PDA

View Full Version : Classic Restaurants Around the Lake?

thinkxingu
07-07-2016, 07:08 AM
Hi All,
While eating at Pop's last night (maybe my new favorite restaurant), my friends and I started to wonder which restaurants around the lake would be considered "classic." Clearly, Pop's fits the bill. I'd be interested in checking some new places out, so please list restaurants that have been around for a long time.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Phantom
07-07-2016, 08:05 AM
George's Diner ......... Meredith ....... "Classic" :)

camp guy
07-07-2016, 08:20 AM
In Wolfeboro, Dockside Restaurant, on the town docks, has been around for a long time. The interesting point with this restaurant is that the building is actually owned by the Town, and the restaurant is run by another party who bids to get the rights to run a business in that space. Technically, I think any business who won the bid could do business in that space, but, for as lonmg as I can remember it has been run as a restaurant (albeit, by several different people).

Also, since 1938, Bailey's Restaurant, now operating as Morrissey's Front Porch, has been meeting the needs of family dining, fair prices, and good food. Morrrissey's is located going out of Wolfeboro to the south, just past the hospital.

Neither of these two restaurants offers tablecloth and linen napkin dining services, but they both offer family-friendly dining at an affordable price, and great ice cream selections.

Dave M
07-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Village Kitchen in Moultonborough falls into the classic category. Been eating there before it moved to present location.
Don't know if its "classic "or not but the Diary Bar(next to gas station) in Center Harbor has been there as long as I can remember.

Dave M

rick35
07-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Harts and Sawyers have been around forever.

rick35
07-07-2016, 08:56 AM
And I remember going by the Tamarack when I was a kid and was surprised that they closed on Labor Day.

jbolty
07-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Center Harbor diner has been there a long time too. So long that one building was worn out and they started over again.

Tamarack Drive In has been in the same spot for at least 40+ years that I know of.

Descant
07-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Tamarack.
Half Moon at the Weirs. Not a great restaurant, but definitely Classic
Paugus Bay Diner
A second for the Front Porch (ne: Bailey's)
Lyon's Den in Glendale (Formerly Gretchen,s, formerly Dorothy's formerly Peter's General Store.)
Many many more, all gone.

Major
07-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Going west on 104 -- Rossi's and Homestead.

webmaster
07-07-2016, 12:14 PM
You might enjoy this thread full of menus from restaurants around the lake. Unfortunately most aren't around any more:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18332

Just Sold
07-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Olde Bay Diner in Alton Bay has been a "Diner" style restaurant for as long as I can remember. 1950's if not longer. Different names/owners but the same basic place with breakfast and lunch menu's.

WINNOCTURN
07-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Village Kitchen in Moultonborough falls into the classic category. Been eating there before it moved to present location.
Don't know if its "classic "or not but the Diary Bar(next to gas station) in Center Harbor has been there as long as I can remember.

Dave M

You are talking about the RED HILL DIARY!

BEST Soft Serve anywhere.

They have a "FLAVOR of the WEEK. Cream Sickle Vanilla/Orange Twist, Coffee/Mocha Coffee/Chocolate, Black Cherry, Wild Cherry.

Best plain old Vanilla.

My favorite VANILLA/CHOCOLATE TWIST!!!!

Bob just put in 2 brand new machines that are making the mix a little colder. You can walk back to the Docks with out your cone dripping down your fingers.

They also serve FOOD!

Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Fried Clams, Clam Strips, Fried Scollops, Fried Haddock and the best ONION RINGS anywhere!

Oh, if you see WATERMELON listed as the weekly special, find a Diary Queen!

Bob, what were you thinking?

jbolty
07-07-2016, 06:32 PM
I don't want to think of how many tons of cones and hot dogs I've had over the years at Red Hill Dairy. At some point it changed from being called Dairy Maid to Red Hill and for the old, old, old people here that location used to be a real estate office.

bruinsfan
07-07-2016, 06:48 PM

I prefer Sunshine & Pa's

Merrymeeting
07-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Olde Bay Diner in Alton Bay has been a "Diner" style restaurant for as long as I can remember. 1950's if not longer. Different names/owners but the same basic place with breakfast and lunch menu's.

My all time favorite breakfast place since my 20's!

Also,

Shibley's on the Pier in Alton Bay
Wolfeboro Diner
Wolftrap

BroadHopper
07-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Most of the classics are gone! Current classics are buildings with different owners. George's and Mames in Meredith. Sandy Point and Pops in Alton. Wise Owl and Ames Farm between Alton and Gilford. Union Diner in Laconia.

Bear Islander
07-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Just returned from a great evening at the "NEW" Woodshed.

The Woodshed in Moultonborough burned down three years ago. The New Woodshed is totally different and yet exactly the same. The floor plan is new, but the look and feel is identical.

Great food, great service.

moose tracks
07-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Rossi's Italian Ristorante in New Hampton has been serving the Lakes Region for over 33 years and George’s Diner in Meredith has been around for at least 20 years. This is where the locals go. Not many establishments last that long.

Mr. V
07-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Soda Shoppe: downtown Laconia.

Been serving up the basics for forty years.

Good breakfasts.

A bit off the beaten tourist path, but a locals' favorite.

hd333
07-08-2016, 10:45 AM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160708/ed88659f578aa4e3824fbf71459a7dc3.jpg

jbolty
07-08-2016, 10:57 AM
Soda Shoppe: downtown Laconia.

Been serving up the basics for forty years.

Good breakfasts.

A bit off the beaten tourist path, but a locals' favorite.

Wow, have not been there in many years. Forgot it was still around. How long ago was it the deer jumped through the window? Maybe 1980?

Thought of a couple more.

CJ Avery's has been around for gotta be 20 years or more and I've always had a good meal there. Been a while though, hope it's still open

and Walter's Basin in Holderness.

Greene's Basin Girl
07-09-2016, 09:41 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160708/ed88659f578aa4e3824fbf71459a7dc3.jpg

Georges's is one of my favorite place to eat. I go in for lunch often and get take-out for dinner several times a month. I also enjoy Village Kitchen.

rick35
07-09-2016, 08:37 PM
I was driving up Main Street in Meredith today and when I saw Phu Jee's I thought of them for this thread. We've never been but they've been in town for years. I remember them in the old strip mall where Hannaford is now. They were next to the old grocery store if I remember correctly.

ktucker
07-14-2016, 06:07 PM
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Hart's Turkey Farm restaurant in Meredith. It's a real classic in its own way - it has been there for over 60 years!

fatlazyless
07-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Believe it or not, the McDonald's in Meredith was constructed and opened in 1987, and their one and only manager, John, has been there from 1987.

How many McDonald's, or how many restaurants can claim the same manager for thirty years?

(This info has been verified and fact checked by a highly reliable source so you better believe it)

Pineedles
07-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Believe it or not, the McDonald's in Meredith was constructed and opened in 1987, and their one and only manager, John, has been there from 1987.

How many McDonald's, or how many restaurants can claim the same manager for thirty years?

(This info has been verified and fact checked by a highly reliable source so you better believe it)

Who would want to be a manager for 30 years? No promotions to regional mgr., VP, etc.? Boring

fatlazyless
07-15-2016, 11:25 AM
As a store manager and cook, he gets to eat free, while upper management probably has to pay full price! And besides, the franchise management team probably works in an office setting, and not in one of their McDonald restaurants. Who knows but could well be that the franchise management team secretly tries not to ever, ever eat any McDonald's food unless they absolutely have to ........ bleech! ... :D:laugh:

Greene's Basin Girl
07-16-2016, 09:55 PM
Who would want to be a manager for 30 years? No promotions to regional mgr., VP, etc.? Boring

I think that statement is a bit harsh. Maybe he enjoys what he does. It isn't always about the money and moving up the ladder.

ApS
07-18-2016, 03:20 AM
Hi All,
While eating at Pop's last night (maybe my new favorite restaurant), my friends and I started to wonder which restaurants around the lake would be considered "classic." Clearly, Pop's fits the bill. I'd be interested in checking some new places out, so please list restaurants that have been around for a long time.
Yup. Agree with Pop's...;)