PDA

View Full Version : Local Hairstylist saves a life!

Rattlesnake Gal
08-17-2013, 06:37 AM

Six weeks ago Paul went to this lady for a haircut. As she was clipping his hair, she asked if anyone had told him about the rather large, not so good looking mole behind his right ear. No one had. Mind boggling, considering how often he gets haircuts! It had definitely been there fir quite some time. It, and an unsuspicious mole on his leg biopsied as melanoma. Paul had surgery at Mass Eye and Ear and is doing well. Thank God Tara had the sense to realize that he might not know about this potentially deadly beast that was hiding in his hair. She literally saved my love and best friend's life! With luck, yesterday's biopsy won't throw up any new red flags. For some reason, my eyes keep leaking some very happy tears of relief. What a stressful time this has been. Tara is truly an angel. :D

We dropped by her shop the other day to give her an update and a thank you gift. She gave us both great big hugs and was so happy that we were able to share this happy ending. Our family is eternally grateful to this wonderful little lady.

Feeling extremely blessed right now - thank you God!

fatlazyless
08-17-2013, 08:19 AM
.....hurray.....yeah....being alive is a lot better than being dead.....doncha know-it.....say-hey.....not to be impolite....but just for drills....have you got any idea how much it all would have cost at the hospital if he had been totally uninsured.......just wondering.....and best wishes for a healthy recovery!

Charlie T
08-17-2013, 09:20 AM
.....hurray.....yeah....being alive is a lot better than being dead.....doncha know-it.....say-hey.....not to be impolite....but just for drills....have you got any idea how much it all would have cost at the hospital if he had been totally uninsured.......just wondering.....and best wishes for a healthy recovery!

That response was totally unnecessary. I know your game is to stir the pot every chance you get but a persons life is at stake here, that is nothing to make jokes out of. Every time you open your keyboard you prove your name should be fatlazyass! It might just be time to grow up.

NBR
08-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Agree with an unnecessary post. Tacky at best!

Newbiesaukee
08-17-2013, 10:24 AM
This is a wonderful story and, as a retired dermatologist/ dermatological surgeon, I can say that I had many patients referred to me by hairdressers, cosmetologists, massage therapists and others who noted something suspicious on their client's skin.

I do not know anything about Paul's specific melanoma but to use a common phrase, this is a teachable moment.

Melanoma is a common skin cancer. There may be a genetic component but sun exposure clearly plays a role. In particular, sunburns in child hood are a specific risk factor, so blistering once a year after a long NH winter is not a good idea.

Most melanomas do not develop in preexisting moles.
Most melanomas are flat dark spots when they begin.
Most melanomas develop in more fair skinned people in sun exposed areas.
Most melanomas are present and curable for several years before they spread and are potentially fatal.
A peculiar early symptom of melanoma is itching in the area of the cancer.

BUT, there are exceptions to all that I stated above.

So what is the lesson? Each of us should be aware of what is on our skin so that we will know if there are any new growths or changes in old skin growths. Anywhere on the body...if you can't see it yourself, enlist a friend.

If you notice anything new or different it should be examined by a professional and, if there is any question, biopsied.

Finally, in answer to FLL's somewhat indelicate question:

The earlier a melanoma is detected, the cheaper it is to treat. Most early melanomas can be treated with relatively simple office surgery with a local anesthetic. In today's prices, the charge in my office for the surgery and the outside lab pathology fee would have been about seven hundred dollars. But this would depend on location size,etc.

Evaluation and treatment for more advanced cases will easily be in the thousands and sometimes much more.

Early detection and treatment does save lives and it is cheaper.

My best wishes are with our Rattlesnake friends.

MAXUM
08-17-2013, 12:25 PM
We're all happy things turned out so well for Paul. Any time you hear cancer it really gets scary as it is usually unforgiving.

Got to give credit to modern day medicine and all the docs out there too, without them being cured simply would not be possible.

fpartri497
08-17-2013, 01:56 PM

Inaproipiate. :emb::eek:

IslandRadio
08-17-2013, 09:18 PM
That's an absolutely amazing story!!! I truly hope and pray that all further tests are clear.

All I can say is WOW!

Joby
08-18-2013, 01:59 PM
As a result of this thread I did a self examination and found a spot that concerns me. Is someone able to suggest a practicing dermatologist here in the Lakes Region that you have confidence in? Thanks Rattlesnake Gal for the thread and best wishes to you!

Little Bear
08-18-2013, 06:24 PM
http://www.apderm.com/ They have an office in Wolfeboro.

ITD
08-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Less, less, less, :rolleye1: sometimes less is more, like less posting, more thinking.:(

Merrymeeting
08-18-2013, 10:28 PM
http://www.apderm.com/ They have an office in Wolfeboro.

I second the recommendation. Used them while living in MA, and now in NH. Very happy with the care.

tis
08-19-2013, 06:32 AM
It takes a long time to get an appointment there though. Good luck, I hope you can.

Island Girl
08-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Glad to see RGuy is doing well. These things are very scary.

IG

Pineedles
08-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Wow, that is an amazing story Celia. Very glad Paul is doing well. Both my wife and I are cancer survivors, and help can come from the most unlikely of sources sometimes. Thank you for sharing your story.

rrr
08-20-2013, 06:54 AM
Paul and Celia - so sorry you had to go through this. Hope it is all behind you. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Unfortunately, from where I sit - 2013 has not been a good health year for men. Please everyone, keep up with the checkups!

ishoot308
08-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Good luck to R-Guy! Glad it was caught early and hope and pray that he is the given the "all clear" sign when tests are complete.

Good luck!

Dan

tis
08-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Mr tis had a melanoma too. He had something bothering him on his back and I had an appt at the dermatologist, so I told him I would try to get him in with me. We went and his back was fine but the dr. found a melanoma on his shoulder. He has to go every three months for 5 years and be checked by an oncologist, though it had not spread. He doesn't have the precancerous and squamous cells that I seem to have so he didn't have to go every three months like I do. I am so happy for that cyst on his back, otherwise he might not have gone in time. Some things are just meant to be. I can tell you we were pretty nervous for a while though.

JMR
08-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Paul and Celia

Gald to hear all is well. We are all pulling for you

JMR
08-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Paul and Celia

Gald to hear all is well. We are all pulling for you

rgilfert
08-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Thanks for sharing! We went through this with our daughter 10+ years ago and it was an extremely scary and stressful time for all of us...but, like with Paul, it was caught early enough and she has had a clean bill of health ever since! Glad to hear that all is well now!