PDA

View Full Version : Now that we're moving here permanently....

Jeanzb1
08-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Just called Metrocast to inquire about rates for expanded basic TV ($70.95 per month) and high-speed internet ($33.95 per month.) Holy Smokes! I know that Metrocast is the only provider up here, but does anyone know of another way???? We're really clueless about these things. Thank you.

jrc
08-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Do you have the sky view to get Direct TV or Dish? We love Direct except once or twice a year when rain storms block the signals.

Jeanzb1
08-19-2013, 07:26 AM
The prior owners of the house we are buying this week have a dish mounted in a tree. But a dish doesn't provide internet; right? So we would still need Metrocast for that? UGH.

Chaselady
08-19-2013, 07:38 AM
We dumped cable ( time Warner- Tuftonboro ) due to horrible programming. We are much happier with satellite. We do get our Internet from Time Warner, and when on the island Fairpoint supplies us with DSL.
One of the problems we had with TW in Tuftonboro was that we are in the Portland broadcast area....so we couldn't get decent news and would miss some of the millions of football games we like to watch. If you're in Gilford area you won't have this problem.

Orion
08-19-2013, 07:42 AM
If you have Fairpoint phone, they have a DirecTV/DSL-Internet/phone bundle which saves some, but overall still not all that cheap after the first year.

Aguamenti
08-19-2013, 09:06 AM
The prior owners of the house we are buying this week have a dish mounted in a tree. But a dish doesn't provide internet; right? So we would still need Metrocast for that? UGH.

No, we have Internet through DirectTV.

BroadHopper
08-19-2013, 09:16 AM
One of the problems we had with TW in Tuftonboro was that we are in the Portland broadcast area....so we couldn't get decent news and would miss some of the millions of football games we like to watch. If you're in Gilford area you won't have this problem.

I beg to differ. WMUR has lousy and inaccurate news coverage, the closed captioning is terrible and the weather coverage is not that great. I will take WMTW over WMUR any day. Folks in Gilford and Laconia wish they were in Tuftonboro! LOL!

Maybe that is why WMUR showed Gilford on the other side of the lake! :emb:

sum-r breeze
08-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Do you have the sky view to get Direct TV or Dish? We love Direct except once or twice a year when rain storms block the signals.

We looked into it in Mass and had to have a clear shot in a specific direction. I think it was north northeast. Does anyone know for sure and what is the cost for dish tv? I just keep shaking my head when I get my Metrocast bill for over $70.00 a month for what amounts to basic cable.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back

MAXUM
08-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Best way to find out if you have a good clean shot at a satellite is to use this web site http://www.dishpointer.com/ Can drill right in to your address with google maps satellite view and overlays the direction to the satellite you need to hit. It'll give you the elevation and azimuth, even the LNB skew if it applies. Even if your not about to point the dish yourself at least you have an idea if you can install one before making any phone calls. They even have a smart phone app you can download for free if you want to use it. ;)

Chaselady
08-19-2013, 01:54 PM
I beg to differ. WMUR has lousy and inaccurate news coverage, the closed captioning is terrible and the weather coverage is not that great. I will take WMTW over WMUR any day. Folks in Gilford and Laconia wish they were in Tuftonboro! LOL!

Maybe that is why WMUR showed Gilford on the other side of the lake! :emb:

Haha, I was comparing Portland coverage to Boston.