PDA

View Full Version : Missing swim raft - Alton Bay

ghfromaltonbay
03-19-2015, 04:56 PM
The swim raft, swim lines, round yellow buoys and the NO WAKE buoy are missing from Sandy Point. The raft is a High Country Aluminum raft with plastic decking (approx. 12' x 12') and the swim lines, anchors and no wake buoy had been stored on top of it. It may have gotten loose prior to ice-in and floated out of the cove. If anyone has found a raft this winter, please call the office at Sandy Point 603-875-6000. Thanks!

HellRaZoR004
03-20-2015, 09:03 AM
At first I seriously thought this was a joke on a long winter, but now I'm not sure certain? Hopefully you find it.

On a side note, do people usually leave their swim rafts in the water during the winter?

upthesaukee
03-20-2015, 09:07 AM
Was it on the outer side of the point, or in the cove. That can be a help on where to look.

ghfromaltonbay
03-20-2015, 12:45 PM
The raft was beached and tied on inside the Sandy Point Cove tucked in near the causeway over to Loon Island. In the picture taken several years ago, they still had the old wooden raft shown to the right of the dock. The new aluminum raft had been beached just to the left of this small dock. It was tied onto an iron ring embedded in the wall on the shore. With the lower water levels in the fall, the raft was out of the water when it was put away for the season. Since the owner lives at the other side of the cove, he only realized it was missing this week when he started spring clean up at this end now that the snow is receding. He asked me to post in the Lost & Found as he knew I am a forum member.

Two years ago, ironically, a similar type raft washed up at his house dock and I posted a Found notice on the forum for him. He got a call that the raft belonged to the Christian Conference Center and belonged at their swim area located in the Back Bay. I don't know if it got loose and floated under the bridge out into the bay or if it had "help" floating away.

ghfromaltonbay
04-14-2015, 06:32 PM
The Sandy Point swim raft pictured below has been found! It is frozen in across the bay from the Point (on the 28A side) and must have gotten loose and drifted over there before the lake froze.

Thanks to all for keeping an eye out. It would have been a shame to lose a fairly new raft and all the swim lines.

ghfromaltonbay
04-15-2015, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry to hear about all the stolen docks in the Ellacoya area. Thank goodness that is not the fate of the swim raft. It's just a shame that nothing is safe any more. A house under renovation near here was just broken into and the copper pipes were ripped out.