PDA

View Full Version : Canvas Cover

Sue Doe-Nym
06-22-2015, 08:42 PM
Who has had recent experience with the 3 canvas boat cover makers on the north side of the lake>? Beverley Lapham in Meredith, Greg Johns in Moultonboro, and Melvin Village Canvas. Thank you in advance.

fatlazyless
06-23-2015, 07:08 AM
My boat, a 1992-16' Alumacraft side steer with a small windshield and a 40-hp outboard continues to get the protection job done with a Sunbrella cover made by Village Canvas-Bev Lapham in 1993. One of these years or months, it needs to be replaced? So's how much will it cost, and do all three different canvas makers charge the same price for a 16'-er?

Can recall paying about $600 back in 1993, which was expensive, but it was very well made, and it gets re-waterproofed every two years with something like a 13-dollar gallon of Thompson's water seal, sprayed on while still on the boat.....and very easy to do with an el cheapo, ten dollar, 1-gal garden sprayer.

paintitredinHC
06-23-2015, 10:26 AM
Bev does a fantastic job. Well thought-out design/layout. He is expensive, but you get what you pay for.

That, and he has killer dance moves.:banana:

AC2717
06-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Second Bev at village canvas in Meredith

WakeboardMom
06-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Bev does a fantastic job. Well thought-out design/layout. He is expensive, but you get what you pay for.

That, and he has killer dance moves.:banana:

We've had Bev do several jobs for us, all splendid. We've sent friends who have all given rave reviews.

And, yes, he does indeed have killer dance moves.

LSBA Joker
06-23-2015, 08:01 PM
another vote for Bev. He replaced the trim on my bow and cockpit covers for a very reasonable price. Originally made by him some number of years ago and otherwise still in great shape and fits perfectly.

SAB1
06-23-2015, 08:10 PM
Melvin bought out Canvas Plus which was located just down the road. Rick owned canvas plus and did the work with his wife who is now running it at Melvin. quality work. They have done a lot for me and many friends.

DickR
11-13-2015, 07:40 PM
Another vote of confidence for the canvas shop at Melvin Village Marina. I just had a badly worn original equipment front cover redone there, and I like the new one very much. They matched the material and color of the rear cover made at Village Canvas 18 years ago and still in good condition. I would have had it done in May, when I was towing the boat for launch anyway, but they were very busy then and suggested later, so I just lived with the old, deteriorating cover until boating was over for the year. Recently I called to see about dropping off the boat after haul-out and cleanup. Despite being told that they still were quite busy, and that I might have to leave it for a week (which was fine with me), turnaround time was just a couple of business days, as it wasn't all that big a project. They changed the design of the center pole support from the original projection through a grommet to a nicer looking snap-under design. That was a nice touch.

Sue Doe-Nym
11-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Bev's the best - quality work at a reasonable price !