PDA

View Full Version : Nature Walk

upthesaukee
02-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Today was particularly nice and after going out for breakfast and then food shopping (never food shop on an empty stomach), came home and had lunch. It was so nice, cool and windy in the open, but I decided to take a little walk through the woods behind our house to see what was out there. I was sheltered from the wind pretty much, and had the foresight to bring my camera. Ended up following deer trails and having a nice walk the way they do. The pictures all have captions on them, so I hope you enjoy the walk. I will have to split this up a bit, but enjoy the walk just the same. Think of it as taking a break for a drink of water.;)

upthesaukee
02-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Here we go, hope the water tasted good.

upthesaukee
02-27-2005, 08:29 PM
There's more...

upthesaukee
02-27-2005, 08:31 PM
This is the last of the walk, hope you enjoyed the walk!!!!! I know I feel better!

BroadHopper
02-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Great pics! It is nice to be able to liive in the Lakes region area. I came up Sunday and took a walk around the Minge Cove area. I saw a lone moose walking down the old railroad bed in back of the marina. I saw plenty of animal tracks on my walk. :)

trfour
02-28-2005, 06:21 PM
You have ********** stars on this!
Thanks Uppy! Excellent!

Pepper
03-01-2005, 12:20 AM
This thread inspired me to take a walk around our place this afternoon. I took my youngest stepson with me, and we found deer tracks, squirrel tracks, bobcat tracks ( measured, used my guidebook, and confirmed by markings, size, and tail-drag marks) some house-cat tracks, and a few turkey tracks as well!

I also went tramping off into the woods by myself, and saw more of the same, but did come upon a strange little track I could not identify! I'll be doing some research on what critter it could be and I'll report back here if I get a definitive answer anywhere.

For what it's worth, it was a very tiny footprint, smaller than a housecat, bigger than a squirrel. The forepaws had straight, long claws which left very clear marks. The claws were longer than the "toes". The rear paws were rather non-descript. Distance between forepaws and rear was maybe two and a half or three inches. Any ideas from any other fellow nature-nuts out there??????

Pepper < wishes she had a motion activated infrared camera in her backyard :D >

Mee-n-Mac
03-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Excellent post. After that walk through the snow I'm all pooped out. Time to sit by the fire and sip on a hot rum drink ! Only thing I might suggest, and this just because of the craziness over critter crap in the other thread, is to post some pics of deer droppings. Okie, ahem, dookie :laugh:

My apologies for steering this thread towards the dung-eon ... ;)

SIKSUKR
03-01-2005, 01:46 PM
M&M what have you dung to this thread? SS

upthesaukee
03-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Actually, I put the camera up to my eye to take a picture of, well, you know, deer s**** (that's stuff, count the asterisks, and shame on you for what your were thinking!!!!), but Grant's "dookie" was just really special, and I couldn't come up with anything quite that original. It was "skat-tered" around in more than one location.

upthesaukee
03-02-2005, 10:41 PM
I mentioned a "major deer highway" in one of the photos , and tonight about 150-200 yards up the road from my house, EIGHT deer crossed the road in front of me, and stopped in the woods. There were 5 mature deer, all appearing to be females, and three yearlings. Quite a site.