PDA

View Full Version : Samoset Thieves Arrested!

Butch
02-14-2004, 06:43 PM
A while back there was a posting on here about the condos at Samoset that were broken into. Well, good news to report. My condo was one of those broken into and robbed. I got a call this morning from the Gilford Police and they arrested two men in their 20's who are responsible for the crime. They said they got a break when some of the merchandise stolen from my condo was sold to a pawn shop in another town...I think they said Plymouth. That brought them to these two men and they found them with the rest of the merchandise that they had stolen over time...including $20,000 in equipment that they stole from Belknap Landscaping. The detective I talked with said that the condos at Samoset were only a small part of what they had done and they are now facing some major larceny charges and jail time. Best of all for me, NH has a law that requires guilty parties to pay for stolen merchandise so I will be able to recover cash for the items that were taken.

It was certainly a great way to start my Valentine's Day...until it was ruined by news that A-Rod was going to the Yankees...but, oh well, at least these guys were caught.

Also, I have to say I was very impressed by the Gilford Police. From the moment we reported the break-in to them, they were great to work with. Very polite, professional, and patient with us and the others who had goods stolen. Kudos to them for doing a good job with this whole process...

If anyone sees any articles or anything about this arrest, please point me in the right direction. I have not seen anything yet but I am looking...

WTB
02-15-2004, 10:37 AM
That's fantastic news for you. We all need to support our local and state police for they have an unbelievably tough job these days yet they coninue to work often on very limited town budgets! Don't hold your breath believing that these "slugs" are going to pay you back for what they stole however. As the old saying goes you can't get blood from a stone.

TDawg
02-15-2004, 09:26 PM
I just received an email from my real estate agent up there telling me they caught the thieves who broke into Samoset units. Do you know how many units?

Butch
02-16-2004, 02:04 AM
I know of four units that were broken into. There may have been more, but the only ones I am certain of are the four that were in my section. Different items were stolen. We had a stereo, jewelry, CDs, radios, and a few other small items stolen. The unit next to us had roughly 100 DVDs stolen among other items. I did not see the other two. Looking at the damage in ours and our neighbor's, however, it was very clear from the start that they knew what they wanted. They went through every drawer, closet, cabinet, and room...turning everything upside down...but only taking certain items. They took the CDs, for example, but left a valuable pair of crystal figurines. They took the stereo but left the jar of money that was next to it (only about $10 of bills and change in it). Anyway, it appears they made even larger thefts from other places...like Belknap Landscaping. The detective was confident about them facing jail time because he said it is a large scale case of robbery. Since they found thousands of dollars in stolen goods ($20,000 from Belknap Landscaping alone) it raises the crime to a higher degree of larceny with much stiffer penalties. Sounds like their only mistake was bringing the items to the pawn shop...must have figured nobody would notice in another town.

Anyway, since the break-in Samoset has put dead-bolt locks in the doors of our unit and the others in our section. They are debating whether or not they will put them in every door. That is a good step, but we are asking them for better lighting too. In some parts it gets so dark at night you can hardly see your own two feet.

I am talking with the detective again tomorrow and getting a list of stolen property that has been recovered. I can keep people posted as I learn more...

madrasahs
02-16-2004, 12:11 PM
"Don't hold your breath believing that these "slugs" are going to pay you back for what they stole however."

Maybe you can convince the judge you'll take payment in stereos, jewelry, CDs, DVDs, radios, and a few other small items?

These sound like "experienced" burglars.

Experienced burglars can compromise any dead-bolt lock with a $18 tool bought (or stolen) from a hardware store. Sliding glass doors are no challenge either. You didn't mention if the burglary was at night, but lighting their way probably isn't a solution either.

About all you can do about burglaries in general is to become insurance-smart. (My car insurance, for example, won't insure against any of your stolen items).

-
02-17-2004, 05:03 PM
There seems to be a rash of stealing up there the past couple years .. I had a jet ski taken from my front yard ..There was a ciggarette stolen a month or two ago on rt 11 .. etc etc ..
Great to hear theres 2 less thieves roaming around

Butch
02-19-2004, 12:06 AM
I got my list of stolen stolen items that the police recovered today. The bad news is that only 2 of my items were still in the possession of the thieves: a Festina watch and my Tombstone VHS tape. They got rid of my Bose Stereo but kept a cheaper radio. Most of what they still had was limited to movies, DVDs, and CDs. Reading the list of movies they had was amusing. The titles ranged from Sweet Home Alabama, Lion King, and a Mary Kate & Ashley movie to The Matrix, Heat, and Terminator 3. They also still had an X-Box in their possession. All totaled so far, the detective said they have recovered about $40,000 in stolen merchandise...taken from several locations (small cottages to Belknap Landscaping). He feels "extremely certain" that they will face at least a few years in jail since their streak of thefts are so extensive. We can not get any of the items on the list back yet, though, until it is done being used in trial as evidence. Having over 100 pieces of evidence from different locations makes it a solid case, though, he said. Also, to clarify the money coming back. It is a long process. We agree on a number that is the cash value of all our lost merchandise. As part of their sentencing, they must pay that back. The state makes regular deductions from their pay when they are paroled. So, the detective said that when they reach parole and begin working, they may be forced by the state to pay somewhere between 20 and 50 dollars per week until they lost items are paid for. So, we do get the money, but in small increments and only when they reach parole and/if find work. It is still good to know they are in custody, however, and once their names are released to us we are free to file other charges against them if we choose to.

If I learn anything more...I will keep people posted. For now, it looks like two low-lifes are out of "work"