PDA

View Full Version : First time on Winnie

mcro
07-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Fished the lake for the first time Fri. the 22nd. Drove up from RI 2.75 hours. Put the boat in at Downs Landing in Alton at 8:00am. Fished the right side of Alton Bay for about 1.5 hours and managed only one smallie on spinnerbait. Went out to the main water, turned left and fished the shore opposite Rattlesnake Island. No luck. Then shot across to Winter harbor and picked up one small largemouth on watermellon colored jig. Caught one more small largemouth on a super fluke under the bridge leading to the Basin. That was it for the day. Slow fishing but what a beautiful place! I had my son with me who is home on leave from Iraq and he felt the same even though he caught no fish. Having fished primarily RI and CT lakes I was amazed at the size of this place as well as the water clarity. So where are the bass hotspots during the summer? (Charlie Moore catches them all the time!) It took me 2 hours just to find some lily pads and weeds. Any info regarding summertime bass patterns/locations would be appreciated. I think I may return again this summer and also in the fall so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike C.

Rattlesnake Gal
07-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Judging by how many fishermen come trolling by The Broads side of Rattlesnake Island, it must be pretty good fishing.
Please thank your son for his service to our country. You must be very proud. I’m happy you both enjoyed our great lake.

Jeff Furber
07-25-2005, 05:09 PM
mcro, you picked a good place to fish, however, the majority of the smallies are down deep in 25ft+ of water, you probably should have been on the water at 5am. I know that is a hard chore from 'olde Rhoady, I come from central Mass,so I know how long the drive is.
In the summertime its best to get a room the night before and get on the water early. Then fish the shoals and buoy markers etc.
If Charlie M. was fishing pads he might have been up in Salmon Meadow Cove on Moultonboro Neck or up in Moultonboro Bay in a place called Lee'sMill. Lots of largies up there. He could also have been in a number of various coves. You just have to check them out for yourself as you visit places on the lake.
Don't forget CM picks and chooses his days when the boat traffic is low and fishing is optimum.

When the smallies are deep, from July on, Carolina rigs are good, and even better if you can locate the thin light grass in coves or cabbage weed beds. 1/2oz spider jigs are good too, but be prepared to loose lots of them in the rocky points.
Next time you go try the Center Harbor to Black Cat Is., three Mile and the Beaver Islands. Good luck Jeff

mcro
07-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Thank you Gal and Jeff for your replies. I will return in the fall for a two or three day trip and l'll let you know how I make out.

Mike C.

trfour
07-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Ceter Harborway is the best! Check it out!

Love,
T.

coley
08-16-2005, 06:39 AM
As you look at Winter Harbor from Rattlesnake, the next cove to your right is Jockey Cove. I just posted yesterday about the fishing in there last week. Jockey Cove is the last cove before downtown Wolfeboro. We had pretty good luck fishing in there around rocks in about twelve feet of water. Spinner bait and night crawlers seemed to work best. From alton bay, Jockey is a straight shot across by boat-the water stays relatively flat in there, although watch for tubers and skiers during the afternoon hours. Good luck and glad you enjoyed it-Winni is my favorite place on earth, and I look forward to the one week a year I get up there-well worth the wait!!

NBR
08-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Look for bottom grass, balls of bait or better yet both on your depth sounder in 25' or more. Crig with a 3/4 oz. to 1 oz. sinker( remember lead is not legal at 1 oz. or under in NH). If you find some early shallow fish look deep in the same area after the fish move out of the shallows.

It is a big lake and tough to fish in the summer especially if you normally fish lakes with stained shallow water and lots of cover. A day with a guide would be very beneficial.