PDA

View Full Version : Boat Fume Extraxtor Blower

Tomt
10-25-2015, 06:54 AM
I have googled this and cannot find the answer. I have a 1993 Stingray with a 3.0 4 cyl. Alpha One engine. The blower that extracts the fumes from the engine compartment prior to starting is not working. I cannot find where it is located. I haven't crawled in there as of yet but with my initial scan I couldn't locate it. I can't even find it in the Mercruser manual for the boat. Any ideas?

VitaBene
10-25-2015, 07:04 AM
Follow the white or black dryer vent looking hoses but it is likely high on the transom. Check the fuse?

8gv
10-25-2015, 10:29 AM
You may also wish to check the switch. If you can gain access to it from behind the switch panel, jump the connections.

Tomt
10-26-2015, 05:18 AM
Thank you, I did find it (right in front of my face) I thought it was a strap just holding the vent duct to the transom but it was the fan itself. The problem with the fuses in this boat is they are all inline on each circuit, it's not near the unit and not by the switch when I pulled the dash so it's somewhere in between. I didn't think to jump the switch when I had the dash out. i'll replace the fan (cheap enough) and hope that was it, if not i'll have to troubleshoot it in the spring.

Descant
10-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Fans may be cheap, but so are circuit testers at any hardware store, Sears, Amazon. If you buy the fan and that's not the problem, you'll still need to check the wiring/switch/fuse. BTW some places will not take returns on certain types of electrical parts. Any job that gives an excuse to buy a new tool is a job worth buying the new tool.

8gv
10-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Any job that gives an excuse to buy a new tool is a job worth buying the new tool.

I find this to be true and will add that each new tool opens the door to fixing other things.