PDA

View Full Version : English Lab Pups

Lakemamma
08-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Does anybody know of a good English Lab breeder either around here or MA?

We had to put our baby (13) Black Lab down two months ago to a horrible disease. :( And our breeder is not around anymore. I thought we would wait but after seeing our son (and us) in so much pain and hurt. We would like to start looking.

MV1
08-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Susan at the Meredith Animal Hospital breeds English Labs....They are GREAT dogs...I have a 1-1/2 yr. old chocolate and she is something else. Her kennel is Granite Hill Labs

Lakemamma
08-18-2013, 02:29 PM
MV1, Thank you so much. That's great to know and also that she is so close. I will defiantly be contacting her. Would you mind if I PM you with some questions?

MV1
08-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Not at all....happy to help...so very sorry for your loss. I had to put my 17 yr. old lab down a few years ago..it was the hardest thing I ever had to do..

Guiness
08-19-2013, 05:21 AM
Have two a black and yellow from Minefalls.

I think their site is www.minefalls.com

Good luck and sorry to hear of your loss!

Winnilifer
08-19-2013, 09:44 AM
LM very sorry to hear about the loss of your baby. Amy at Times Square does a great job.

BroadHopper
08-19-2013, 10:34 AM
I registered my black lab years ago online. I can't recall the name of the website but the site has a wealth of information on labs. There was a for sale, wanted, and adoption section. There was also a breeders section with a number of top breeders advertising.

Unfortunately 'Chammie' passed away a decade ago and I think about him all the time. When I retire, another one is on my bucket list! :rolleye2:

ishoot308
08-20-2013, 09:55 AM
For the past 30 years we have bought our Labradors From Sue Willumsen at Willcare Labradors in Kingston, NH. http://www.willcarelabradors.com/

Sue sells exceptional dogs from champion field and show bloodlines and is an AKC recognized "Breeder of Merit". Sue has been a show judge for many years and is president of the National Labrador Retriever Club.

"If" you can get a dog from Sue, I would highly recommend it.

Below is a pic of one of her recent Champion lab and stud dog, Jonathan. This is my dogs Grandfather.

Good luck!

Dan

colt17
08-20-2013, 10:17 AM
we have also used Sue at Willcare Labradors she has great dogs.

BroadHopper
08-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Is that what labs are suppose to look like today?

Chammie was registered and he looks a lot thinner and to me healthier than the picture shown above!

The was a program on NH public television about how breeders are breeding animals these days and many veterinarians are saying they are doing more harm to the animals than good.

dogma
08-20-2013, 11:09 AM
I share the same concern about breeders. As diligent as they are, they still breed within the same group of dogs. Back yard breeding is still the best !

ishoot308
08-20-2013, 01:02 PM
I share the same concern about breeders. As diligent as they are, they still breed within the same group of dogs.

To broad brush all breeders like that is simply not fair and completely untrue! There are many quality breeders out there who adhere to the established breeding standards regarding lineage. These breeders do not breed within the same group of dogs and ensure their lines are healthy and conform to the standards as recognized by the AKC. They should be commended for their efforts to ensure the health and conformity of their dogs and to try and weed out the puppy mills and farms you are talking about.

Broadhopper, no, this is not how labs look now but how they looked for over a100 years! Jonathan is a classic example of an English style Labrador. The exact same style Lakemama said she was looking for. This style of lab is much different than the mutated American bred Lab that you are thinking of as the English labs have a much blockier head, thicker in the neck, and heavier. Their coats are also smooth. The American lab is taller and lankier with a longer nose, thinner head and longer legs, they also tend to be more hyper.

Dan

Winnilifer
08-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Is that what labs are suppose to look like today?

Chammie was registered and he looks a lot thinner and to me healthier than the picture shown above!

Ishoot308 is right.

BH perhaps had an American Lab or Field Lab, they are very different than English (also called) Show Labs. Because of their heavy bone structure they look bigger than American Labs, they are heavily muscled and have wide heads. American labs are very energetic where English labs have a moderate temperment. Their muzzel is longer and their head is typically narrow.

I recently lost my field dog (American Lab-he was chocolate) and still have an English Lab. My American lab was a great hunting dog, never confused with my English, it is the family companion dog. Look in the "Dogs on Winni" thread Bear Island Souths Lab in their post 5-14-13 thats an English. Looks identical to mine.

Most AKC Breeders do a great job - research bloodlines and visit breeders to see the environment the dogs were bred and you will weed out good from bad. There is something to be said for rescuing a dog as well.

BroadHopper
08-20-2013, 02:36 PM
American bred vs English bred. I rest my case. As for American bred being hyper, it is funny that they have excellent disposition when they are around infants. Hyper yet controlled.

I remember well that NH public show. They weren't really criticizing the AKC which is American, but they were criticizing the European Kennel Clubs, allowing them to interbreed within the same family.

A strong case is the German bred German Shepard, the rear hip is so deformed, the dogs have a severe case of athiritis before they become adults. The breeders defend themselves saying they 'weed' out the ones that are bad and 'eventually' the breed will be perfect. 'Eventually' means 50 years from now? I don't think it is fair for the dogs today!

Just like the Siamese cats. In the past the breeders breed only the cats that are crossed eyed. Because the crossed eyes lead to severe blindness in adult years, todays breeders are doing the opposite, Siamese cats now have more normal eyes.

I suppose it is what people judged as show quality through the years.

Aguamenti
08-20-2013, 02:39 PM
For the past 30 years we have bought our Labradors From Sue Willumsen at Willcare Labradors in Kingston, NH. http://www.willcarelabradors.com/

Sue sells exceptional dogs from champion field and show bloodlines and is an AKC recognized "Breeder of Merit". Sue has been a show judge for many years and is president of the National Labrador Retriever Club.

"If" you can get a dog from Sue, I would highly recommend it.

Below is a pic of one of her recent Champion lab and stud dog, Jonathan. This is my dogs Grandfather.

Good luck!

Dan

Small world - my horseback riding instructor back home (actually in RI) has a WillCare lab as well. She's a beautiful dog. They compete in obedience with her.

Lakemamma
10-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Hi everybody,

I wanted to thank all of you for your help.

We were able to bring in a new family member. Sorry the sun was in his eyes. Here he is.

Chaselady
10-24-2013, 08:13 PM
He's beautiful!

ishoot308
10-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Otis is awesome!!

Congratulations!!

Dan

pcmc
10-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Oh wow, he's adorable!
Give him a bunch of hugs and smooches for us.

Your post made my day.

Rattlesnake Gal
10-25-2013, 05:27 AM
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!!! :D

tis
10-25-2013, 06:54 AM
He's so adorable! How can anybody not love a puppy?

Lakemamma
10-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Thank you everybody.... I will make sure to give him lots of smooches and hugs.

Tis, I know what you mean puppy's are great....:)