PDA

View Full Version : Alton Bay ice

Upthesaukee
04-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Alton bay is out to abeam Harmony Park, with a small channel of open water along the western shore to about the back bay bridge. Ice looks really dark, but then again, so did the sky which probably had a lot to do with the ice. 1-3 inches of snow forecasted for Sunday night, with snow showers on Mon & Tues. Can you spell GRRRRRRRRR (as opposed to brrrrrrrr)? The boat and the golf clubs are screaming at me.

Merrymeeting
04-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Many of us would appreciate a report from those close by the lake. Several of the webcams are beginning to show small open areas, and while the skies are dark, the ice looks dark too. Is it really as fragile as it looks on camera?

I'm sure the temps this week will slow things down, but it still looks like a good wind would do a lot of damage at this point.

Steveo
04-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Anything more updates on Alton Bay ice out progress

Bizer
04-07-2004, 08:34 PM
These photographs were taken about noon on Tuesday, 06-Apr-04, from the town docks in Alton Bay.
http://www.bizer.com/lwspring/0000440617.jpg
http://www.bizer.com/lwspring/0000440627.jpg

upthesaukee
04-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Ice was out all the way to the bandstand today (4pm Fri), and there appeared to be open water in the shallow area off Sandy point where the markers are. We were on Alton Mt road Wed night, and it appeared there was a "river" of open water between Sandy Point and Echo Point going across the bay. Ice is getting really dark. Come on wind and warm weather. :rolleyes:

Sunbeam lodge
04-10-2004, 08:58 AM
I live on the lake and enjoy reading the forum and all the anticipation about when ice is out. As I write this in Naples Florida the temp is 85 and humid. Cant wait until I am on the road heading home.
If it wasnt for the Grandchildren living here I would be home.

playinghooky
04-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Would you believe there were 2 snowmobiles cruising down Alton Bay yesterday? I saw them go past Echo Point around 6:00 PM and returned about 15 minutes later. With all the open water and dark ice they are really taking a chance.

HotDog
04-11-2004, 09:22 AM
It's looks like from those picture it is almost gone!!!!!!! :D

upthesaukee
04-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Well, the end of the bay is pretty open, except for a patch of ice that goes from the Mt. Washington dock to the bandstand then over to the eastern shore then out to about even with the back bay bridge and then back to Mt. Washington dock. That means the ice is in the approximate shape of a tetraoctaquadrapolyhedron :eek: or something like that, and is very very black. Then clear to Sandy point. From Sandy point, ice is very dark, and there is signs of plates of ice having moved and grated up against each other, causing some pressure ridges that are showing up white. didn't go much beyond Keewaydin, but ice looked pretty solid out to Echo Point and beyond, but still very dark. Warm temps and wind may speed up the ice out process. Keep a good thought. :cool: God, I love these smilies!!!!!

lakelovers
04-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Looking at www.weather.com, the forecast for Laconia is 62 degrees on Sat, 72 degrees on Sun & 75 degrees on Mon. I would say that the lake will be open by Mon, if not sooner. Hopefully!!!

RLW
04-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Please don't wish for ice out to quickly as you all know when it's out means where headed for ice back in again and that time goes by way to fast also. :confused:

upthesaukee
04-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Alton Bay was free of ice at 4:30 this afternoon (Sun 4-18). Ice out just has to occur within 48 hours...Broads have little ice left. Come on wind!!!! (Steve O, open up that camp !!!!) ;)

Grant
04-18-2004, 08:30 PM
My bobhouse is still out there!!! :eek:

Steveo
04-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Camp's open. Thanks Dave