PDA

View Full Version : Shaw's in Tilton closing

Irish mist
08-07-2013, 04:25 AM
Shaw's supermarket in Tilton is closing this September for good. That store has been a ghost-town for many years. Shaw's will also be getting rid of its NH Stop & Shop stores in Manchester.

Slickcraft
08-07-2013, 05:09 AM
If Shaw's closed either the Belmont or the Gilford store and Market Basket moved in that would be great.

SteveA
08-07-2013, 05:54 AM
A lady at Walmart confirmed that all the work going on will indeed be a "Super Walmart' including a grocery store. :confused:

Is "Super Walmart" an oxymoron? :rolleye1: Discuss! :D

SteveA
08-07-2013, 05:56 AM
If Shaw's closed either the Belmont or the Gilford store and Market Basket moved in that would be great.

I keep waiting for the old Hannafords to be opened as a Market Basket. I think I read that the family that controls Market Basket.

SIKSUKR
08-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Shaw's supermarket in Tilton is closing this September for good. That store has been a ghost-town for many years. Shaw's will also be getting rid of its NH Stop & Shop stores in Manchester.

Shaws has nothing to do with Stop&Shop. Shaws is owned by the Albertson grocery chain and S&S is owned by Dutch food giant Ahold. Stop and Shop will be closing all 6 NH stores.

dt5150
08-07-2013, 07:52 AM
no surprise.. shaw's prices are horrible. as soon as market basket came along in tilton, i knew shaw's days were numbered. the gilford/laconia shaws will be next.

AC2717
08-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Believe it or not, the Shaws In Gilford is competitive, with the Market Basket in Tilton when it comes to pricing. I used both. When Market Basket has their crazy sales they win hands down
but since Shaws got rid of their stupid customer cards (eveyone else should to, they are a joke) then they became much more competitive and I have found things the same price if not cheaper

RailroadJoe
08-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Glad to hear that Shaws got rid of their shopper cards.. I stopped going to Shaws because every time they asked me if I had a card or if I wanted to get one. Maybe I will try them again.

Lakesrider
08-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Believe it or not, the Shaws In Gilford is competitive, with the Market Basket in Tilton when it comes to pricing. I used both. When Market Basket has their crazy sales they win hands down
but since Shaws got rid of their stupid customer cards (eveyone else should to, they are a joke) then they became much more competitive and I have found things the same price if not cheaper

Hmmmm...Not so for me. I actually shopped at Hannafords across the street near thee Lowe's in Gilford. Then I went across the street to Shaw's the following week with my receipt from Hannaford's and compared prices. Shaw's was Higher by at least $.10 if not more on almost every item. The only comparable thing I found was the buy three boxes of soda for $10.00.
Candian White bread was $.20 higher as was cans of soup. So now I shop at Hannaford's. I even gave the store manager my reciept before I left Shaw's. He probably just threw it away. And that is why Shaw's in Gilford will probably close as well.

AC2717
08-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Hmmmm...Not so for me. I actually shopped at Hannafords across the street near thee Lowe's in Gilford. Then I went across the street to Shaw's the following week with my receipt from Hannaford's and compared prices. Shaw's was Higher by at least $.10 if not more on almost every item. The only comparable thing I found was the buy three boxes of soda for $10.00.
Candian White bread was $.20 higher as was cans of soup. So now I shop at Hannaford's. I even gave the store manager my reciept before I left Shaw's. He probably just threw it away. And that is why Shaw's in Gilford will probably close as well.

it could be the items I buy vs the items you buy but to me a .01cent to .10 cent difference is not a major deal when I consider the drive back from laconia to tilton and back at $4.00 a gallon for gas and the time spent going back and forth, but I undertsand your review and appriciate it

Lakesrider
08-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Yep I was only mentioning my experience between those two stores because the Hannaford's and the Shaws are right across the street from each other. The cheaper place is gonna win out because there is no difference in distance there. I used to shop at that Shaws all the time because I tried to combine my trips around the lake. Leaving from work in Wolfeboro, I would stop at Laconia Savings, then Lowe's then Shaws, then on to Meredith and the Wining Butcher and Gas at the Circle K then on to Arties for a steak and cheese sub, then to Skellys for an ice cream.....Gotta have my ice cream ya know...and then home to Suissevale....65 miles.:D

BroadHopper
08-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Yep I was only mentioning my experience between those two stores because the Hannaford's and the Shaws are right across the street from each other. The cheaper place is gonna win out because there is no difference in distance there. I used to shop at that Shaws all the time because I tried to combine my trips around the lake. Leaving from work in Wolfeboro, I would stop at Laconia Savings, then Lowe's then Shaws, then on to Meredith and the Wining Butcher and Gas at the Circle K then on to Arties for a steak and cheese sub, then to Skellys for an ice cream.....Gotta have my ice cream ya know...and then home to Suissevale....65 miles.:D

Gas at the Circle K is EXPENSIVE compared to Cumberland's Farms near Funspot. I always consult Gasbuddy app on my 'droid.

Sometimes ShopSavvy will compare prices among food stores.

hig
08-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Horrible prices and too few manned checkouts. Very much like Hannaford actually.

Both chains need to wake up or they will be out of business before long.

Happy Gourmand
08-07-2013, 12:07 PM
My wife seems to think that they have lowered their prices since they did away with the "rewards" cards. They now seem to be more competitive with Hannaford's across the street, but they still are not competitive with Market Basket.
I'm pretty sure there will be more reductions at both of these stores when the Super Walmart is in operation.
I feel badly for all the good folks at Shaw's and now Stop and Shop who will be losing their jobs by the end of the month.

BroadHopper
08-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Stop & Shop & Shaws had did away with reward programs. Everybody benefits.

Hannaford, Super Walmart and Market Basket stick with low prices and very few sales where it is costly to advertised, and readjust the cost as well as stocking.

I think Shaw's will be OK. Lowes made a huge mistake of becoming the 'neighborhood' hardware store, with too many stores close to each other. I notice Shaw's have a small store in Belmont, I'm surprise that remains open as it is situated between the Lowell and Laconia store.

Although I like to shop for staples at MB or Wally World, I think the produce can't be beat at Shaw's and or Hannaford. Shaw's has the best salad bar hands down. When it comes to meat, I had bad meat at all locations. They refund my money and Shaw's double your refund. Which is a good thing but it is still a hassle to return.

I work in Concord off 106 and travel to Laconia. I drive by the Steeplegate Mall and Shaws, Home Depot, Target is right there. On the way home I can stop at Wally World and Sam's. The gas stations near NHMS are usually the cheapest in the area, as is Sam's. I can't complain much about returning something or making round trips.

Irish mist
08-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Shaws has nothing to do with Stop&Shop. Shaws is owned by the Albertson grocery chain and S&S is owned by Dutch food giant Ahold. Stop and Shop will be closing all 6 NH stores.

Thanks. That's right. It's Star Market that Shaw's owns.

Briangie
08-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Just an FYI,

Market Basket will not move into any location they do not own.

Market Basket has a real estate division that owns all of their properties.

Just my opinion, MB wins hands down on pricing over every other supermarket up here. Just one example, a quart of light cream at MB is 1.99, same item at Hannaford is 3.79, Shaw's I've seen it as high 4.09. If I buy two of those creams, that is my gas money to get from Alton to Tilton. Every other savings is money back in the wallet.

I do hate to see anyplace go out of business though, tough for people to lose their jobs, even if its part time work. But in today's economy, either keep up with the competition or else.

brk-lnt
08-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Market Basket has a real estate division that owns all of their properties.

If you really study Market Basket, they are a real estate company with a grocery store division.

Slickcraft
08-09-2013, 08:28 AM
If you really study Market Basket, they are a real estate company with a grocery store division.

In any case their business plan appears to be better than Shaw's.

Diver Vince
08-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Shaw's, Hannaford's, and Market Basket . Frankly. much the same. I'd really like to see something different; like a specialty store. How about a Trader Joe's or a branch of Tuscan Market where we can buy real Italian food?

Diver Vince
08-09-2013, 08:50 AM

I think that's possibly quite true. In fact Ray Kroc once stated that McDonalds real money maker was not pushing burgers but owning the real estate. That's how he made his fortune.

brk-lnt
08-09-2013, 11:12 AM
I think that's possibly quite true. In fact Ray Kroc once stated that McDonalds real money maker was not pushing burgers but owning the real estate. That's how he made his fortune.

I wasn't joking... Market Basket owns all of their locations. They use their grocery stores as an anchor to attract other tenants to the location. Their prices can therefore be lower because the grocery business can be a "loss leader" of sorts (I don't think they actually take a loss on the grocery business, but you get what I mean).

Market Basket makes more income from their real estate operations than from their grocery retail operations, to my knowledge.

jrc
08-09-2013, 12:28 PM
There's some interesting reading about Market Basket (Demoulas) at this site, check the history section.

http://www.mydemoulas.net/

joey2665
08-09-2013, 01:26 PM
There is no offical website/facebook or twitter page for Market Basket Sumpermarkets. Some interesting "facts" about their history on Wikipedia

upthesaukee
08-09-2013, 02:18 PM
http://www.mydemoulas.net/ (http://www.mydemoulas.net/)

If we are heading to Tilton, we check for coupons.

And if you want to do the Facebook thing...

https://www.facebook.com/mydemoulas (https://www.facebook.com/mydemoulas)

Hope that hopes, Joey2665 .

Sorry, I do not do twitter.

BroadHopper
08-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Market Basket makes more income from their real estate operations than from their grocery retail operations, to my knowledge.

The family have extensive holdings all over the US. They have a home on Governor's Island and ocean front property in Rye NH to name a couple.

tis
08-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Really? They have a home on Gov. Island? I didn't know that. They have a home on Tuftonboro Neck, too.

This'nThat
08-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Gas at the Circle K is EXPENSIVE compared to Cumberland's Farms near Funspot.
Not the midgrade.

Patiently Watching
08-10-2013, 03:52 AM
Really? They have a home on Gov. Island? I didn't know that. They have a home on Tuftonboro Neck, too.

Tis, there are two factions of the Demoulas family in the area and the Arthur T. group which run the company summer in Gilford. Arthur S. summers on Tuftonboro Neck.

Their family feud is the costliest civil court case in Massachusetts history and just made headlines again as one faction tried to wrestle control of the company from the other by reshuffling their Board of Directors...

joey2665
08-10-2013, 04:16 AM
http://www.mydemoulas.net/ (http://www.mydemoulas.net/)

If we are heading to Tilton, we check for coupons.

And if you want to do the Facebook thing...

https://www.facebook.com/mydemoulas (https://www.facebook.com/mydemoulas)

Hope that hopes, Joey2665 .

Sorry, I do not do twitter.

I dont do either facebook or twitter I just thought it was interesting in this day and age a 70 store supermarket chain had no "social media" or "offical" website.

tis
08-10-2013, 06:42 AM
Tis, there are two factions of the Demoulas family in the area and the Arthur T. group which run the company summer in Gilford. Arthur S. summers on Tuftonboro Neck.

Their family feud is the costliest civil court case in Massachusetts history and just made headlines again as one faction tried to wrestle control of the company from the other by reshuffling their Board of Directors...

Yes, and doesn't the brother also have a place right beside the Libby Museum? So unless that is another relative, one of them must have two places. I thought one had Market Basket and one had Tedeshi (sp?)

upthesaukee
08-10-2013, 09:31 PM
I dont do either facebook or twitter I just thought it was interesting in this day and age a 70 store supermarket chain had no "social media" or "offical" website.

Joey, if you look at my post, the first link I listed is the website for Demoulas.