PDA

View Full Version : William Tell Inn - West Alton

mcdude
05-20-2005, 10:41 AM
I couldn't find anything on this place in the forum. This restaurant serves swiss/german food and got a very good review on TV Diner when Billy Costa visited the lakes region last summer. They also have a Sunday Brunch. Here is an article about a new stained glass window they have recently installed. CLICK HERE for article (http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050520/CITIZEN0107/105200064/-1/citizen0107)

Has anyone been?....Comments?......

PROPELLER
05-20-2005, 11:05 AM
I dined there once last year with a party of 10 & everyone had a great meal & raved about the whole experience. I would highly recommend giving it a try.

ghfromaltonbay
05-20-2005, 11:39 AM
McDude,

I highly recommend the place. The food and service are great. I am German/Swiss, and they make dishes just like "Grossmutter" made. They have a few seafood dishes and other specials for those not familiar with the Swiss cuisine. Most entrees are in the $15 - 20 range, but they have a bargain early bird special for $9.95 during the week from 5 - 6:30. For example, if you order the Wiener Schnitzel on the early bird special you still get the same salad, potato and vegetable portions, but you get 2 cutlets instead of 3 which is still plenty. You also get a nice basket of crusty bread too. The salad is a European style offering - that is a flat plate with servings of shredded carrot, diced beets, a corn salsa & another section of greens with a house dressing arranged on the plate. The Dining room has white stuccoed walls with light wood beams and windows across the back looking out over the back lawns.
I've never had their Sunday brunch, but the dinners are definitely worth the detour. One thing I especially like is that all the meals come to the table piping hot. I don't like it when the food is allowed to cool off while waiting to be brought from the kitchen. You can see the steam coming off everything when it comes to the table.

donnamatrix
05-20-2005, 12:04 PM
The appetizer of veal dumplings in cream sauce is to die for. Great food, fair prices, and terrific people who own and run this restaurant. Plus they have a resident 16 year old cat who sleeps on his bed (or anywhere he wants) in the bar!!

gravy boat
05-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Outstanding food and great atmosphere! I used to work there when they first opened (I was the first employee they hired) and can tell you that the owners are wonderful people. Our family has been dining there for years. And 1 year ago (on May 22) we had our wedding and reception at the William Tell. And I have to say that it was wonderful -- the food, the staff, the hospitality, everything.

And the veal dumplings ARE to die for! Even if you're on a diet, be sure to have some of the farmer's bread served with every meal.

It is also the best deal with the best food for Sunday brunch.

Enjoy!

Gravy

Lady Di
07-06-2005, 10:33 PM
The atmosphere is wonderful, or was, the service was very efficient, and the view was fabulous. My date and I had a window seat, and I watched the sun set over the lake, while we dined on fine wine and schnitzel and a wonderful pickled beet salad.

I would highly recommend it. That is, the restaurant......not the date.

Pam
07-11-2005, 03:03 PM
My husband and I ate at the William Tell a couple of weeks ago and had a wonderful, very unique meal- a cheese fondue for two that was great.

I was not particularly impressed with the atmosphere, but loved the fondue. The waitress was very nice also.

mrportjeff
07-12-2005, 03:39 AM
I dined there last summer and had a great time as did my wife and two friends. Food was good and so was the service!