyer handles all the 'uncomfortable' stuff, as well as makes sure all decisions are legal, etc.

Good luck!

Knomad
11-02-2005, 01:44 PM
It sounds like your association only uses a Condo Management company for maintenance. If that is the case, I'd suggest that you engage the maintenance company directly. Finding a good one is another story. Make sure you followup on references for companies that do the same work.
Most condominium by-laws give the power to the board to conduct all business on behalf of the association. As an association member, you have limited say. You have the right to vote for the board members and participate in meetings. It's like electing someone to reprent you in congress.
Having served on the board of a condo complex for many years, I always say to those who are not satisfied, to get engaged, participate in meetings and run for a position on the board.

itchin for fishin
11-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Stay away from Harvard.

They are in Merrimack not Manchester.

SOMEONEGOTCHA
11-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Stay away from Harvard.

They are in Merrimack not Manchester.

I second and third that qoute :(

Woodsy
11-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Wendy...

My association (4 Seasons) uses McCormick. Like all management companies, there have been some issues. Overall I think they have done a pretty good job. What really makes or breaks a management company is who they contact the services from. better service contractors cost more $$ = higher fees...

On another note, one part of the 4 Seasons decided to manage themselves. There were all sorts of lapses in judgement, and to make a long story short, they were woefully underinsured. Then one of the units burnt... the owners were assesed about $5k per unit to cover the difference.

Good Luck! Its really a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Woodsy

Drummer Boy
03-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Has anyone had any dealings with Evergreen Management Company out of Bedford, NH?

arthurc
03-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Evergreen manages Jonathans landing. They do a pretty good job. Our manager was formerly the maintenance chief here so I bekieve he looks out for us