PDA

View Full Version : Power out on Rattlesnake Island

IslandRadio
01-20-2014, 12:15 AM
Looks as if the power is out on Rattlesnake Island.

Both the IslandRadio webcam (http://www.rattlesnakeisland.net/cam.htm) and Snake Eyes are both stuck on Saturday at about 1:14 in the afternoon.

Anyone else affected by this?

Island Girl
01-20-2014, 08:50 AM
It could be a land issue.

Webbsatwinni
01-20-2014, 08:57 AM
I looked on the co op map and it doesn't appear that there are any reported issues, I think that indicates island issues.

http://www.nhec.com/oms.php

Island Girl
01-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Unless someone calls... It won't show up on the map. So give them a call.:)

IslandRadio
01-20-2014, 10:53 AM
I called it in. The Co-op thinks there's power on the Island, but I reported the outage nevertheless.

Island Girl
01-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Try calling Fairpoint. Sorry I am at work and cannot call anyone right now... if you folks could do it we would all be grateful.

Island Girl
01-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Steve please give me a number I can call... we are troubleshooting with Power co.

IslandRadio
01-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Fairpoint is probably functional, unless the lines are REALLY down. I don't think they can test anything unless there's something working at the other end (in this case, the Island end).

The co-op appears to be acknowledging the outage. It's not on the map yet, but they are now reporting 2 customers who are out in Alton. There was only 1 before I finally made the report this morning.

Island Girl
01-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Do you know from where your power is feed. The trunk, the north feed and the south feed? This is really important to know.

IslandRadio
01-20-2014, 11:44 AM
I sent you a P.M. with my phone number :)

The power comes from the peninsula (the "thumb") at so-called Alligator Point. Then it splits. I *think* we're on the north split (as opposed to before the split) that ultimately goes up and around to your place as well.

Webbsatwinni
01-20-2014, 12:40 PM
You made the board!

Alton 2 4315 0.05%

Slickcraft
01-20-2014, 07:56 PM
As you probably know the Coop has furnished installing "smart meters" and has been working on the data network infrastructure: http://www.nhec.com/pdf/AMI_faqs.pdf

When done they should be able to detect low density outages as they occur which will be good for the islands. I did not see any info as to when that should be.

Rattlesnake Gal
01-20-2014, 08:42 PM
We are on a different feed from the northern end of the island, but have no way to know if power is up. Sorry!

IslandRadio
01-21-2014, 01:38 PM
You made the board!

Alton 2 4315 0.05%

Yeah, but no "dot" on the map showing the location, like they usually do :D

rgilfert
01-22-2014, 06:38 AM
We had an aquatherm bubbler installed last fall to protect our new dock on the island. Obviously it doesn't work when there is a power outage on the island, so my question is...if the water freezes around my dock during an outage and then days later the power comes back on does the bubbler do anything (i.e. will it cause the ice to melt or will it stay frozen for the rest of the winter irrespective of whether the power is on)?

Webbsatwinni
01-22-2014, 08:32 AM
We had an aquatherm bubbler installed last fall to protect our new dock on the island. Obviously it doesn't work when there is a power outage on the island, so my question is...if the water freezes around my dock during an outage and then days later the power comes back on does the bubbler do anything (i.e. will it cause the ice to melt or will it stay frozen for the rest of the winter irrespective of whether the power is on)?

It will chew through the ice, it may take a bit to do but it does. We have been up in the winter and found our bubbler not working, fixed the power issue and it cleared up.

The issue is if the power isnt fixed by spring, but then my sledding trips are gone so that won't happen!

Webbsatwinni
01-24-2014, 07:41 AM
We are down to one, did someone get power back?

District Township
Township # Out # Served % Out
Alton 1 4313 0.02%
Total 1 79672 0%

dowshill
01-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Hi, we are on of the four that don't have electricity and are thinking of having it installed. I was wondering how having the loops connected would affect the power supply/outages on the island. All four have been talking about it w/ some more willing than others but I think if the ball got rolling all would probably do it. I am concerned about being the last one on a long string if we are the only ones who do it. Des anyone have any insight on this?

Moon Light Bay
01-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Any one know how the ice is from Minge Cove to the snake?
Can one walk out?

Thx

Nauti Crew
01-26-2014, 07:34 PM
The power is still out on Rattlesnake. The ice from Rattlesnake landing to the Broads side of the island is 9-12 inches of solid black ice. My husband snowmobiled out there and spent the weekend. He measured the ice every couple of hundred yards on the way out. He said that he saw a lot of snowmobiles on the Broads in front of the island. He also said that there is still open water between Diamond and Welch.

MAXUM
01-26-2014, 07:48 PM
There are power outages in several areas. I had no power on Bear Island when I got out there on Saturday. I called NH Electric Coop, spoke to somebody there, they were unaware power was out. They told me they will not send anyone out until the ice is at least 12" thick and safe enough for their crews. He estimated that maybe by next weekend they may be able to get out there and restore power, it all hinges on how safe they feel the ice is.

Far as the power being out on Bear Island, my guess is that this is a partial outage because last night the light at the postoffice was on, taking a sled ride around the island there was somebody home down on the south part with their place lit up. Not sure if they like I were on generator power or what. So just be aware that part of the island is in the dark so if you're headed out there be prepared.

Beautiful weekend though other than that.

IslandRadio
01-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Right! The Co-op told me the same thing - won't go out until the ice is more than a foot thick. Could be another week - we'll see.

MAXUM
01-27-2014, 09:00 AM
I was a bit surprised that they were unaware of the power being out since I know they have been around replacing all the meters with "smart" ones which not only allow them to read them remotely but also see if they stop responding (IE no power) but apparently they are not 100% done with that so unless they get called they don't know.

I can understand their reluctance to send out a crew over the ice if it's not safe. Hopefully they will make the rounds soon. Ice is plenty thick around Bear Island anyways.

Island Girl
01-27-2014, 06:22 PM
The folks on the phone do not always have current info. I had DSL to my camp for sometime and the FairPoint folks on the phone were telling people there was no DSL to the island.

The power company is the same. Have no fear, fellow islanders are working with the local guys to get power as soon as possible. I hope my webcam will suddenly appear again soon!

IG

rgilfert
01-29-2014, 10:23 AM
I received the following response to an inquiry that I made this morning regarding restoring the power on Rattlesnake Island:

" I did check with our control center about this outage. The crews were working there yesterday. There is a very large beech tree that has fallen, lines are down and poles are broken. Our crews cannot handle the tree themselves and are going back tomorrow with a tree company to handle the complicated removal of the tree. Once the tree is taken care of, they will need to replace the poles and then put up the lines. They are hoping to get power on by the end of the week but it may go until the beginning of next week depending on how long the tree work and setting of new poles takes.
Thank you for your patience while we work to restore power safely."

Webbsatwinni
01-30-2014, 05:15 PM
And we have power!

Webbsatwinni
01-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Current pic

Island Girl
01-30-2014, 05:26 PM
I really missed my view! It looks pretty solid out there....

IG